• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Olan, Hargren, Madlawa and The Three Th's

chachi

First Post
I suppose that it depends on how much information that we can gather. For example, if we know that the Enslavers will not attack for two weeks, then I am in favor of raising a force. If we do not know when the strike will come, then even I cannot leave innocents to die or worse.

On a related note, I am brave, but I am not going to fight a dragon.

Grimhelm

First Post
chachi said:
I suppose that it depends on how much information that we can gather. For example, if we know that the Enslavers will not attack for two weeks, then I am in favor of raising a force. If we do not know when the strike will come, then even I cannot leave innocents to die or worse.

On a related note, I am brave, but I am not going to fight a dragon.

Right! I agree totally. We will not stand against a dragon. And people must be saved and warned. Let me put it this way. I envision an organized force. This force will be responsible for sending out runners to warn cities of invasion. This force will also be responsible for reconnaisance work. The force will also be constantly building itself up, in secret, in order to make a purposeful strike back at the enemy. We shall be the "People's Army" to counter the armies of the monsters!!!

Bob_Probst

First Post
"I am not sure how warning towns will be a way to raise armies. These towns no doubt have their own armies and will need them to defend their towns."

Nonsense! These towns are already lost if they think they can stand alone! Women and children should be sent south and every able man given an ax! Caution, fear and skulking about are what these fiends prey on -- as long as the nations remain divided they will pick Inzeladun apart like vultures. We need to field an army now or accept our inevitable deaths

"Something tells me there are other pockets of resistance that exist. Perhaps we should find these first, then go to the aid of the city we intend to warn, thus strengthening their numbers."

Where are these resistors? Unless you're hiding them in your ass we could spend months looking for them. If we raise the countryside, they will find us! The resistors will be every person who still holds hope for life!

Grimhelm

First Post
Bob_Probst said:
"I am not sure how warning towns will be a way to raise armies. These towns no doubt have their own armies and will need them to defend their towns."

Nonsense! These towns are already lost if they think they can stand alone! Women and children should be sent south and every able man given an ax! Caution, fear and skulking about are what these fiends prey on -- as long as the nations remain divided they will pick Inzeladun apart like vultures. We need to field an army now or accept our inevitable deaths

"Something tells me there are other pockets of resistance that exist. Perhaps we should find these first, then go to the aid of the city we intend to warn, thus strengthening their numbers."

Where are these resistors? Unless you're hiding them in your ass we could spend months looking for them. If we raise the countryside, they will find us! The resistors will be every person who still holds hope for life!

Um, right. No one is proposing skulking anywhere. I am proposing building an army. I just don't see how warning towns is going to accomplish that, and so far you have not illustrated your position so that I can understand your aims. Perhaps you could expound on it? As for resistors, part of my plan is to send out scouts from the army we raise. Pretty simple, really. Your idea of enlisting men of the countryside to help is good, but these men will need commanders. It is just a hunch I have, but something tells me that if we are having these thoughts that others are too, therefore it behooves us to find the other "commanders" and bring everyone together...

thormagni

Explorer
Just my two cents. I think we are coming from very different views of our character's life experience, knowledge and abilities. I believe that we are at the extreme low end of the life spectrum. Young, inexperienced and unskilled. I try to look back at where I was when I was 19-20 years old and even if I were a budding hero, who in their right mind would follow me? Plus, I don't think we have the martial skills yet to put up any serious resistance. Any moderately skilled knight would wipe the floor with a bunch of unarmored newbies.

I think our primary goal is going to be to hone our skills, build our reputations and just stay alive. We have no food, little equipment and no money. We need to establish a hidden base of operations with a ready supply of butter and guns. Eventually, as we gain more skill and experience, I expect we would begin harrying actions against their supply lines. Ambushes. Isolating small groups of "bad guys" and overwhelming them. I think if are good at a guerrilla war, then people will be drawn to us.

But right now, I don't even begin to know how to turn a ragtag band of scattered, surviving peasants into an army.

I'm no history expert, but I was watching the History Channel this weekend and they had a profile of the Celtic queen Boudica. She led a peasant uprising that eventually challenged the Roman empire in Britain. HOWEVER in her final battle, 250,000 or so Celts were massacred by 10,000 Roman legionaries. A small group of skilled, heavily armored and armed opponents destroyed a bunch of peasants. The Celts lost more than 80,000, the Romans 400.

So, I think any direct action against the main body of the attackers right now would be suicidal. An attack on a roomful of 30 armored knights would have been a massacre -- of us. A handful of knights without shields and a bunch of squires gave us a run for our money.

Grimhelm

First Post
A level of caution is certainly in order, and our enemies are certainly better equipped and trained. Yet, are men not led by spirit and heart? I do not believe that men follow the man with the best sword or the general with the shiniest armor. They follow a man who can lead with his will, his virtue, and his heart. Let us first gather the men together, then train them. If you believe that small skirmishes will attract followers, we can try this. I only fear that we might attract other unwanted attention and end our campaign before it begins. Let's not forget that the longer we wait, the longer the enemy has to increase its numbers and cement its control.

Goliath had his David. The beholder had his Grimhelm. It can be achieved. We must simply believe that it can be achieved.

thormagni

Explorer
Grimhelm said:
They follow a man who can lead with his will, his virtue, and his heart. Let us first gather the men together, then train them.

I think they follow a man who is worth following. We will prove that worth by our successes. If we are successful enough, people will follow us. I would propose we band together and begin looking for ways to gain minor victories against the forces allied against us -- whether the enemy army or their local toadies. Word of our deeds will spread and give the people hope.

Of course, my long-range plan is to gain vengeance against the nobles who abandoned their sacred trust by cowering and conniving rather than standing and defending their people. The people have already been betrayed by one group of leaders, I suspect they will be reluctant to rely on empty promises and foolish boasting again.

Grimhelm

First Post
thormagni said:
I think they follow a man who is worth following. We will prove that worth by our successes. If we are successful enough, people will follow us. I would propose we band together and begin looking for ways to gain minor victories against the forces allied against us -- whether the enemy army or their local toadies. Word of our deeds will spread and give the people hope.

Of course, my long-range plan is to gain vengeance against the nobles who abandoned their sacred trust by cowering and conniving rather than standing and defending their people. The people have already been betrayed by one group of leaders, I suspect they will be reluctant to rely on empty promises and foolish boasting again.

No one is boasting and no one is promising anything. And men don't follow a man because he is worth following. If that were the case, Hitler, Mussolini, Charlie Manson and Jim Jones would never have led a soul. They follow heart. Now. If we want to argue about how to go about it, then let's, but frankly we are really saying the same thing. We gather men. We kill the bad guys. Any questions?

Besides, word of our success at the castle will likely spread.

Last edited:

thormagni

Explorer
Grimhelm said:
If that were the case, Hitler, Mussolini, Charlie Manson and Jim Jones would never have led a soul.

I disagree, to the extent that all of these people offered their followers something they definitely wanted. The certainly all had a clear vision and a path to get there. That was worthwhile to the followers. Not to you and I, certainly.

I agree to the extent that yes, we kill bad guys, in small manageable numbers, and then we gather men.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads