• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

? on legendary and extrodinary artisan

Armadon63

First Post
Ok I was wondering something. First if you have extraordinary artisan you get the 25% gold reduction in creating. if you also have Legendary does that mean the xp cost is the same as the price in DMG or do you do the xp after you apply extraordinary feat. so if an item is 1000 gold without any of the artisan feats. its 40xp to creat. IF you apply extraordiany the item is now 750 gold and 31xp to creat and. if you apply legendary after that is it 24xp to make? or is it you still take 40xp even though you reduced the gold cost with extraordinay feat. hope i didnt confuse everyone, i'm having trouble putting into writen form.

Last thing is I noticed it says you can take the feats multiple times and the effects stack. So if you took the gold one 4 times all items are free now since it takes off 25% each time you take the feat? So it would be 25% +25% = 50%? I mean you then make items instant with no cost and no xp cost. Just doesnt make sense.

Doomhawk

First Post
You can't take the feats multiple times. It says you can in the table, but not the descriptions of the feats themselves, and we know that description always takes precedence over tables. This is mentioned in the errata.

I'm not sure which way would be the strictest interpretation of the rules (especially since I can't check the exact text because I don't have my Eberron book, since my friend borrowed it... without asking me...), but I'm fairly certain that the intent of it was to only reduce the gold cost. So in your example above, if you had only Extraordinary Artisan (but not Legendary Artisan), you would still pay 40 xp.

I also wonder... I can't remember the name of the feat, but the third Artisan feat, the one that reduces crafting time - doesn't it seem like it's not terribly worthwhile?

Thanee

First Post
I think it only reduces the gold cost, but not the base price off which the XP are calculated.

Both feats start from that number, so if you only have the -25% gp feat, you still pay full XP (as you would without the feat). If you have both, you pay only 75% gp and 75% XP (100% being what you would pay without the feats).

Bye
Thanee

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a

The feats apply to the base cost and only reduce one cost (gold or xp or time).

The PGtF has the new version of Magical Artisan which reduces all three by 10% but only applies to one type of item creation.

Personally I would allow this to stack with the Eberron feats for 35% total for one craft feat and 25% for the rest (that's 4 feats total).

Last edited:

Lamoni

First Post
I agree with what has been said. I wouldn't have a problem with someone taking it more than once though. I would rule it as follows.

1 feat: 25% off of 100 = 75%
2 feats: 25% off of 75 = 56%
3 feats: 25% off of 56 = 42%
4 feats: 25% off of 42 = 32%

So if someone wanted to spend 4 feats, they could reduce the gold cost OR the xp to 32%. I believe this wasn't intended and you shouldn't be able to take them more than once. The way in which I interpret it, you get less benefit each time you retake the feat so no one would want to take it more than once or twice anyway

UltimaGabe

First Post
Li Shenron said:
Very strange.

Seems to me the sort of feat/ability whichi WotC designer would have never allowed to stack.

There isn't a stacking issue, however.

One of the feats reduces the amount of GP spent, another reduces the amount of XP spent, and the third reduces the amount of time spent. What's the problem?

Remove ads