• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

old edition books & history of (A)D&D

sellars

Explorer
Hi there,

I am looking for a nice site which tells the entire history of dungeons and dragons, inclding the different prints and editions of all the core book. I allready used google, but this yielded about 14000 hits :p

So, does anyone have an idea?

Last edited:

Mac Golden

First Post
hope this helps

Sellars,

I don't have any links handy, but I remember reading a general FAQ on DnD on the usenet message boards that covered the history of the game. If I am not mistaken, GOOGLE has archived the entire usenet boards. Look around on GOOGLE for a subsite, and then go in and do a search for Dungeons and Dragons, looking for alt.????.frp.dnd or something like that. Hope that helps.

Mac Golden

johnsemlak

First Post
This article is a very comprehensive history.

Here there be dragons

Also, the following site has a shorter history plus a summary of changes in 2e and 3e, plus lloads of other interesting trivia (like "Did TSR ever buy the rights to the word ''Nazi"').

D&D FAQ

Also, you can buy a huge range of old products, like the 1e DMG, old modules, Dieties and Demigods, at svgames.com. All products, whatever the size, cost 5 bucks (in the form of a pdf download)

svgames

Finally, one of the best d&d history sites is the Acaeum. It has an index of nearly all classic D&D and AD&D products, like modules and rulebooks, with a brief history of each edition and recommended prices for original copies. The site is meant for people who want to get reliable estamates on the value of a classic product, but it's fascinating for anybody.

The Acaeum

Hope that helps

Last edited:

sellars

Explorer
wow thanks!

especially the acaeum site is exactly what I was looking for.
are you also interested in the history of the game, or did you know the sites "by accident :)"

regards, Sellars

johnsemlak

First Post
The Acaeum site is great, aint it?

I found that site at a 'links' page somewhere. I'm pretty sure the link is posted at necromancergames.com, though I got it somewhere else.

I was interested in the history of D&D for a lot of reasons. One was I've become reinterested in the game after years on not playing it. I wanted to find out what had happened since I stopped playing.

Henrix

Explorer
RPG United has a product archive of old (and new) stuff.

The Acaeum is probably better, but if you want another look at things, RPG United could be good.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads