• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Olfactory magic

robjh

First Post
For a while now I've been pondering a unique branch of arcane magic that is oriented around odor and taste. This would be used, for example, by gnomes and races that have the scent special ability. So I think this would be something like an alchemical ability, producing magical effects by mixing together different scented materials in specific portions and quantities. I don't think it should be skills-based, but should probably receive bonuses for high Wis scores.

Since the other classes have limited spells per day, how do you think this should be balanced out? I expect that the preparation time will be one factor. It takes a much linger time to prepare olfactory magic, for example, and it doesn't work well in windy conditions and in areas with powerful overlapping odors. Some of the magic may involve food preparation, or be something like the old witches cauldron.

Any ideas? :)

Psimancer

First Post
I like.

Back in the old days (the early ‘90s), Peter Atkinson (the guy who started WoTC), did a great series of generic divinity RPG books called The Primal Order (and was actually sued by Palladium over some of the system conversion content – long story).

In one of the chapter narratives there was a character that could taste magic. In one of the illustrations, the character was licking a window sill to determine if it was enspelled. I found the idea very strange but quite unique and evocative.

Anyway, I digress. What about basing the mechanics around Invocations from Unearthed Arcana (pg 174)? The balancing element here is, like you suggest, a time factor.

Unfortunately, it is skill based mechanic (which I know you said you didn’t want), but you can determine which is appropriate on a case by case basis (such as a cooking skill), and give bonuses as you feel are necessary (Scent = +10?)…

Just a thought…

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I once played a gnome alchemists who used smoke grenades and scented Candles to produce 'wonderous effects'. Spell effects like Sleep can easily be simulated by use of achemical candles, even circles against evil etc might work, and yeah candles where the smell clings to magic items are possible.
Cloudkill and its ilk could easily be replaced with a stench cloud

Anyway the limiting factor is too fold 1. Preparation time (Craft:Alchemy) to make the candles/grenades and 2. Casting time (how long does it take a scent to full a 10X10 room (imc it was set at 10 minutes) - hence the grandes for when immediate effects were required (smoke screen, nausea, fireball (explosive))

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads