• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

once and for all, can you wield 2 implements?

Tripgnosis

First Post
This has already been discussed and no concensus has yet to be made. The other thread I was looking at got pretty off-topic and a bit messy which is why I started this one.

Can we get an official ruling PLEASE

reaving + corruption is just to powerful, IMO (all minions die), and a good example of the kinds of problems we'll see in the future if dual wielding implements is allowed.

EDIT: I guess the this combo would be broken by the distinction between transfer and place, one can say it's just semantics but with a game like this terminology is infinitely important. Still I'd like to know if you're allowed to wield 2 implements....

Last edited:

knifie_sp00nie

First Post
I always thought the answer was yes, just like wielding a weapon in each hand. The restriction is that you can only use one of them to make an attack. You gain the benefit of choice.

Rods and other items with passive effects are a bit different, but I'd make a similar ruling. You can only gain the benefit of one rod effect per round. You could even go so far as to say you're stuck with your rod choice until the beginning of your next turn as soon as you use one or another.

I haven't seen any explicit rules, but it's well within the spirit of the rules.

Tripgnosis

First Post
I like the idea of stacking passive effects for interesting combos, but I know that could very easily get out of control. With the distinction between transfer and place the all-minion-death-combo is solved, but the reaving+corruption combo is still pretty powerful. I can't decide wehether or not it would be TOO powerful, or just really cool. That aside, I'm worried about other, future combos that would be way too powerful....

Ravingdork

Explorer
Some questions I sent to CS a while back...

Hi Juddson,

Thank you for contacting us. The answers to your questions are below.

1.) If I have a +1 Wand of Icy Terrain and a +6 Magical Wand, and I cast icy terrain (from the former wand) do I get a +6 enhancement bonus to attack and damage rolls with it, or only a +1?

-- You only get a +1 enhancement bonus. Regardless of how many implements you might be holding, you can only benefit from one implement at a time.

2.) Now, if I cast fireball from my traditional spell repitoire, would it benefit from the +1 enhancement bonus, or the +6--provided I am holding both of the aforementioned wands?

-- You would have to choose which implement you were using before you cast your spell. Again, regardless of how many implements you might be holding, you can only benefit from one implement at a time.

3.) What about properties and critical damage bonuses? If I have different values from multiple implements, how do I determine which values to use?

-- You choose one implement and use those properties when you cast the spell with that implement. You cannot benefit from both implements at the same time.

4.) Can I get the +Xd10 crit damage against bloodied foes for my Orb of Sanguinary Repurcussions WHILE benefitting from the power of my Wand of Icy Terrain?

-- No, You cannot benefit from both implements at the same time.

I hope this information is useful. Good Gaming!

We would appreciate your feedback on the service we are providing you. Please click here to fill out a short questionnaire.

To login to your account, or update your question please click here.

Marc
Customer Service Representative
Wizards of the Coast
1-800-324-6496 (US and Canada)
425-204-8069 (From all other countries)
Monday-Friday 9am-6pm PST / 12pm-9pm EST

Marc repeats it clearly four times.

knifie_sp00nie

First Post
This occurred to me after posting, but I could see a daily utility power that allowed you to stack implement effects. I don't think WotC would ever release one because it could be too unpredictable, but in a game with a good DM it could be a fun power and bring back some of the dual-wand flavor of the original warlock.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Can we get an official ruling PLEASE
I sincerely doubt you will get anything official from this forum.

reaving + corruption (...) EDIT: I guess the this combo would be broken by the distinction between transfer and place
That's how I rule it.

If a semantic quibble results in rules sanity, it's a good quibble.

Some questions I sent to CS a while back...
Note that all your questions are about using a power. None of them are actually relevant to his question, which involve two properties triggered by different events.

Cheers, -- N

Tripgnosis

First Post
yeah, those responses from CS are all relating enhancement bonuses and critical damage bonuses. My question was concerning passive situational effects and bonuses. Although, in his responses he did say you can only benefit from one implement at a time. That sounds all inclusive to me, but since the subject of passive properties didn't come up, not sure if he meant it to sound all-inclusive. It may be that he just wasn't considering passive properties when he made those responses.....

Again, I love the idea of stacking passive benefits by dual-wielding implements. But only if it's something WOTC had considered when designing the rules and is purposefully allowed. Otherwise, it's an exploit that hasn't been balanced properly. Even if, at this exact moment there isn't a combo that would be too powerful, that doesn't mean there won't be a grossly unbalanced combo in the future. It's pretty likely in fact, if they didn't plan for it...

Last edited:

Note that all your questions are about using a power. None of them are actually relevant to his question, which involve two properties triggered by different events.

yeah, those responses from CS are all relating enhancement bonuses and critical damage bonuses.

Not true. Question 3 asks about properties, and there the answer is the same. Not that I put much stock in CS responses, but this one does answer the OP's question regarding combining the reaving and corruption rods' properties (i.e. you can't).

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Not true. Question 3 asks about properties, and there the answer is the same. Not that I put much stock in CS responses, but this one does answer the OP's question regarding combining the reaving and corruption rods' properties (i.e. you can't).
"Critical" isn't a property, so that may have confused CS.

Are you seriously contending that, if you have resist 5 fire and necrotic from suit of black iron armor, and resist 5 poison from an amulet of health, you can't "use" both sets of resistance against a single attack? Seriously, if you take 6 points of necrotic and poison damage, you should resist both damage types, and thus only suffer one point of damage. Any other result is crazy talk.

Cheers, -- N

ObsidianCrane

First Post
You can carry 2 implements at once and alternate their use. You cannot use two at the same time (see PHB page 224 Magic Item Categories).

Which means that this does not necassarily address the Reaving + Corruption issue as the two rods have different conditions for their properties. You use the Reaving Rod to apply the curse, and the Corruption rod when the Pact Boon is triggered. However you cannot use the Corruption Rod to Reave with as that would be using 2 items for the same slot at once (PHB page 224).

Personally I'm thinking of stopping the Reaving Rod from killing minions, as it can ruin scenes all to easily.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads