• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Ollie’s has Campaign Cases for $3 and Warriors of Krynn for $10

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Ouch. That goes to show how poorly those products have caught on. Some people like to pretend that a book that they don't like (say Spelljammer) have done badly when they haven't - but these products, the Campaign Cases and the Dragonlance Board Game have not caught on with the general audience.

Which is clear by just how crazy those "discounts" are. They must have quite a few to get rid of. I hope (and assume) that there won't be a lot of them offered at that price, but still! Ouch.
No. I mean, they have Barbies and monopoly.....

Retreater

Legend
There's a channel on YouTube that does streams of mocking popular brands (mostly Star Wars, Marvel, and Disney) for their inclusion on Ollie's shelves. The tone is pretty nasty and critical of diversity.
When I finally went to an Ollie's, I saw all kinds of stuff I'd enjoy: action figures, books, comics, and games. I don't think it's insulting to find the products there.
Admittedly, I don't know a lot about how this works. But what I'm putting together, I think what we're seeing are larger items that would've taken up a lot of room at big box stores like Target. They were likely over-produced to some extent, but the retailers likely over-ordered and can't "send back" to Hasbro. And there's a lot of Hasbro stuff at Ollie's (Star Wars, Marvel, Disney, etc.), and not a lot of customers buying traditional toys.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
There's a channel on YouTube that does streams of mocking popular brands (mostly Star Wars, Marvel, and Disney) for their inclusion on Ollie's shelves. The tone is pretty nasty and critical of diversity.
When I finally went to an Ollie's, I saw all kinds of stuff I'd enjoy: action figures, books, comics, and games. I don't think it's insulting to find the products there.
Admittedly, I don't know a lot about how this works. But what I'm putting together, I think what we're seeing are larger items that would've taken up a lot of room at big box stores like Target. They were likely over-produced to some extent, but the retailers likely over-ordered and can't "send back" to Hasbro. And there's a lot of Hasbro stuff at Ollie's (Star Wars, Marvel, Disney, etc.), and not a lot of customers buying traditional toys.
Ya, best selling books are there....again, this idea that if something is there that means the product was bad/too expensive/wrong is just not true (though in this case, the price was, imo, too high).

Stormonu

Legend
Just my luck, I recently picked up both on Amazon black Friday/cyber Monday. I just played the initial scenario for Warriors - it doesn't seem a bad game, though definitely (too) complex. Even watching a few "how to play" videos did little to help me learn the rules. And the little unit pieces are horrible and jarring - they should have been risk-like figures or something more inviting to look at rather than the wargame-shapes I think they're supposed to be. I would not attempt to incorporate it with running the module, that's for sure. For Warriors, that it was sold separately only much later than the combined set I think hurt it. The Campaign Case though, was just overpriced from the start.

I'm going to check my local Ollie's tomorrow though - if they have the campaign case, I'd be willing to pick up an extra or two.

Does somewhat remind me of when I picked up a bunch of TSR boxed sets being sold at clearance back in the K&B days - got Legend of the Spelljammer and The Astromundi Cluster, as I recall.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Ya, best selling books are there....again, this idea that if something is there that means the product was bad/too expensive/wrong is just not true (though in this case, the price was, imo, too high).
I mean, you're absolutely right that it doesn't mean that the thing isn't GOOD. But it DOES mean that wherever they come from is having trouble selling them at a higher price. Pretty much every product that you've mentioned (Monopoly, Barbies, Best Selling Books) have one thing in common: They are often overordered by companies thinking that they will sell more than they wind up doing.

Make no mistake: For Ollies to sell things at these prices, SOMEONE is losing a lot of money on those products.

Stormonu

Legend
Yeah, Ollie's is picking up liquidation or overstock - someone's store/chain went out of business at these prices they've been put up for. Those prices aren't indicative of WotC bailing these items, just whoever had them in their inventory stock when they went under.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
And the little unit pieces are horrible and jarring - they should have been risk-like figures or something more inviting to look at rather than the wargame-shapes I think they're supposed to be.

I don't have much good to say about the components. The unit pieces, in particular, are an absolute pain to sort through - and they're not attractive.

(Heck, wooden discs placed on a board in certain locations would have served better, I feel!)

Cheers,
Merric

Retreater

Legend
Yeah, Ollie's is picking up liquidation or overstock - someone's store/chain went out of business at these prices they've been put up for. Those prices aren't indicative of WotC bailing these items, just whoever had them in their inventory stock when they went under.
I don't expect anyone went "under" or out of business. I expect it's big retailers like Wal-Mart or Target realizing they over-ordered stock and need to get them out of warehouses.
Which does reflect somewhat on how well the individual items are selling/not selling.
Otherwise, you wouldn't have cases of the same model of an action figure. If it was a single store that went out of business, one Ollies would have 5-6 of the same item. In this case, it's nearly every Ollies in North America having cases and cases of the same model.

Remove ads