• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OGL SRD on the iPhone

GneralTsao

First Post
As a first shot at an iPhone App, I made an initiative tracker (I'm aware of existing ones—I thought it would be a good excercise) and I was looking to prepopulate the database with names and initiative bonuses for existing creatures. Based on my (very amateur) understanding:

1) The interactive product provision of section 5.5 of the GSL would not allow me to do this. Even if that weren't the case, initiative modifiers aren't in the 4e SRD, so I wouldn't be able to do that.

2) I could use the OGL's SRD, provided I reproduce the OGL license.

If these are correct, then I still have a few questions:

1) Under section 8 (Identification), how would I identify the OGC I'm reproducing from the SRD? Would it be fine if I gave a long list on a screen that showed legal information (which would also have the OGL copy), or do I have to have a footer on every creature screen saying if it's OGC or not?

2) Since I'm not contributing any original OGC and merely reproducing existing, I don't need to add myself to section 15 (COPYRIGHT NOTICE), right?

3) I thought I'd read something about a requirement that you had to have an accessible copy, but I can't find it now. If there is any such provision, it only applies to original OGC and not copied OGC like in this case, right?

Standard disclaimer: I realize anyone who replies is not necessarily a lawyer, but anything to point me in the right direction would be most appreciated.

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
1) The interactive product provision of section 5.5 of the GSL would not allow me to do this.
I believe this is correct.

2) I could use the OGL's SRD, provided I reproduce the OGL license.
I believe this is correct.

1) Under section 8 (Identification), how would I identify the OGC I'm reproducing from the SRD? Would it be fine if I gave a long list on a screen that showed legal information (which would also have the OGL copy), or do I have to have a footer on every creature screen saying if it's OGC or not?
IMO, neither. A statement claiming "all monster names and monster statistical data are Open Game Content" should be sufficient.

2) Since I'm not contributing any original OGC and merely reproducing existing, I don't need to add myself to section 15 (COPYRIGHT NOTICE), right?
IMO, you should add your product's title, copyright date, and copyright holder (yourself, I take it) to your product's Section 15 listing.

3) I thought I'd read something about a requirement that you had to have an accessible copy, but I can't find it now. If there is any such provision, it only applies to original OGC and not copied OGC like in this case, right?
I don't know what you mean by an "accessible copy," and I can't find a provision in the OGL 1.0a regarding such a thing.

Nellisir

Hero
IMO, you should add your product's title, copyright date, and copyright holder (yourself, I take it) to your product's Section 15 listing.
Correct. You may not be adding OGC, but you are modifying and distributing existing OGC. See section 6 of the OGL.

I don't know what you mean by an "accessible copy," and I can't find a provision in the OGL 1.0a regarding such a thing.
I'm guessing what he means is that yes, you must include a copy of the OGL with every version of the app you distribute, and said copy must be viewable by the consumer.

GneralTsao

First Post
Thanks for your help, everyone!

I'm guessing what he means is that yes, you must include a copy of the OGL with every version of the app you distribute, and said copy must be viewable by the consumer.

Sorry—rereading that, it's definitely unclear (and I might be referring to something that doesn't actually exist...). I thought I had remembered seeing something about having to make any open content available in a plain-text format (the intention, I'm guessing, being similar to why one is required to re-release source code in a GPL), say as a CSV.

I may have read that in discussion about the GSL (before I decided not to go that route) or I may be pulling that out of thin air (I can't seem to find a clause in the OGL that actually says that).

Nellisir

Hero
Thanks for your help, everyone!

Sorry—rereading that, it's definitely unclear (and I might be referring to something that doesn't actually exist...). I thought I had remembered seeing something about having to make any open content available in a plain-text format (the intention, I'm guessing, being similar to why one is required to re-release source code in a GPL), say as a CSV.

I may have read that in discussion about the GSL (before I decided not to go that route) or I may be pulling that out of thin air (I can't seem to find a clause in the OGL that actually says that).

No, I recall something about that, though I don't pay much attention to computer-specific legalese. I suspect it was tied up with the d20 license and the OGC requirements therein, rather than the OGL. I could be wrong, though.

Angellis_ater

First Post
D20SRD.net solved it pretty neatly with a footer link to the OGL license and then had it on one place. Perhaps the same can be done for an iPhone app?

Remove ads