• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

On the State of Digital Aids for D+D/D20/OGL

Fumbling through item creation/equipping too (creating and equipping a magical weapon is a bit clunky at first---though again this will likely be overcome with experience), PCGen appears to allow for a higher degree of customization with weapons (I don't see the area where I could add various spell-like effects or other atypical weapon characteristics). DMgenie's interface gives you a lot of good, well placed, relevant information in its screens though...
And again, it is very, very fast...

Okay... it took me about 15 minutes to create, level up and equip my first NPC---a Gnome Wizard 6/ Rogue 6 afflicted Wererat. Given that this was my first time through---that is a pretty darn good time. I am not sure the Wererat part went through well though---I picked up 4 hd of "animal"---don't think that jibes with the actual rules.

noretoc

First Post
yup, you would just use the race wererat, and then add the regular levels. You don;t have to add the levels of the race cause they are already in there and reflected in the XP (for ECL)

noretoc said:
yup, you would just use the race wererat, and then add the regular levels. You don;t have to add the levels of the race cause they are already in there and reflected in the XP (for ECL)

Problem with that method is that DM Genie won't let me be two races at once---so I can't be a Gnome wererat. Also---zipping through the non-PC races revealed some odd results---there are traps as races! I am an imaginative guy---but I don't buy a pit trap as a race.

I tend to think that PCGen's template implementation might be a tad better here (though if you have even just a few source books it takes you FOREVER to scrool through all the possible templates----there should be some sort of search built in----and I never liked their "Saddle on Mount" template to handle the ride skill modifiers).

mosat

First Post
iwarrior-poet said:
I tend to think that PCGen's template implementation might be a tad better here (though if you have even just a few source books it takes you FOREVER to scrool through all the possible templates----there should be some sort of search built in

Supprise! there is. As of at least 5.10.1 there is a text field at the top of each list tab labeled "Filter" which will filter the list to those items whose name or type partially matches whatever you type into it. This is in addition to the other filters which have been there for a while which let you filter out using other atributes.

iwarrior-poet said:
and I never liked their "Saddle on Mount" template to handle the ride skill modifiers).

The open source data uses a temporary bonus not a template to apply this penalty. We also do not enable this by default so unless you specifically enable it it will never trouble you.

mosat said:
Supprise! there is. As of at least 5.10.1 there is a text field at the top of each list tab labeled "Filter" which will filter the list to those items whose name or type partially matches whatever you type into it. This is in addition to the other filters which have been there for a while which let you filter out using other atributes.

The open source data uses a temporary bonus not a template to apply this penalty. We also do not enable this by default so unless you specifically enable it it will never trouble you.
I use CMP data---which has it as a template (I believe).
Either way I think the default should have a PC using/equiped for a saddle for a particular mount. I know WoTC might get persnickety about the skill modifier---but c'mon now, when was the last time you rode a horse bareback?!?

Any response from the DMGenie folks on how to do a Gnome (or any other race) lycanthrope? One way I tried gave me 4 animal levels---and I can't select more than one race on the first PC creation page.

Zym

First Post
There should be a Lycanthrope Template that you can just add to the base character.

Create a Gnome (new creature (f5) option-PC Races) and level him up. Then go to the Classes Tab (lower DMGenie Panel main screen) and select the add Template option, add the Lycanthrope (make sure to follow the final pop up windows instructions - you have to add the apt Animal levels & Hp increase after) and you should be good to go.

If you want to Thrope him out before leveling. Use F5 and the Monsters tab...add the Lycanthrope Template and add it to a group. Do the Animal levels and then add Class Levels (off the above mentioned Classes Tab). Should work out well. I do this sometimes as we use a set order for creatures with Inherited Templates, or with Flaws/Traits (mainly for what we view as apt stacking, such as effects that multiply base speed, etc)

You can just add 1 level, then the template, then finish up leveling as well.

Note: I'm not using the most recent version atm, mainly due to lack of time to re-code everything (well lots anyhow) in our game for current DMGenie changes, so there may be some updates that I am unaware of. You might want to toss this up at the DMGenie forums (if their back up yet)

HTH
~Zym

Edit: I am also among those desperate for a program that will do...well basically everything DMGenie does (with some clean up and additions). But with Official WotC data sets for our multitude of source & splatbooks!

Last edited:

noretoc

First Post
There is a lycanthrope template. The race version are great if you want a quick version, but you can make you gnome, and select apply template on the bottom right of the main window on the Classes Tab. Select the animal for the lycanthrope and you will be all set.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads