• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OK. Absolutely everything is underpowered...

rhm001

First Post
According to the various threads/posts on 4e so far:

Half elves? Underpowered. Humans? Underpowered. Tieflings? Underpowered. Eladrin? Underpowered. Halflings? Small, so underpowered. Melee Rangers? Underpowered. Rogues? Underpowered. Warlocks? Underpowered. Warlords? Underpowered. Wizards? Underpowered. Greatswords? Underpowered. Two Handed Weapons in general? Underpowered.

Have I forgotten anything? No? Good. Now we can all build our armies of fully optimized, low Int dragonborn Paladins and march forth to take over the weakling "points of light" campaign worlds!

*stomps feet, pulls hair and lets out a Howard Dean-esque scream*

Seriously, can people try and tone down the "weak" language until we've all actually played characters FOR A WHILE, rather than just building sample characters? No? Yeah, I guess I should've seen that coming. Flame away!

Mirtek

Hero
rhm001 said:
Seriously, can people try and tone down the "weak" language until we've all actually played characters FOR A WHILE, rather than just building sample characters? No? Yeah, I guess I should've seen that coming. Flame away!
Well, the designer boasted how great their math is in this edition. If it's truly so great, we should be able to determine anything with cold, hard, unfeeling math.

No need to play first :D

AlexS

First Post
So if everyone's used to everything being overpowered, and now everything seems underpowered, does that mean that everything is actually balanced?

Regicide

Banned
Banned
No splat books yet. We've gone from being able to deal thousands of points of damage or having save or die on anything but a 20 back to what it was like with just the 3E PHB. It takes splat books to make a pun-pun

malraux

First Post
Regicide said:
No splat books yet. We've gone from being able to deal thousands of points of damage or having save or die on anything but a 20 back to what it was like with just the 3E PHB. It takes splat books to make a pun-pun
yeah, but it takes a 3e PHB book to make any sort of cleric on the one hand or a half elf monk on the other.

caudor

Adventurer
The game is new (and at this point not even released). More crunching goodness will be forthcoming for sure. They were indeed limited on how much can squeezed everything into 3 books.

I'm sure at level 28-30, things are not going to feel so underpowered.

Kishin

First Post
Mirtek said:
Well, the designer boasted how great their math is in this edition. If it's truly so great, we should be able to determine anything with cold, hard, unfeeling math.

No need to play first :D

Because situational factors in an encounter never influence results in D&D.

At all.

Ever.

Destil

Explorer
malraux said:
yeah, but it takes a 3e PHB book to make any sort of cleric on the one hand or a half elf monk on the other.
Dwarf Cleric with 1 level of fighter, just to push the point home.

I think the most interesting bit is how archery rangers are overpower, rogues are about right and warlocks are undepowered in a lot of people's eyes. The ranger is the easiest to play and looks to have the fewest tactical concerns (shoot the squishy or the biggest bad each turn), while the rogue looks to me to be a powerhouse damage dealer with a tactically adept party and the warlock can really really mess things up, despite lower damage.

I wonder if this is due to people not thinking as tactically as 4E demands to be really successful, and if time will prove the warlock and rogue to be on par or above the guy with the bow...

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads