• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Okay, now I'm worried...

Zaran

Adventurer
In all seriousness, my guess (and yes that's all it is) would be that WotC looked at their projected release schedule, looked at the current state of those projects, and then decided they were not convinced that they could release them at the previously stated time. As such, they decided to remove them from the listing until they could get a more definitive date. Basically they were left with three choices: a) leave the announced release schedule as is, then miss the deadline, b) leave the schedule as is and then publish a product that was unfinished and unpolished that required at least some notable errata, c) alter the "published" release schedule.

Option A causes outrage amongst the customer base.
Option B causes outrage amongst the customer base.
Option C causes outrage amongst the customer base.

So there you go.

I don't agree. If they went with Option C there wouldn't be outrage. Companies do that all the time. That tells people that the product is still supposed to be produced. Removing the product all together from their schedule is what causes outrage.

Riastlin

First Post
I don't agree. If they went with Option C there wouldn't be outrage. Companies do that all the time. That tells people that the product is still supposed to be produced. Removing the product all together from their schedule is what causes outrage.

Removing it from the schedule is the same as picking some (likely arbitrary date). Nowhere, to my knowledge, has WotC stated "Sorry, but we've decided not to release these products. Ever. Period." Rather, its just an indication that it won't be released when they initially thought. If they removed it because they don't know when it will be ready, they can't say "Okay now we will release it on date X." If they did that and it still wasn't ready, and they had to move it again, then people would get outraged again. It's a lose-lose situation for WotC. Keep in mind, there are plenty of people who interpret a date on a release schedule to be a "promise" of release on that date and so get outraged every time it changes, claiming a broken promise.

Now should WotC have foreseen a potential problem before posting it on their release schedule? Possibly, maybe even probably. However, no business can ever guarantee that there will not be surprises. Maybe Essentials is selling better than expected and now they want to format all their books like Essentials. Maybe they did some testing of the proposed rules and realized they wouldn't work after all (okay that might be a stretch :p), maybe they contracted a sizable portion to a freelancer who had to quit for some reason. Who knows? The problem is though, that there might not be any way to gauge when the product would be released.

Sure they could make a statement and say "Book X has been delayed, we hope to have it out by X, or 'soon', etc." but the same problem with people thinking every word is a promise will hold true and then again accuse WotC of lying if its not out by X, or "soon", etc.

At the end of the day, it really doesn't effect the current D&D player all that much. It doesn't invalidate your current materials. It doesn't require you to pay more money for something that isn't there. At most, it affects the player who says "I'll pick up D&D, or Essentials, when book Y is released". Personally though, I doubt that this represents much of the potential customer base though.

At any rate, just my two coppers on the matter.

Dice4Hire

First Post
But my character is on their on-line servers! If they turn them off, how will I level up? Will I chisel my character into a stone tablet like some caveman!?!?

It is allowed under the TOS as long as the stone belongs to WOTC. I recommend their headquarters building. :)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
At present, I'm just waiting for the D&D Experience (Jan 27-30th). I'm expecting it'll shed a lot of light on what to expect for D&D in 2011. We're unfortunately in the "news shadow" before the convention where they save up all their news for release during it... I wouldn't read too much into anything until it occurs.

Cheers!

Ryujin

Legend

Agreed. It would also go a long way toward transparency to the customer, which has been quite a sore point since September.

At present, I'm just waiting for the D&D Experience (Jan 27-30th). I'm expecting it'll shed a lot of light on what to expect for D&D in 2011. We're unfortunately in the "news shadow" before the convention where they save up all their news for release during it... I wouldn't read too much into anything until it occurs.

Cheers!

From a worrisome fanbase perspective the D&D Experience comes at exactly the wrong time of year. Just as changes were being made in offerings (new Character Builder and playtesting Virtual Table Top) and as things were disappearing from the Product Catalog (possibly due to hold ups in customs for all we know), the staff wasn't available because the offices closed for the holiday season.

As soon as the employees returned, we had the D&D Experience looming in the near future. As it is their big D&D announcement show, we are now in the "news shadow" as you so rightly point out. Normally a two or three week shadow for a pending con is no big deal, but following another two to three week shadow for administrative reasons leads worrisome fans -- myself included -- to begin exercising their dreaded speculation muscles.

As the Character Builder has been updated, I have become more and more impressed and it seems to be following exactly the expected IT development cycle after release -- at least how they depict it in all those MBA classes I took. I am excited about the VTT.

I don't think WotC handled things as poorly as some here believe. They certainly could have done better, but looking at February's offerings -- which are alot in $$ if you buy the board game and GW -- I don't think doom and gloom are merited.

Phaezen

Adventurer

Cheers!

Agreed, although Monday's "In the Works" might have some clues in it

Remove ads