Oh, those hilarious Evony ads...

Asmor

First Post
Blocking the ads you get paid for server side sounds like a really good idea... err... not. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Well, not all ads are flash-based. If adsense had an option to only show text and image ads, theoretically that shouldn't bite into ENWorld's revenue.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I don't mind the ads. I'll never click th link or play the game, but boobage doesn't realy bother me. Thought it'd be a novelty to be the first person in the thread to say that. :)

I don't understand the NSFW...maybe the latest bra close-up ad...maybe. But cripes, it's really not that bad.

As for the can't view ENWorld at work...lol? People walking by before saw you had a message board page open, and upon any inspection at all, a D&D one (as opposed to work related, or whatever), and didn't care. But now that there's sidebar ads of attractive women, they're on to you? My coworkers would poke fun at me when I looked at ENWorld at work -- they didn't care, when it was slow/dead, they'd similarly goof off -- but never for the ADVERTISING! They'd make fun of the fact I was so into reading about D&D. If my boss caught me and was stricter on never looking at non-work content even when there's nothing to do...I'd get fired. Again, not cause of some ad.

Asmor

First Post
I don't mind the ads. I'll never click th link or play the game, but boobage doesn't realy bother me. Thought it'd be a novelty to be the first person in the thread to say that. :)

I don't understand the NSFW...maybe the latest bra close-up ad...maybe. But cripes, it's really not that bad.

As for the can't view ENWorld at work...lol? People walking by before saw you had a message board page open, and upon any inspection at all, a D&D one (as opposed to work related, or whatever), and didn't care. But now that there's sidebar ads of attractive women, they're on to you? My coworkers would poke fun at me when I looked at ENWorld at work -- they didn't care, when it was slow/dead, they'd similarly goof off -- but never for the ADVERTISING! They'd make fun of the fact I was so into reading about D&D. If my boss caught me and was stricter on never looking at non-work content even when there's nothing to do...I'd get fired. Again, not cause of some ad.

Strange though it may seem, not all work places are identical in nature to yours.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
So you're saying there are places to work where browsing on a non work-related site is ok, but you would be held accountable for the google sidebar ads you have no control over and aren't actually indecent in any legal sense?

Obryn

Hero
So you're saying there are places to work where browsing on a non work-related site is ok, but you would be held accountable for the google sidebar ads you have no control over and aren't actually indecent in any legal sense?
Shockingly enough, not everyone works in an area where management cares about the difference between an ad and site content, especially when they're just wandering by and glancing over at your screen. Congrats if you work in a company which does, but it's poor form to rub it in the noses of people who aren't so fortunate.

Also, a good many places work on a "don't push it" basis. Non-work stuff could be a grey area, but nobody will say anything so long as it's not inappropriate. These ads push that boundary. And as for me, I'd rather not explain to the division director that it's just a gaming site, and that the boobies really weren't my fault. Whether or not I'm allowed non-work browsing (which I am, clearly), I'd rather not chat about it with the boss.

-O

MarkB

Legend

There's a difference between not being held accountable and not suffering any impact. It's easy for work colleagues, or indeed superiors, to draw erroneous conclusions as to the nature of the site you're browsing based upon the very obvious, eye-catching advert sitting next to it - especially when it's labelled "Visit Our Sponsors".

Remove ads