• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Oldest campaign setting(s)?

Dristram

First Post
I've been playing D&D (actually AD&D) since 1983 (13 years young! sigh). I was first introduced to the game through OD&D, but quickly became the DM and bought the AD&D books and WoG boxed set and was Greyhawk all the way until 1993 when I could only find FR games to play in.

So, there are two campaign settings that I've heard about, only recently, here and there that are considered classic settings. They are Blackmoor and Mystara. I had always thought of the WoG as the oldest setting. So, which is the oldest setting? Greyhawk? Mystara? Blackmoor?

Also, which set of rules applied to them. It seems like Mystara was an OD&D setting. What about Blackmoor?

From what I have read, I always thought that MAR Barkers Empire of the Petal Throne was the oldest published setting. For some reason, I want to think that TSR published it, before any other setting was released. I could be wrong though.

tsadkiel

Legend
Depends. I believe Blackmoor was the first setting played in, but the setting itself wasn't published until after Greyhawk (IIRC). When TSR published Blackmoor, it was placved in the prehistory of Mystara. there's also a Blackmoor in Greyhawk, and the Judges Guild version of Blackmoor placed it in their house setting.

On the other hand, if one broadens one's definition of a roleplaying setting . . . Nehwon (and Lankhmar) originated in what was essentially a pbm game played out in letters between Fritz Lieber and Harry Fischer. The Cthulhu Mythos features several instances of writers in Lovecraft's circle working each other into stories. C.S. Lewis and his brother, as children, played games which revolved around a fantasy land that eventually evolved into Narnia. The Brontes as children also set their play in an imaginary kingdom, the name of which I forget.

So there you have it. The Bronte sisters invented roleplaying.

EDIT: Through the power of google, I've learned that the Brontes invented two worlds, Gondal and Angria.

Last edited:

Glyfair

Explorer
I think it's unclear whether Blackmoor or Greyhawk came first. I think Blackmoor is generally considered to have the edge, though. Mystara was definitely later.

Another RPG world that can be listed among the earliest is Glorantha. It was created in the 60's in the writings of Greg Stafford. In the 70's the wargame White Bear, Red Moon was set in the world, followed by Runequest.

Glyfair of Glamis

Glyfair

Explorer
tsadkiel said:
Depends. I believe Blackmoor was the first setting played in, but the setting itself wasn't published until after Greyhawk (IIRC). When TSR published Blackmoor, it was placved in the prehistory of Mystara. there's also a Blackmoor in Greyhawk, and the Judges Guild version of Blackmoor placed it in their house setting.

Blackmoor was published very early in Judges Guild history as "The First Fantasy Campaign," IRRC. I believe it was one of JG's first products (if not the first).

Also, the earliest D&D Adventure I remember seeing published was "Temple of the Frog" which was published in one of the expansions to OD&D (Blackmoor, I think).

As a matter of fact, both may be online free at some point, as per Mr. Arneson himself at this link: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~mcco0212/blackmoor/act11101998.htm

Glyfair of Glamis

Last edited:

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Yeah, Blackmoor is generally thought to be the oldest setting for RPGs as we know them. Tekumel (Empire of the Petal Throne) existed earlier, IIRC, but was not expressly created for RPGs. Greyhawk was, again IIRC, the first published setting created specifically for RPGs. But, I could very well be wrong; I'm relying on fuzzy memories.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads