• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Okay. I officially miss paper versions

Scribble

First Post
PDFs are great for copy/pasting into other documents. I find them very useful at work for reference documents, which I don't read for pleasure, and don't want or need to use anywhere away from my workstation. But I don't find them a suitable substitute for print for gaming (especially for Dungeon adventures, which I'd need to print in total anyway).

I'm in agreement with you about Dungeon. I think for those that use it as a source of adventures it does work better in print form.

I don't though, so for selfish reasons I'm happy it's in digital form. I can cut and paste things out of it into the documents I use for my adventure prep.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
I subscribe to DDI and love the new Dungeon and Dragon, but I too wish I could have a print subscription.

By the way, I remember hearing about FFG or Goodman Games trying to snatch up David Noonan when WotC let him go. Whatever happened with that? Is he working on the 4e mag for Goodman? That would certainly be a selling point for me.

For me a PC copy is awsome for referance and for copying certain sections I may want to bring to the table, but absolutely atrocious for reading. Especially the adventures. They require way to much flipping around to make a pc version truely helpful for the adventure in its entirety. Plus, I simply prefer a magazine copy to read.

With a paper copy I'm not tied to the basement, where my pc is, for an hour while I read the things. I can sit in my backyard in the sun and read while I watch my son play. That is useful product to me as a consumer. The PDF is simply a handy extra.

My pathfinder subscription comes with a free copy of the pdf of all the paper magazines I receive. I have access to them sooner that the paper version and so far I've used the PDF's once, and that was in game so I could extract some images of notes the PC's were to find.

I'm on the fence with the 4th edition, some things I like, others not so much. A paper copy of dungeon and dragon for me to read and help me to kindle that into some "Oh I've GOT to run THAT!" moments would probably get me off the fence and get me running some 4e, and buying more products. But pdf's of a magazine aren't a product I'm interested in, and won't purhcase. (Which is not to say I won't purchase gaming related pdf's. I have and have enjoyed them for the short rules additions they were.) So, I continue to look over the 4e rule books and continue to sit on the fence.

-Ashrum

Jack99

Adventurer
With a paper copy I'm not tied to the basement, where my pc is, for an hour while I read the things. I can sit in my backyard in the sun and read while I watch my son play. That is useful product to me as a consumer. The PDF is simply a handy extra.

I agree. It sucks to be stuck inside when the sun is shining. Which is why I have all my pdf's on my laptop. Works like a charm for me.

Last edited:

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
Out of curiosity, does KQ support OSRIC/1E? Would it if submissions were made? After all, there's kobolds in every edition...

I feel compelled to mention that its' Fight On! magazines explicite purpose to publish material for 'Old School' systems. So far this has been primarily for 1e AD&D and Basic D&D.

(I should note that I don't actually have copies myself. but am planning on subscribing shortly.)

edit - to the main point of the thread. I hate reading .pdf's of anything. I love me a good paper copy. by the by I also largely dislike laptops because of their lack of an actual mouse for easy navigation. (yes I know x y and z but having and actual mouse significantly reduces their portability.) Many of my courses for university send me to .pdf's. I hate that -- give me a book. I end up either never reading them or printing them off.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads