• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Old problems, still around

jasper

Rotten DM
You forgot

Players bring in pcs from other dms which don’t fit the dm’s world.
Too many players wanting to dm so no campaign gets finish.
How to stop cheaters?
If published it must be allowed.

William Ronald

Explorer
Kid Charlemagne said:
On the positive side, the recurrance of these issue belies the notion that the game isn't attracting new blood...

This is a good point, and I think that we have to be glad that some issues are constants. Many of them depend on how people interact with each other, and are to be expected.

Also, I have seen people take rules past the bending point, past the breaking point, and do something with them that resembles what happens to matter that falls into a black hole. So, I don't think we should be surprised at several of the issues still being current.

I do agree that getting exposed to gaming later in life can prevent some of the issues associated with immaturity. Not that all adults are mature.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Vorput said:
So very, very true... Then occasionally it is mentioned 5 or 6 sessions in... and you want to care, you know you should care, and yet you continue to ignore it...

Just like those who want to worry about a PC's basic bodily needs.... who really cares if the character has to relieve himself in game context? We make assumptions that they do so when necessary. Same with bathing. Sometimes we throw that in for any sort of roleplaying aspect.

There's bigger things to worry about in a game than "mundane stuff".

Fortunately, we don't have those who fudge dice rolls. Even with the one guy who insists on using those stupid clear dice with the unpainted numbers.

The_Magician

First Post
Rations was never a problem. First, I just didnt mind it, then I simplified it, by just assuming PCs would be always buying food for their journeys and subtract an average ammount for week from their money. Of course, when they spent too much time on the road without reaching a city, I would rule they ran out of food, if I saw a good idea for a little game hunting.

One of the things that i had troule with was with travelling. During my first DMing experiences, I wasn't sure how to handle it. say the party would spend 2 months on the road. I was always worried to throw things on the road so their travel was uneventful, but I wasnt good at that.

I also had a hard time tracking down their Hit POints.

Now-a-days, I still find myself making n00b questiosn about rules, but mainly that's because I only DM online and find myself "forced" to DM D&D 3.5, which is not a system I am very fond of, so I am not very knowledgeable of the rules. And because I have been DMing mostly D&D 3e and 3.5e, i have now forgotten a good part of the rules from AD&D 2nd ed, so I find myself making n00b questions about both. =P

Remove ads