• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ok. Now I 'get' the epic tier

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Imperialus said:
I dunno, I picture fights at the epic levels at least getting pretty awesome looking.
I've got nothing against awesome, course everybody has their own opinions on what awesome is.

I don't like the crazy wiuxa moves at low levels
I just don't like wuxia at all.:)

Besides if you were going to evolve a fighting style that worked against big freaking monsters like dragons and whatnot it makes sense that you'd be 'jumping around like a pinball' as much as possible just to get the things bloody head in range.
My preferences of awesome are more like impaling it on a harpoon, dragging it to the ground, wading through the firestorm of magic the casters are laying down and bash it's head into a Polaski imitation with a spiked steel club the size of a small buick.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Imperialus said:
I'd say wrestling a dragon to the ground and bashing its head in with a buick fits firmly in the realm of wuxia.
No, wuxia is particularly Asian phenomena, not anything really incredible and impossible. There's no jumping, wearing crappy costumes, dancing on edges of swords/walls/waterfalls/etc. Or blades that need to be sharpened on moonbeams and cut the air. Just a Gilgameshesque deathcore uber-badass that uses the semi-divine strength in his body to pull a dragon to the ground and bash it's head in with a large blunt object.

If this is wuxia then so is the Hulk, and he's the essence of anti-wuxia.

Scribble

First Post
My issue with this video was the editing. The editing didn't match the music pacing.

Whomever did it spent way to long on various shots. They'd set the scene with a closeup of someone... then sit there... and sit there some more... then finally they'd move on or pan the "camera" to reveal the "ooooh"

They're like... Look at this dude. Keep looking. No really look at him. Still looking? Look. Ok check it out as we pan out to reveal an army!

robertliguori said:
Robert's First Law of Functional Aesthetic: The effort you spend looking awesome and kicking ass ensures that the person who spent all of their effort on learning how to kick ass will kick your ass. You can be consoled by knowing that you will die looking awesome.
Yep. The real world can be quite unaesthetic and boring. Not always, but often enough. I guess that's why I play fantasy games.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
HeavenShallBurn said:
My preferences of awesome are more like impaling it on a harpoon, dragging it to the ground, wading through the firestorm of magic the casters are laying down and bash it's head into a Polaski imitation with a spiked steel club the size of a small buick.
Personally, I'm closer to that end of the spectrum -but it just have to be awesome in general. If people get a kick out of wuxia action, more power to them. I find it actually quite awesome in D&D, that you can pull off both at once.

Cheers, LT.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Lord Tirian said:
If people get a kick out of wuxia action, more power to them. I find it actually quite awesome in D&D, that you can pull off both at once.
That's always been the one of the key elements of D&D in every edition, that with the same mechanics you can do Iron Monkey style wuxia and Soldier of the Apocalypse style metal with a difference in applied flavor. I don't begrudge anyone their preferred style of game, I just find it distasteful myself and would try to avoid playing in that sort of campaign.

Remove ads