• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Old revisions thread (ignore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

D'arc DeWinter

First Post
Spell Exchange

The Gith Mindslayer is one of the prestige classes outlined in the Polyhedron mini-game in Dungeon 100. At certain levels the class gains +1 spellcasting level to an existing spellcasting class. In describing this ability it's mentioned that the Mindslayer gets no other benefits of the spellcasting class but does retain the ability to exchange spells known at even number equivalent Sorcerer or Bard levels. (Not an exact quote, I don't have the mag. in front of me.)

Retain the ability? Is spell swapping a known ability of Bards and Sorcerers in 3.5e? Anyone have an idea how it works?

Are any similar abilities mentioned for the advanced spellcasting classes in Urban Arcana? (since D20 Modern seems to be a good predictor for 3.5e D&D changes)

Remathilis

Legend
Re: Spell Exchange

D'arc DeWinter said:
The Gith Mindslayer is one of the prestige classes outlined in the Polyhedron mini-game in Dungeon 100. At certain levels the class gains +1 spellcasting level to an existing spellcasting class. In describing this ability it's mentioned that the Mindslayer gets no other benefits of the spellcasting class but does retain the ability to exchange spells known at even number equivalent Sorcerer or Bard levels. (Not an exact quote, I don't have the mag. in front of me.)

Retain the ability? Is spell swapping a known ability of Bards and Sorcerers in 3.5e? Anyone have an idea how it works?

Are any similar abilities mentioned for the advanced spellcasting classes in Urban Arcana? (since D20 Modern seems to be a good predictor for 3.5e D&D changes)

No idea, but I think that means 15th level sorcerers won't be stuck with Summon Monster I anymore. :) :) :D

Steverooo

First Post
Too many Feats?

Ysgarran said:
Male Human Ranger 3... Ranger Style: Two-weapon fighting;
Feats: Blind-Fight, Endurance, Point Blank Shot, Skill Focus (Survival) , Track

He gets one Feat to start, another for being Human, Track for being a first level Ranger, Endurance for being a third level Ranger, and an additional Feat for being third level... He took the TWF path, and also has PBS...

:p

Thels

First Post
Which just happens to be what Sorcerors and Bards are about. Take it away, and they lose a lot of their charm, even though it makes them stronger.

Edit: Was supposed to reply to Remathilis

Last edited:

Dimwhit

Explorer
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Olgar Shiverstone
I'm not sold on +1 (it does seem a bit weak) -- but that +4 from the two combined feats is downright nasty, especially at low levels (SF + GSF Enchantment = no fun for fighters).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

then just remove greater focus. That would be a much better fix IMO. It looks to me like they sucked it up in some feeble attempt at backwards compatibility.

No kidding! This change ticks me off. My wizard has both focus and greater focus. I can't believe it's getting slashed to +2 total. I'd rather get rid of greater focus and use the second feat elsewhere. +1 per feat is just a waste. Wizards get few enough feats that if one wants to use two for those feats, they shouldn't be penalized for it.

Steverooo

First Post
Knowledge for ALL! ;-)

Rangers not only get Knowledge (Nature) and Knowledge (Geography), but they also get Knowledge (Dungeoncraft), or somesuch... ALL classes are supposed to get SOME form of Knowledge skill (Fighters will probably get Knowledge (History), as it covers ancient battles and military history). All true Spellcasters have all of them, already.

Sorry, I can't remember the source for this, but I think it was WotC.

Too bad Rangers STILL don't get Balance, or Knowledge (Planes). That +2 Synergy Bonus to Survival on othe4r planes will take 10 skill points to get...

Andy Collins just confirmeed the Dungeon info about rangers ... Good Fort and Reflex saves are in.

Yay-sayers may say yay; nay-sayers may commence nay-saying.

DevoutlyApathetic

First Post
Some other Dungeon 100 finds:

Animal Growth no longer provides the double hit dice craziness. So far it provides the attribute changes for growing a size and DR 10/magic. Whee!

Dire Weasels and Giant Croc's both seem to have all good saving throws.

Speak with animals is now a first level spell. (True to form Skip placed it at first and second level on a spell list...)

The note -2 armor check penalty (-1 doubled for swim) appears. The annoying 'Track your total weight' factor for swim may have been removed.

Giant is still a type, not a subtype.

Weapon Size rules would seem to be further detailed. The Githyanki article gives both Small and Medium versions of all the personal weapons.

Also in the section dealing with Astral Boats they mention a Great Ballista which is a Colossal heavy crossbow. According to pg 113 of the PHB medium size creatures take a -8 penalty to attack with it due to it's size. (Oh, yeah real weapon size rules!)

Finally no mention of Scry skill. Further the description of The Sword Stalker specifically details some mechanics for scrying, none of which involve skill checks.

More if I'm REALLY bored at work...

Dr_Rictus

First Post
In the "spells" category, looks like they are adding mass-targeting versions of the cure wounds spells (e.g. mass cure light wounds). Each is 3 levels higher than the single-target version. You can spot 'em in the spell list of the Ghustil prestige class in the 3.5-based "Knights of the Lich-Queen" mini-game.

I'd speculate that this could mean they're doing away with healing circle, and that therefore the mass-targeted cure spells probably operate at range.

I wonder whether the similarity extends to clerics being allowed to spontaneously cast the mass cure spells. I'd hope not (I don't think they need it, plus it wound constitute the loss of another significant incentive for clerics to take metamagic feats).

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads