old school modules = SPACE!

Tewligan

First Post
Speaking of space and flexibility, B1 doesn't even have specific beasts/treasure attached to each room (there's just a list in the back). The DM looks at the list (if he wants) and matches the beast/treasure to whatever room he wants. It would be very easy to just ignore the list and adapt the dungeon to whatever play level you wanted, which is cool. Plus, Carr doesn't recommend filling every room with a beast, which is consistent with comments here about N1.
That's actually how I used N1 in my current 1e campaign, in fact! I used the map and a lot of the room descriptions, but pretty much totally restocked it with encounters and treasures to suit the adventure I was writing. I get more use out of module maps than I do the published material that goes along with them.

bert1000

First Post
The naga encounter requires the help of a higher level NPC from town to survive as written.

Yeah, as I'm looking at it there are a few things wrong with that encounter. The Naga can cast sleep for one thing. Sleep in AD&D is a nasty spell against low hit dice (most likely the PCs!), and this would likely end the encounter with 1-2nd level PCs with no save...

That said, easy to swap out that spell.

Pinotage

Explorer
When I first saw this thread I thought you meant space on a bookshelf or space in the module to put material in rather than stat blocks! :eek:

I've been looking at some of the old school material for OSRIc and Labyrinth Lord and it's refreshing to see how good stories and characters with personality can be put into such a small amount of space in an adventure. I know that's now what you were referring too, but you just get so much more out of an OSRIC adventure than a 3e or 4e one.

But, yes, I love the idea that rooms offer retreating options or just clues as to what lies ahead or just answers to a mystery rather than either being a) Bland and pointless, b) have creatures in or c) have a trap, which seems to be the rhyme and reason around most modern modules.

Yeah, as I'm looking at it there are a few things wrong with that encounter. The Naga can cast sleep for one thing. Sleep in AD&D is a nasty spell against low hit dice (most likely the PCs!), and this would likely end the encounter with 1-2nd level PCs with no save...

That said, easy to swap out that spell.

If memory serves, then the naga also has fireball (9d6) which is far too nasty. The adventure assumes Ramne will be there with his trusty minor globe. :p

heirodule

First Post
I wouldn't go so far as to say its the best module ever, but it is a pretty good one. The naga encounter requires the help of a higher level NPC from town to survive as written. That kind of steals the thunder from the PC's and makes the adventure a tad less than perfect. There is heck of a lot of great material for the page count and thats what matters most.

It is pretty good.

The one flaw is that Clerics are explicitly said to only be able to cast 1-2 level spells without their deity's help. The reptile god, being the naga herself, cannot grant spells. So the apostate clerics shouldn't have 3+ level spells. IIRC they do.

It is pretty good.

The one flaw is that Clerics are explicitly said to only be able to cast 1-2 level spells without their deity's help. The reptile god, being the naga herself, cannot grant spells. So the apostate clerics shouldn't have 3+ level spells. IIRC they do.

:lol::lol::lol: Well........perhaps they worship a real deity and pay lip service to the naga to avoid being eaten. It would be hard to have appropriate reverence for an entity that lives down the hall.

EDIT: On a side note it must really suck to be a cleric of a deity that gets killed. I remember a quote from somewhere regarding changing deities: " there is no salvation for a thrice changed cleric". A worshipper who keeps joining cults that have thier god killed by adventurers is really out of luck.

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
The naga encounter requires the help of a higher level NPC from town to survive as written. That kind of steals the thunder from the PC's and makes the adventure a tad less than perfect.

That's a minor detail that is easily enough changed.

D&D modules are not meant to be played as written. :)

Remove ads