• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Old school Wish

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Recent XKCD:
wish_interpretation_2x.png

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The genie in that comic is overthinking it. All that needs to happen is that the wisher get transported to a place/world/locale where the temperature never gets warm enough for rain; thus all that ever falls is snow... BOOM ... wish granted! :)

Maybe, but wouldn't that would be granting the wish that it "never rained on him again", not that it never rained again?
It should mean that all planets in the universe are moved to a new orbit around their stars where the temperature is either too hot for rain or too cold. And we can debate if rain must be water or can also include other chemicals that have a liquid phase. (Link to website about a planet with molten iron rain).

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
It should mean that all planets in the universe are moved to a new orbit around their stars where the temperature is either too hot for rain or too cold. And we can debate if rain must be water or can also include other chemicals that have a liquid phase. (Link to website about a planet with molten iron rain).
Or at least a dense cloud cover forms a rampant greenhouse effect, causing all the planet's water to evaporate and become basically Venus.

Though I'm sure that's really beyond the power of a Wish; the Gods who govern such things would assuredly step in if you really could Wish such things.

dvstig

Villager
This have me wonder, is it not just easier for the wish giver to simply redefine what "rain" is, to something that never happens? Will that not satisfy the condition of the wish?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
It's probably simply out of bounds for what that level of magic can do. Especially since the wish doesn't specify what can't rain, or where. Like, nothing can rain down from overhead, be it fire, blood, stones, frogs, or fish? And not just on your world, but every world?

I'd probably handle it this way. "Your wish is granted!"

Next day, it starts to rain. "Hey, what gives, I wished that it wouldn't rain again!"

"That is true, my master, unfortunately, since then, 13 people have wished for it to rain, so the power of your wish has been spent."

dvstig

Villager
Does that include changing the language-center in the brains of everyone that uses the word rain?
Most likely, but you other option is to basically stop things from falling from the sky in large number (if you are lucky just stop liquids) on all worlds on a permanent basis. So mind altering looks like the easier (not to mention less world ending) solution.

Remove ads