• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E OK WotC, I've had just about enough of this...

A couple thoughts that come to mind:

1. 5E was more popular than expected, and they've decided to offer a heavier publication schedule but aren't sure yet how it is all going to play out.

2. They're scrambling to figure out what to put out, how to finish what they're working on, etc. All hell has broken loose in Renton -- dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

3. They're playing it coy to build up anticipation, a sense of mystery, yada yada yada.

What say you?
Or some combination of the two.

You missed one obvious possibility.

4: 5e going forward is essentially D&D in mothballs. That sales numbers appear to have been lower than for any previous edition since the red box (counting 4e but not 4e Essentials) and ultimately it isn't terribly popular (both 3.0 and 4e made it onto the NYT bestseller lists). People bought the PHB because it was the new PHB - but most 4e fans stuck with 4e (and large numbers had stopped buying in response to Essentials) and most PF fans stuck with Pathfinder. The D&D team is smaller than it has been at any point in history, and the other two core books didn't sell remotely as well as the PHB.

delericho

Legend
4: 5e going forward is essentially D&D in mothballs.

I do think that this is a possibility. However...

That sales numbers appear to have been lower than for any previous edition since the red box (counting 4e but not 4e Essentials) and ultimately it isn't terribly popular (both 3.0 and 4e made it onto the NYT bestseller lists).

Chris Perkins has said that 5e has been doing spectacularly well. And, of course, it was #1 at Amazon for a time, which is no mean feat.

DracoSuave

First Post
I do think that this is a possibility. However...

Chris Perkins has said that 5e has been doing spectacularly well. And, of course, it was #1 at Amazon for a time, which is no mean feat.

I know right?

I just don't grok the kinds of people that are told 'This is how we're doing things now', see evidence that things are being done that way, and conclude that it wasn't planned and that there's something nefarious or unexpected in the background.

Then they contrive all sorts of speculation and nonsense to try to explain the current scenario to fit their pessimism, choosing to ignore any and all evidence to the contrary. I mean, who cares if almost everyone is voting D&D5th to be rpg of the year because of how well it was put together? Who cares if a few stores have trouble keeping it in stock? None of that matters, because we invent things to fit our best internal conception of a WoTC Fiasco, so we can play 'Damn Hasbro and their corporate meddling" as if Hasbro hasn't owned WotC since an entire year before 3rd edition came out.

Last edited:

The PHB sold like hot cakes. (New edition PHBs always do unless you're doing something really weird like Essentials that managed to be the worst of both worlds). I don't think that the DMG made it into the top 40 on Amazon? (And if Chris Perkins were to say it had done badly that would be news).

And as for WotC following the stated plan, the stated plan is one of near-mothballs. A release cycle on a par with 4e in late 2011. 2014 was a good year for the D&D team - but I'll be surprised if, following the failure of Project Morningstar and the intended low release and outsourced volume WotC makes more from D&D in 2015 than it did in 2013 where DDI subs were worth $6 million/year as late as November. Because that's about all they've planned to do.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
And as for WotC following the stated plan, the stated plan is one of near-mothballs. A release cycle on a par with 4e in late 2011. 2014 was a good year for the D&D team - but I'll be surprised if, following the failure of Project Morningstar and the intended low release and outsourced volume WotC makes more from D&D in 2015 than it did in 2013 where DDI subs were worth $6 million/year as late as November. Because that's about all they've planned to do.

If this theory of yours makes you feel happier about the situation, then by all means stick with it. But let me also say how sorry I am in advance if it turns out your theory was wrong and the game is actually doing well. That'll probably end up being crushing to you.

Remathilis

Legend
You missed one obvious possibility.

4: 5e going forward is essentially D&D in mothballs. That sales numbers appear to have been lower than for any previous edition since the red box (counting 4e but not 4e Essentials) and ultimately it isn't terribly popular (both 3.0 and 4e made it onto the NYT bestseller lists). People bought the PHB because it was the new PHB - but most 4e fans stuck with 4e (and large numbers had stopped buying in response to Essentials) and most PF fans stuck with Pathfinder. The D&D team is smaller than it has been at any point in history, and the other two core books didn't sell remotely as well as the PHB.

Obvious only if your rooting for 5e's failure.

Such projection.

I'll be happier if 5e succeeds. If it actually delivers on its promises (and there's for example a splat book on the way that gives a viable Warlord). I consider 5e a better game than Pathfinder and would be happy if it succeeded even without. But they aren't remotely attempting to compete with Pathfinder's offerings. But this whole thread is about how instead of announcing things and building hype, WotC is building blank space. But mysteriously the idea that 5e's announcements are in line with what WotC thinks is sensible is unthinkable.

DracoSuave

First Post
But this whole thread is about how instead of announcing things and building hype, WotC is building blank space. But mysteriously the idea that 5e's announcements are in line with what WotC thinks is sensible is unthinkable.

Actually what they're doing is maintaining the hype on the core products so that the core products remain strong. PHBs are supposed to be the big seller, with DMG and MM behind it. Those sales are the healthiest for the game.

So the game is set up so that as a player, you can just buy the PHB if you want a ton of options. Previously, it'd be 'buy the PHB to get the bare bones, and then buy the complete martial kickpuncher stabspellcasterthief to get the options that are "viable"' Then they'd heap more and more and more books--and groups would heap further and further pressure to buy more and more content just to 'catch up'. This has the effect of stopping a lot of PHB sales, which as we noted, are what needs to be the top selling book for the line to thrive.

Right now, the hype is exactly where it should be: The Core. And after The Elemental Evils Adventurer's Handbook gets out, the hype should still be on the Core.

Besides the system just came out. Patience, damn it.

soulcatcher78

First Post
I'm happy with the release schedule as it is. Flooding the market with "new" material hasn't helped the last 3 editions of the game. I'm more interested in seeing what the OGL looks like so that we can get our fix of one shots and campaign settings from third party publishers.

As far as any future product being related to Alice in Wonderland, I'll just stick with my Red and Pleasant Land by Zak S.

Some of what gets produced will be rubbish (as with the 3E glut) but it will free up WotC to refine the game and ensure that what they do produce is of higher quality.

Obvious only if your rooting for 5e's failure.

If the Vatican and WotC made a joint announcement that the newest D&D book out sold the bible, there would still be some people claiming that Pathfinder outsold them, and others calling the book a failure, and then both of those groups would have a theory that means WotC is shutting down...

Remove ads