• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Official Unofficial 4E Rules FAQ

StormCrow42

Explorer
My question:
For the teleportation effect of Elemental Maw (in addition, you teleport that creature to a square within 20 squares of you), can you teleport the target vertically? For instance, can you in that case teleport the target 20 squares into the air, causing them to fall and take another 10d10 falling damage?
The answer:
Tony said:
Yes, you may teleport that creature vertically. Please let me know if you need anymore help!

Balgus

First Post
Quick question:

Fighter weapon talent: "Choose either 1-handed or 2-handed weapons. When using a weapon of your chosen style, you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls."

If I choose 2-handed, does that apply to ranged weapons as well?

Last edited:

Ravingdork

Explorer
Given the quantity of FAQ scraps floating around all over the place, I thought it would be useful to create a site to pull all these bits n pieces together. Here's the link:

dndfaq.com

I grabbed a lot of 4e FAQs out of this thread- hope thats OK. Also, given the site is brand new, Im looking for some people to be admins. Anyone interested? Hope you guys find the site useful. Please use the suggestions link liberally and I'll do my best to accommodate!

Do Allies Grant Cover for Stealth?
No. Allies grant cover against ranged attacks, not cover.

I found the above passage on your site. I just wanted to let you know that I've seen people post CS answers that directly contradict your answer.

WOLead

First Post
I was curious about this one.

Customer (WOLead) 06/29/2008 01:44 PM
Do the teleportation bonuses from Eladrin Boots and Eladrin Armor stack?
[sblock]Response (Support Agent) 06/29/2008 02:25 PM
Yes, these bonuses stack.

Evan T.[/sblock]

Seeker_of_Truth

First Post
On Divine Miracle

I asked custserv [sblock]Can Divine Miracle be used to recover a utility encounter power that takes a free action to use for an nearly infinite number of uses in a single round?
Examples:
Master of Deceit(Page 119): If this is the final encounter power a demigod has available can he use it, recover it, use it, recover it until he's rolled a 20 on his bluff check.
Pray for more(Page 100): Similarly could this power be used to ensure that maximum damage is rolled? When combined with the vorpal weapon property(Page 236)could this lead to near infinite damage? (I know that the DM can and probably would limit the number of free actions available in this case as the rolling would take an eternity).
Channel Divinity: Divine Fortune(Page 62): Similarly could this power be used to gain a very large bonus?
Channel Divinity: Kord's Favor(page 198): Similarly can can this be used multiple times from a single trigger event?
Does the limit on using one one channel divinity power per encounter stop you from using the same power more than once in an encounter?
Elven Accuracy(Page 40): Similarly can this power be used and recovered until all the attack rolls made are crits?
[/sblock]
Evan replied
[sblock]James,
Yes, Divine Mircale can be used to recover a utility encounter power that takes a free action, as you suspect.
Considering your first example, Master of Deceit, You can do this, but you will have to have used all of your other powers before you use this. And, displaying a bunch of attack powers may hurt negotiations.
For your second example, "pray for more" has you take the second roll, so it does not matter how many times you use it, you get the second roll.
For your third example, Channel divinity is not a power, but a class feature that gives you access to a group of powers to use, so you can not refresh your ability to use channel divinity with divine miracle.
For your fourth question, "Does the limit on using one one channel divinity power per encounter stop you from using the same power more than once in an encounter?", the answer is yes, it does.
Concerning Elven Accuracy, similar to pray for more, you are required to accept the second roll.

Hope this clears things up!
Please write us back if you require any further assistance.
We would appreciate your feedback on the service we are providing you. Please click here to fill out a short questionnaire.
To login to your account, or update your question please click here.
Evan T.
Customer Service Representative
Wizards of the Coast
1-800-324-6496 (US and Canada)
425-204-8069 (From all other countries)
Monday-Friday 9am-6pm PST / 12pm-9pm EST[/sblock]

I am posting this because I would like your website to be as accurate as possible so that I can use it as a resource. So please update your section on "Do Allies provide cover for Stealth".
I apologize if this knowledge is well-known, as I might have missed a Stealth thread here and there (there's so many!). I also apologize for any perceived posturing in my letter- it was initially intended to be private between the CSR and me, but I decided that I should share it with everybody. My letter:

I consider myself rather well-versed on the rules, and as a high school math teacher, I rarely stumble over numbers or logic. Unfortunately, Stealth is giving me a tough time, and from what I've seen on the message boards, it's a common topic in the Rules Q&A section. So, before I ask my question, I wanted to recommend that you provide the community a long list of examples of its use (only two are provided in the PHB). I recommend this based on my experience as a math teacher- I know my definition of a trapezoid is clear and concise, but I also know that most of my students will still need several examples of what a trapezoid is, as well as examples of what a trapezoid is not.

My question: Do allies provide cover for Stealth checks, or just for ranged attacks?

My understanding is that allies can provide cover for Stealth checks, based on the following:
General Rule: "Solid obstructions that can physically deflect or stop objects [such as allies or enemies] are considered cover." (from first paragraph under "Cover and Concealment", p280. The words in brackets are my interpretation.)
Specific Rule: "Your allies never grant cover to your enemies, and neither allies nor enemies give cover against melee, close, or area attacks." (from fifth bullet under "Cover", p280)

Others have argued that the "solid obstructions" need to be terrain. Therefore, they see it as.
General Rule: "Solid obstructions [terrain, not people] that can physically deflect or stop objects are considered cover."
Specific Rule: "When you make a ranged attack against an enemy and other enemies are in the way, your target has cover." (from fifth bullet under "Cover", p280)

You can find the thread with this debate under the title "I stealth behind the halfling". I'd like to know the answer to this in case I begin DMing for LFR, where house ruling is discouraged. Thank you for your time.

CSR response:

Thank you for writing.

Allies do provide cover for Stealth checks. I have also passed this along to the good folks that make the games about providing examples to the boards community.

Good Gaming!
Also a link to the thread http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1053612

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads