• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Old, obscure world building program

cimbrog

Explorer
This is probably going to be a severe stretch, but I haven't turned this up anywhere else.

There was an old program called World Builder. Instead of the usual random/fractal method of world generation used by 99% of the software out there, it actually used continental drift, axial tilt and other scientific/real methods to generate a planet. There was also a civilization program that went with it that used similar cultural methods to determine where people went on said planet.

Version 1.3 of the program can be found at ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/doc/games/roleplay/programs/mapping/wb13win.zip

However, its old and busted. I'm looking for the 2.0 version that came out later, preferably with the accompanying civ program. The homepage used to be at http://www.best.com/~jendave/builder/world/index.html but that link is now dead. The program was written by David L. Allen.

If anyone could tell me where I could locate this program, please let me know. it would be much appreciated.

-Chad

cimbrog

Explorer
The 2.0 version allowed for export in formats that allowed for rendering in programs such as Terragen and Wilbur allowing for some very pretty (and useful) maps to be made. In addition, the civ builder was really great as far as determining what groups would be where on the planet after so many years.

The 1.3 version has the basics (landmass by continental drift, land type by projected climate) but that's all. I guess It'll have to do unless I can get a copy of 2.0 from somewhere.

BTW, thanks for the address, LightPhoenix.

-Chad

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads