• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General On Skilled Play: D&D as a Game

Voadam

Legend
I am running a current 5e game and I have a preference for skilled play type focus and resolution of encounters and challenges.

One of the players is playing a low con kobold bard, we started from level 1 and they are currently level 2. His motto is "Push the button!" and is played very much in a Wile E. Coyote fashion. He has been blown up a couple of times already either by monsters he tactically should have been staying farther away from based on his build, and from things literally blowing up when messed around with.

5e D&D allows him to survive and be brought back from zero when that happens.

He loves playing his character this way in my game and thinks it is completely in genre and in character for his character to occasionally get blown up like this and is enjoying it. He engages in the skilled play aspects enthusiastically "I don't touch the zappy part but I absolutely flip the switch, what happens?"

He is not approaching this in a skilled play method to beat the challenges but as a method of exploration and evocative narration and fun that generates good stories.

I would say he is being an actor enjoying the more first person immersive skilled play aspects of the game I am running.

pemerton

Legend
alignment (which interestingly has nothing to do with SP and is pretty close to the only 'role playing rule' in classic D&D).
It seems to me that at least at some tables alignment was an aspect of skilled play. The impression I get from Lewis Pulsipher's articles (and a bit, but less clearly, from Gygax) is that being Lawful/Good opens the door to healing and resurrection but imposes limits on permissible declared actions; whereas being Chaotic/Evil opens the door to a wider range of action declarations but makes it harder to get healing/resurrection and (at least in AD&D) also penalises reaction rolls.

pemerton

Legend
where does this seperation between out of combat and in combat problem solving come from? They could easily involve the same actual skill set.
It's a historical accident: when combat had to be resolved Gygax et al broke out Chainmail or, later on, the single-figure vs single-figure roll-a-d20-to-hit-and-a-damage-die-to-ablate-hit-points rules.

Whereas solving tricks, traps, puzzles, mapping etc was all done by negotiating the fiction. (Though certain fictional moves - like opening a door - might require a check - eg on STR for doors. Again I think that's just historical contingency.)

The Gygaxian dividing lines have proved workable enough over time, but hardly seem magical to me. What I find a bit strange is that they are sometimes treated as sacrosanct; as if combat in RPGing has to be resolved wargame style, and as if having a "minigame" for anything else is a crime against true roleplaying.

pemerton

Legend
They did not have rules for building higher levels characters
That's not really true. There's Appendix P in Gygax's DMG.

Having my players start at higher levels had been guilt tripped seriously.
That's not really true either. This is discussed in Gygax's DMG (in multiple places, of course!). He is against new players starting with non-1st level PCs because they won't have the skill to match the PC level. But he gives guidelines for starting experienced players with higher-level PCs.

pemerton

Legend
Can you hear the scoffing in this on page 12

"I do not personally favor granting unearned experience level(s)"

EXCEPT AT MY TABLE...

"except in extreme circumstances such as just mentioned, for it tends to rob the new player of the real enjoyment he or she would normally feel upon actually gaining levels of experience by dint of cleverness, risk, and hard fighting."

You have to EARN your fun dying over and over again easily is the real enjoyment ... you have to suffer (or act like a coward) to feel you truly accomplished it.

Sorry the scoffing is mine I guess
Unearned is a reference to player experience overall, not necessarily the play of a particular character. Once you've done it once you don't have to do it again, as pp 110-11 explain:

[Some] experienced players will have no characters, but they will have useful knowledge of the game which puts them apart from true novices. . . .

Experienced players without existing characters should generally be brought into the campaign at a level roughly equal to the average of that of the other player characters. . . . After all, they are not missing out on anything, as they have already played beginning character roles elsewhere, and they will not have to be virtually helpless and impotent characters in your campaign . . .​

pemerton

Legend
An actor focused player might not be happy being driven to playing careful characters designed to survive in a high lethality environment.
Sure. I don't think classic D&D is a very good game for that player. Given that I'm some sort of version of that player I have no interest in playing classic D&D. The only version of D&D I would touch for more than a one-shot is 4e.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
My point being that the group may or may not have an interest in engaging the actor, irrespective of their use of SP. The former is far more important than the latter (IMO).
I mean, yes, but we aren't talking about "a group should discuss the game they're playing before they play it." That is a best-practices action that precedes literally all forms of group activity, it isn't even specific to tabletop roleplaying games let alone SP-focused D&D. To be so focused on this is a bit like saying that before we can talk about legal drinking age, we have to have established a language to communicate between residents of the state in question--that is theoretically true, but is so utterly fundamental to doing any activity even the tiniest, vaguest bit LIKE the activity in question that it is actually reasonable to presume that conversation has already happened to some extent.

I understand that you're looking to analyze a technique/play style. That's fine. I even agree with you that, in general, SP is not well suited for actors. However, it's also important to remember that such general observations frequently don't hold up when applied to individual instances.
The issue isn't so much that it isn't well-suited to actors, but rather that it is actively opposed to best-practices in actor-supportive play. That is, actors usually want to have the freedom to explore a variety of personality traits even if they settle down on only a few for any given character. They want to tease out the reactions, the realizations, etc. SP almost always builds on a foundation of throwaway characters (directly opposing the "see a character respond/adapt" motivation) and outright "punishes" players who try to only make decisions based off of what a specific character could know given that character's history and experiences.

Quotes on "punishes" because it's not strictly a punishment per se, but the rules and the people who run them have the expectation that knowledge carries over always, no matter the context, and failing to abide by that WILL mean you lose characters...a lot, actually. E.g., if the previous campaign's character knew that black puddings and ochre jellies split when subjected to lightning damage, every character you play from there on out knows this, even in completely different campaigns with no connection to the original. That's really, really hard to justify from an actor standpoint unless you basically abandon any notion of "acting" other than a single archetype repeated forever.

It may not be OUTRIGHT "if you're an actor-type player, do not play this," but it's about as close as it can get without being so. In much the same way, for example, as the LARGE number of people have told me that "characters don't permanently die unless the player wants it to happen" completely ruins their D&D experience. It robs the experience of any joy or meaning, as far as they're concerned, and for many of them it's literally not possible to see how such a game could continue to have stakes and consequences. That may not be quite "if you're an SP-type player, do not play this," but the difference is academic at best.

Personally, I think you're rather overblowing the "trends are not ironclad causation" idea. Yes, these are trends, not absolutely irrefutable A-to-B-to-C chains. But they're demonstrably very common, and the whole idea of calling a player type "actor" was because such a thing had fairly consistent, durable meaning across different groups.

Awareness that SP and actors don't necessarily jive well can be useful if you're trying to diagnose that particular issue at your table. But it would be a mistake to extrapolate from it the reverse. An actor could play with an SP group and everyone could have a great time, depending on the individual actor and the group.
I disagree. That is, just as you say, it can be useful to know in advance that SP-focused systems are very unlikely to please your actor friend without some concessions on one side or the other. Maybe that means you just tell your actor friend, "Hey man, I don't think this game would really be for you. I won't tell you you can't play with us, but there's a good chance you wouldn't want to play this." Just as, again, if I had a hardcore SP-only type friend back when I was putting together the group I run for, I probably would have offered them the chance to join, but also warned them that my style of DMing is likely to fail to meet their needs unless we work stuff out ahead of time. Because I can reasonably predict that a serious SP-focused player won't like such a "character-driven TV show" type game, even if I can't be absolutely perfectly certain, I can leverage that knowledge usefully.

I don't see anyone claiming that it is absolutely impossible for someone who likes actor-type play to enjoy an SP game. Nor do I see anyone claiming the reverse or most other variations. I instead see that people are saying, "Well, these two styles are pretty close to diametrically opposed on these highly important axes. That's very likely to cause problems, unless at least one side makes some compromises, and probably major ones."

pemerton

Legend
The issue isn't so much that it isn't well-suited to actors, but rather that it is actively opposed to best-practices in actor-supportive play.

<snip>

It may not be OUTRIGHT "if you're an actor-type player, do not play this," but it's about as close as it can get without being so.

<snip>

it can be useful to know in advance that SP-focused systems are very unlikely to please your actor friend without some concessions on one side or the other. Maybe that means you just tell your actor friend, "Hey man, I don't think this game would really be for you. I won't tell you you can't play with us, but there's a good chance you wouldn't want to play this." Just as, again, if I had a hardcore SP-only type friend back when I was putting together the group I run for, I probably would have offered them the chance to join, but also warned them that my style of DMing is likely to fail to meet their needs unless we work stuff out ahead of time.
To me it feels as if there are some other premises underpinning this discussion - for instance, that the "skilled play" game is the only one going, or is going to be a campaign lasting months, or similar.

Because normally I would expect the logic of a RPG to be pretty clear from the start, or emerge pretty soon in play, similar to a board game or card game. And then I'd assume that any player of the game would play the game more-or-less in the spirit that is appropriate. That's not to say any sort of heads-up or pre-game discussion would be inappropriate; but it doesn't seem to me to be any more necessary for "actor" players in the "skilled play" context than for any other player being invited to take part in a new game (RPG or otherwise).

EDIT: To put it another way, I prefer whist-type card games to rummy-type card games, but can play both; and can also play wargame-y games like MtG if invited to. If I turn up to card-playing-group and find that it's MtG today that's not ideal for me, but I can happily join in, recoginsing that my preference for auctions and trick-taking is going to go unsatisfied for the moment.

Is the typical "actor" RPGer so insistent on playing in that fashion that nothing else is possible for him/her?

Remove ads