• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E On initiative count 20...

MasterTrancer

Explorer
As the title says: how should I read "on initiative count 20" that is usually featured in the monsters' Lair Actions? I guess it should be compared against the initiative throws of the participants in a fight, e.g.: the power is active quite early in the round, going almost first.

I am correct? Nowhere I was able to read a reference to "initiative count", though it's probably due to a lack of time :p

Thank you all in advance.

Astrosicebear

First Post
Yes. Initiative Count 20 indicates a very quick initiative. While some characters may in fact beat this, the odds are many will not. Putting the lair action at 20 allows the majority of the characters the opportunity to react to the new danger.

Ezequielramone

Explorer
Yes, you have to track every participant in combat. if no one roll 20 or more the effect occurs first in the turn. if someone rolls 22 for example he goes before the effect.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
When you write down the initiative order (or arrange your tent cards or whatever), just put "Lair Action" with initiative of 20 and it'll make total sense as to what you need to do.

Remove ads