• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Old Adventures You're Thinking of Converting?

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
It looks like the hardest thing is going to be creating new monsters.
You'll have to change the "default" 4E interpretation of monsters as well, as *demon* succubi (one big one in particular) play a huge role. But, if you wait for the MM2, you'll get Big D for free.

McFluff

First Post
I'm working on converting Knight's Sword, an old 2E Dragonlance adventure, to 4E right now. I don't plan on converting it's sequal, however. I'm just going to use it to launch a knew DL campaign. It's been pretty easy to convert so far and I can't wait to run this classic with my group.

questing gm

First Post
This sounds like a very interesting project to embark on! :lol:

Considering that I spend more time drooling over written adventures/modules than actually running them, I think I'll start with the APs. B-)

Once i'm actually done and start running them, I'll have a 3 years worth of supplies for a campaign. :D

Now switch Demogorgon with Orcus....:devil:

Kwalish Kid

Explorer
I recommend "Race Against Time" by Kent Ertman from issue 81. This adventure is all about the skill challenges! And it has a real time limit on play--the PCs have three hours of session time to solve the riddles of where a number of "bombs" are hidden, minus the time it takes for their PCs to travel across the city. Somewhat reminiscent of finding the bombs in Die Hard III. I've run it in 3E and in 4E, and it works really well.

It has a prequel of sorts in issue 79 as the sidetrack adventure "The Best Laid Plans", also by Ertman (cartography by Chris Perkins), but this isn't essential, as long as the PCs have some sort of background knowledge or experience similar to that encounter. (If you read the "Race Against Time" adventure, you'll know what to do.)

The only potential drawback to the adventure is that you either have to use the city provided or you have to seriously adapt your own city or the adventure and its riddles. On the plus side, the adventure provides a nicely detailed city along with the adventure!

Festivus

First Post
I already converted "Unfamiliar Ground", it went *very* quickly. I only had to stat up a few creatures myself, the rest either from DDM stat cards or the monster manual. The hardest part was designing traps that made sense and were scaled to the right power level.

Garnfellow

Explorer
I think Quasqueton pretty decisively debunked the commonly held notion that there is less treasure/magic in 1e than 3e by his series of threads contrasting which items actually showed up in adventures for each.
And his empirical data matched up pretty closely with my experience converting a metric buttload of old adventures to 3.5e. Most things mapped pretty closely, with the exception of monetary treasure. (1e mid and high level adventures tended to have a ton more loot than the 3e guidelines would suggest. But there was a lot less to spend loot on in 1e).

I just converted "The Lair of Maldred the Mighty," a WD adventure from 1981 and needed to make surprisingly few changes to the original. Out of about 40 encounter areas, I reduced the number of monsters in one room, and reduced the magical treasure in a couple of rooms. Everything else fell very neatly in line for a 8th level adventure in 1e or 3e.

EATherrian

First Post
One of the things I think 4e will be good for is adapting earlier adventures to the new system.

One I'm thinking of is the old fun Trouble At Grog's. A fun little bit.

Oh my! That is one of my favorite Dungeon adventures. If you do this, please let me see your work. I don't have my mags in front of me, but with the new focus on Orcus there was a fun adventure with a castle in a swamp that featured him. That might be an idea.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads