• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

On using minis in D&D - approach of AD&D1 vs. D&D3

TavernBrawler

First Post
Even when not using minis, every group I have been in still used counters or markers or some sort and maps. The most abstract games still had tactical encounters. I do feel that OD&D, AD&D, and 3E all assume miniature use as a core part of the D&D.

But then again, we are all expressing opinions here.

Delta

First Post
(Sigh) Sometimes I don't know why I read these particular threads anymore, they're just so unnecessarily argumentative. It's really clear even in OD&D than miniatures were a possibly compatible add-on, and not required. Of the "Recommended Equipment" in OD&D Vol. 1, p. 5, in a comprehensive list of 13 items, miniatures are not listed. That page also says this:

Miniature figures can be added if the players have them available and so desire, but miniatures are not required, only esthetically pleasing...

While I agree that minis are optional in all the editions (even 3E), I think some versions work better with minis and some without. Here's my view:

OD&D: A development of miniatures rules. Very close relationship, both because of terminolgy and because the tactical rules assume the use of Chainmail, by default (although Chainmail is not an absolute requirement). Minis a natural fit, but not absolutely necessary (largely depends on how the referee runs combat, which is not explicitly defined by the rules).

AD&D: A development of OD&D. Adds explicit movement-in-combat and engagement rules that facilitate play without minis (and, if run as written, makes the use of minis for precise tactical positioning difficult). Retains some terminology and artifacts from OD&D and Chainmail. Works exceptionally well without minis. Minis can still be used, in an abstract fashion, or can be used more precisely with some minor house ruling of the RAW.

Classic D&D (B/X, BECM, etc): A separate development of OD&D (parallel with AD&D). Drops some of the mini/wargame-specific terminology and artifacts. Uses yet another system for handling movement-in-combat (10 sec. round instead of 1 min round, different movement rate, etc). Works very well with minis; they're helpful. Works good without minis, too.

3E: Mini use assumed and integrated into the design of the system. Works very well with minis; they're very helpful. Works okay without them, too.

T. Foster

First Post
Another key quote from OD&D:
OD&D vol. I said:
FORWARD
It is relatively simple to set up a fantasy campaign, and better still it will cost almost nothing. In fact you will not even need miniature figures, although their occasional employment is recommended for real spectacle when battles are fought.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Our crew have always used mini's; I can't imagine playing the game without them. A star character's character piece becomes as iconic as its character sheet...20 years later, we can still look at a particular mini and say "That was [fill in relevant name here]".

We use a chalkboard with 2" squares perma-inked onto it; the character pieces we use are usually the old-school metal ones with small enough bases that 3 can fit across a grid square representing a 10' hallway. The newer ones (WotC and others) with the bigger plastic bases are a bloody pain...unless we go to a 3" grid, which has its own problems.

Lanefan

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
As I see it, the only edition of D&D that really stepped away from miniatures was 2nd edition. It's also the only edition we didn't miniatures with very often. We played 1st edition with miniatures most of the time.
In fact, the focus on miniatures in 3E is, as I see it, one of the ways 3E takes us back to the 1st edition feel.

T. Foster

First Post
Anecdotal account: I never used minis much in my games in the 80s-90s, nor did I see them used much by others. Occasionally we'd have a set of minis on the table establishing the party marching order, but they were mostly ignored and never moved unless people changed positions or someone died -- I never played in a game with a gridded battlemat until 2004. However, my current group uses minis and a battlemat and all of the players but me prefer it this way and claim that's how they've always done it. Part of this could be regional -- I grew up in Indiana, whereas I'm now living (and all the other players grew up) in southern California -- except that the way I saw minis used in rpgs at GenCon (over 10 years, from 1988-97) was generally* the same way I saw them used in my home games, game-club games, and local/regional convention games, even though I assume GenCon was drawing players from all over the country, not just the midwest.

*there were a small handful exceptional games that used minis and elaborate 3D dungeon-models, but these were rare and unusual; I'd guess that 95%+ of the rpg sessions I both played in and observed at GenCon over the entire 10 years either didn't use minis at all or used them solely to represent party marching order.

Imp

First Post
I've only had one actual miniature in my whole life, a hand-me-down, and I've never used it. I did, occasionally, graph out fights in BE(CM)* and AD&D, usually when missile fire was involved, almost never in straight-up slugouts.

*never got the Companion or Masters set. :p

robberbaron

First Post
At the beginning of my gaming experience (1975) I didn't use figures but, when AD&D (1e) came out and my gaming group expanded, we started using them and have done so ever since.

Initially, they were useful for showing marching order and for positioning (and facing, of course) during combat, also to show where someone was in a room/cavern/clearing/whatever out of combat.

3.0/3.5 brought the necessity of figures, however. Without them it would be very difficult to adjudicate AoOs.

TavernBrawler

First Post
Delta said:
(Sigh) Sometimes I don't know why I read these particular threads anymore, they're just so unnecessarily argumentative. It's really clear even in OD&D than miniatures were a possibly compatible add-on, and not required. Of the "Recommended Equipment" in OD&D Vol. 1, p. 5, in a comprehensive list of 13 items, miniatures are not listed. That page also says this:

These threads are argumentative because everything is subject to interpretation. There are parts that explicity imply the use of minis, and in the very same book parts that tell you they are optional. I think the books themselves lead to this continuous arguement.

edit: As a side note, most of these threads remind me a lot of the movie Life of Brian. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads