• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OGL for 4th is still in? or out?

Druchii

Explorer
I'm curious to know if OGL will still be used in 4th ed.?

If yes? then other companies can produce product for this new 4th ed. game. (Yes!!!)

If no?
Are these companies still allowed to produce 3.5 books?

If no?
Then Wizards really used all these people to make tons of money and threw them all aside after using them (yes they made money too, by doing all the work).
If this OGL is a no go, I find myself perplexed?
Do I support a company? that is now prepared to leave all these people that built them up and they have familes and mouths to feed, car payments, etc,etc.....
I find myself wanting to scream to the heavens that Wizards is a #$%@ company that uses people.
I hope I'm wrong and the keep OGL as it will affect my 4th ed. purchases (none at all).

F4NBOY

First Post
Druchii said:
I do hope the allow it, for some or all.
I hate to see people suffer just so wizards can make a bigger buck.

They are not doing it for phylantropy.
The more other companies release books that require WOTC books, the more bucks WOTC gets.

JustKim

First Post
Did you read the other thread?
During the countdown to the announcement, after WotC had "accidentally" opened the 4E forums and given away what was going to be announced, Joe Browning (of Expeditious Retreat Press) posted that, based on some information he had as a publisher, he believed 4E was going to require a licensing fee. Since the 4E announcement had not actually been made, a whole day went by where WotC could not comment on the issue.

Once the announcement was made, WotC has confirmed in various placed that 4E will be OGL and it will be free to use. Browning was mistaken.

F4NBOY

First Post
Do I support a company? that is now prepared to leave all these people that built them up and they have familes and mouths to feed, car payments, etc,etc.....

Do you realize WOTC is based on USoA and it's capitalism-friendly country. ;)
No one that has been screwed by business motives can whine about that, it is how it works in capitalism and you can't say you weren't warned. Don't blame anyone and go find another job :D

Moon-Lancer

First Post
JustKim said:
Once the announcement was made, WotC has confirmed in various placed that 4E will be OGL and it will be free to use. Browning was mistaken.

so, 4e is not going to have a 2 tier ogl, one free on gleemax, and the other one pay?

are you saying its going to be much like the 3.5 ogl?

*edit*

I followed the link, no need to respond. I'm so happy.

JustKim said:
While JB may have been mistaken, you will notice that there are no d20s anywhere near the 4e announcement. I'm guessing that while there will be an OGC SRD, the "Requires the use of the Dungeons and Dragons Player's Handbook" stuff will go the way of the dodo OR require a paid license.

This is speculation on my part. I know nuh-think.

So what if I as an aspiring game designer decided to write a 3.5 game after 4e that mimics some aspects of the new game and make my own PHB, DMG or MM?

Alternative20. A d20 game that uses the best aspects of 3.5e and 4e.

Moon-Lancer

First Post
you would have to include both the 3.5 ogl and 4.0 ogl in your book, assuming the 4.0 ogl is the same as the 3.5 ogl, unless the 4.0 ogl includes 3.5 as well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads