• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Official Tomb of Horrors 3.5 conversion (merged)

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
(chuckles most evilly)

I was there when the Tome of Horrors first came out, saw what happened with it, played in it twice, and in the proper spirit of this infamous module, I recommend the following!

1: Make SURE that your players understand this is a Killer Dungeon, and some of their characters WILL die.
2: Make sure your players understand that this is a think-piece dungeon: if they prefer hack and slay, they should attempt another module.
3: Make sure that at least half the party dies in the adventure.
4: Make sure the survivors consider themselves extremely lucky, that it should have been a wipeout.
5: If only one character in the party survives the module, and Acererak is defeated (victory for the party), comment that this is par for the course.

If you are a kind DM, allow the PCs to hire NPC wizards beforehand to create Clones of themselves, that will activate if (when, in this case) their characters are killed.
Then the PCs can say they are sadder but wiser, which is what any and all PCs (even those of 30th level!) should say after taking on the Tome of Horrors!

One more thing: 3.5 is a game of saving throws. The Tome of Horrors was meant as an exception to this rule. The words Tome of Horrors are synomous with No Saving Throw Allowed (as was pointed out in Nodwick.)

Edena_of_Neith

runtime

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20051031a&dcmp=ILC-RSSDND

I must say, I was rather surprised and delighted to see this. I find some of the decisions they made in the conversion fairly interesting, particularly the ones regarding the nature of the final foe in the conclusion. It looks like a pretty solid conversion overall, though.

I wonder if this means we'll be seeing others?

I would love to see a few of the classic AD&D modules converted to 3.5E. But is this a nostalgic bone thrown to old schoolers or an admission that WotC is ceding the market for new adventure modules to third-party companies?

runtime said:
But is this a nostalgic bone thrown to old schoolers or an admission that WotC is ceding the market for new adventure modules to third-party companies?

I doubt it's such an admission, since WotC's only recently announced that they're about to start doing modules again. :)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
So far every edition of D&D has had this adventure in it, in some form or another. :)

Now, how loudly do we have to yell and scream for them to update Return to the Tomb of Horrors for us? The little blurb at the beginning isn't nearly enough.

Anyone notice that the list of possible locations for the Tomb now takes Forgotten Realms and Eberron into account?

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Originally posted by Alzrius
Anyone notice that the list of possible locations for the Tomb now takes Forgotten Realms and Eberron into account?

If they continue to revise older modules, they could list possible locations for the tomb to be ANYWHERE, and I wouldn't care.

Originally posted by Mouseferatu
I wonder if this means we'll be seeing others?

I hope so. There are definitely some cool older modules which I would like to run, but don't feel like converting myself since I'm not good at that.

Crothian

First Post
Ahh...this is so sweet. I was thinking of running it for my guys as they've never played it and this is a sign from the gaming gods!! My players will go through the tomb. Time to start ideas for the follow up campaign. :lol:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Dog_Moon2003 said:
If they continue to revise older modules, they could list possible locations for the tomb to be ANYWHERE, and I wouldn't care.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm just pointing it out.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
TOH for 3e

Well, WOTC has finally upgraded Tomb of Horrors to 3e. And the demilich is a construct with a fortitude save of 23 for the soul suck. Bleh. I think I'll pass on this one.

Remove ads