On making a memorable character

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I have often seen these sorts of sentences: "I wanted to make a memorable character so I (insert combination of race/classes/feats/weapons/etc.)"

This is not wrong except that it begs the question. The assumption is made that characters against archetype (or without archetype) are memorable because they are non-standard.

For me a character is memorable when they have great moments in game. Playing a character with a strong archetype makes that character bold and vivid. Their identity is known and familiar. Then when they do memorable actions they become memorable.

In a year I don't remember the weird things about the character who did the amazing thing. I remember the amazing thing and can better associate it with a character if they had a strong archetype.

A note on back story - It only exists if it is in the game. A complicated and nuanced back story doesn't exist. Elements of it only exist if they occur during gameplay. That is why I love the background system so much, the traits, ideals, etc. allow the character's background to come up during play.

This is not to say that complicated and weird characters can't be unique. This is just a response to the idea that going against archetype is the way to create a memorable character.

Personally, I'm much more likely to remember a Human Champion Fighter than a complicated character based around a hook rather than an archetype.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Neither playing an archetype nor against one makes a character memorable. What I quote directly below, however, is 100% true:

...a character is memorable when they have great moments in game...when they do memorable actions they become memorable.

Then you say this:
This is just a response to the idea that going against archetype is the way to create a memorable character.

It IS a way. It isn’t a guarantee.

But equally, playing an archetype is no guarantee, either. Archetypal PCs can easily become cookie cutter and forgettable. A buddy of mine played a human mage the first time we gamed together. Over the next 20 years, every mage (his favorite class) save two he played in other D&D campaigns from 1Ed to 4Ed had the exact same spell list. The only ones I can remember are the very first one, the last one he played in 3.5Ed, and the 4Ed one that couldn’t have the same spell list because 4Ed had changed what spells were available and the effects of those that remained.

Another guy who joined the group later played a sniper archetype 90% of the time, even in other RPG systems. Again, only a few stand out.

Last edited:

Draegn

Explorer
I have found the most memorable characters to be those who did not take the obvious standard choices during creation (the mage without magic missile) and those who take actions that are not part of their archetype (the thief that voluntarily steps in front of an opponent's strike and "tanks" the blow so that the mage can cast a spell instead of dying.

Shiroiken

Legend
I have played many forgettable characters over the decades. Only a handful of characters really earn the title of "memorable," and IME it usually isn't about the character's mechanics*. A character needs to do something memorable, preferably based on their personality, to really be memorable. No one really remembers the characters that die in their first session, no matter how cool. Characters that either lack personality, or have the same personality as prior characters, don't become memorable, no matter what deeds they do. Obviously YMMV.

*Usually if it's the mechanics that are remembered, it's usually because of an epic fail. I have memories of other PCs, including an 11 AC barbarian (3E, pre-rage) and Trogdor the burninator (3E sorcerer with only fire spells, who died when facing Fire immune creatures).

Pick a character trait, and make it stronger and stronger. This may turn into a weakness and even a liability, but will be memorable.

For example:
Is your character shy? Then she'll struggle to talk to almost any NPC (except when...).
Is your character wise? Check the internet for a list of famous quotes of wise people, and start quoting them in game. A lot. And pick a catchphrase which can be applied frequently.
Is your character a follower of a god? Then carefully pick an interesting god, and make the character pray to this god a lot - also in inconvenient places, and have the character try to convert others - also in awkward moments.

Being memorable does not have to mean that it stands out. It can also mean that your character has a trait that is actually easy to remember. You can build an epic character on the back of that.

pogre

Legend
I mostly DM and the PCs I remember usually had quirks or stories outside of their respective builds. They often had some great quotes.
Examples:

An outrageous thief who spent every penny of his loot on garish clothing and clothing storage and transportation. He usually started the day by saying something like - "I think today I shall wear yellow."

A Dwarven rager type who was barely in check - think WFRP Troll Slayer. When faced with a non-cooperative group of villagers he announced - "I'm about to harvest me some peasants."

Another rogue who kept body parts from vanquished foes and used them to make marionettes and puppets. He would then put on puppet shows at taverns that made filthy suggestions about the party's paladin and monk.

The Half-Orc barbarian who always ate pieces of his foe's heart much to the disgust of the party's halfling cook.

All of these were played by different people, but the quirks made them fun and interesting PCs. It had almost nothing to do with class/race combos.

jasper

Rotten DM
I forget what Bob's class was but it was funny when he was fighting orcs and the following happen.
Bob nat 20 Orc nat 20
Bob nat 1 Orc nat 1
Bob nat 20 Orc nat 20
Bob nat 1 Orc nat 1
Bob nat 20 Orc nat 20
Bob nat 1 Orc nat 1
Or I remember the Ranger Richard Price slapped the grandmother of the king. We ran away to Ravenloft for safety.
Or. I had a wizard with a Persian Cat who walked through dungeons in a three piece suit and cane of striking (reskin staff of).
Now can anybody tell me which edition I was playing or what were the stats of these pcs?

aco175

Legend
Now thinking about it, I remember more the PCs that had quirks and sayings over game stats. NPCs as well that had good lines or traits that made them memorable.

I remember magic items that were powerful over the PCs as well and my PCs over some of the others in the group.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Stop trying to make fetch happen.

It's that simple. You can't make your character interesting with their build. Or their backstory. Or their "hilarious accent." Or by playing against, or with, type.

The character is only interesting in play.

It's an emergent game. Let the character emerge. Sometimes it's awesome. Stop trying so hard.

Unfortunately this is largely true. However, my most memorable character had an interesting appearance, odd speech pattern (think King James bible thees and thous) and while giving sermons ostensibly from a place of good (he was actually a weird warlock tricked by a fallen angel). His story, accent and looks COMBINED with in game happenings.

In another instance I had a fat red bearded barbarian (ie AD&D). He was known by his name, "the Fat). We started with max HP at level one but i rolled in front of the group 6 12s for hit points up to level 7! It was met with groans and or high fives depending on the player.

In play? He became known as "the tree" because he seemed to rarely hit but rather be hit and soak up damage for the party. He was famous for getting the party in trouble and ran with two halflings on his back from an angry mob. This again was a weird combo of design choices/backstory and totally random emergent play.

I think the two things come together. However, I cannot "make" it happen. I cannot force memorable characters. I know what helps--unique appearance, fun personality but in the end it is a crap shoot.

As to playing against type and or going against typical choices...I refuse to play a warlock who spams EB. Its dull to me. But when I try to get cute with mechanics it is fun at first and later I am over it. Any time I chase some ability combo or synergy, I am quickly bored when the novelty wears off.

I also write a lot of backstory and am thinking about toning it down. Its in the past. An outline is fine because no one "hears" the story while we are creating a new one!

It is about character. Not all are created equal. Not all happen the way we want. It can't be forced and sometimes you just have fun with vanilla.

Last edited:

Remove ads