• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Once per round

MindWanderer

First Post
With abilities like Sneak Attack (works once per round), what determines the end of a round? For instance, if a warlord uses Commander's Strike, can the rogue use it to sneak attack if they made a sneak attack on their last turn? Or would a sneak attack from Commander's Strike prevent the rogue from using sneak attack on their next turn?

I have always thought of a round as from the begining of the initiative order until the end of the initiative order. So if the rogue was last in the initiative order and used SA, and then the warlord went and used Commander's Strike, the rogue could use SA again, but wouldnt be able to use it again on its turn.

However if the rogue was first in the initiative order and didnt make a SA, and then the warlord went and used CS, the rogue could make a SA, and then use it again when its turn came up again.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
A round is started when the first person in the initiative order starts their turn and is ended when the last person in initiative order ends their turn.

Extra actions like using an action point or actions granted by a class ability are done within the round and are counted as a part of the person's actions who is currently having their turn.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
ForbidenMaster said:
I have always thought of a round as from the begining of the initiative order until the end of the initiative order. So if the rogue was last in the initiative order and used SA, and then the warlord went and used Commander's Strike, the rogue could use SA again, but wouldnt be able to use it again on its turn.
If you're acting within the round as you describe it, which is correct, then how can you have two sneak attacks?

You can only have one sneak attack per round. The above paragraph is saying you're having two sneak attacks in the one round.

GorTeX

First Post
Isn't a round more 'personal' in length.

Player/creature A's round begins at the start of his turn and ends right before the beginning of his next turn

Player/Creature B's round begins at the start of his turn and ends right before the beginning of his next turn

So, Rogue uses sneak attack during his turn (rogue round 1)
Warlord uses commander's strike to let the rogue attack..no sneak attack since the rogue used his sneak attack this 'round' (warlord round 1)
End of Rogue's round 1--Start Rogue's round 2. Rogue doesn't/can't use sneak attack this turn for whatever reason (not in position, has to do something besides attacking, whatever--he's not prevented from using sneak attack, he just doesn't have the oppurtunity to use it)
End of Warlord's round 1--Start of Warlords Round 2--uses commander's strike on the rogue again..rogue can use sneak attack on the attack (let's say he is able and does so)
end of Rogue's round 2--start of Rogue's round 3--he uses his sneak attack on his attack this turn.

NMcCoy

Explorer
I think the easiest method is that "your round" for the purposes of "once per round" effects starts at the start of your turn. My group has always viewed initiative as circular once it starts, so there's no special end-of-initiative-list effects.

MindWanderer

First Post
For the record, in 3e, "one round" started at the end of your turn. So if you used an immediate action right after your turn, you couldn't use a swift action the next time your turn came around.

I definitely think numerical initiative shoudn't play into it--there should never be any benefit from "delaying" from the end of one initiative order to the beginning of the next one.

Harr

First Post
I already posted this in the other thread about once-per-round, but for the sake of completeness:

PHB page 268 said:
Once per Round: You can take only one immediate action per round, either an immediate interrupt or an immediate reaction. If you haven’t taken an immediate action since the end of your last turn, you can take one when a trigger allows you to.

Thus once per round = between the end of your last turn and the end of your next turn.

I think it's also evident in that one-round durations are generally described as "until the end of your next turn."

I also have to wonder exactly what is it that makes people so confidently and so solidly say 'the beginning of initiative" since I can't find anything anywhere in the rules relating to durations that would make one think that.

Remove ads