• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

One Bad Egg going dark

mevers

First Post
Right now I am basically looking for 3 things from 3rd parties. I want adventures, monsters and adventure support material (locations, groups, etc.)

This.

If you include a file I can easily import into the monster builder with your monsters, I will be all over them in a flash.

But I don't want long adventures full of filler encounters that cover 2 - 3 levels of play. I want short adventures of about 6 - 8 encounters / scenes. A couple of intro encounters, a then a short dungeon (~4 encounters). Some of those encounters of course would preferably be (well written) skill challenges. Something I can finish in a session or two, and doesn't come to dominate my campaign.

If a company released a series of these, priced them about 5 - 6 bucks each for the pdf, and gave me a monster builder file with all the monsters / NPCs, then I would again be all over that and buy them as quick as you could release them.

If you play 4e, then it's a pity. They consistently made the best 3PP products for the game.

It's a pity that more people didn't buy their products.

Yep by far the best. Such a pity :(

But as they said DDi etc is so great how do you compete. I know my players would not make a PC that they couldn't use the CharBuilder for. This sort of thing stiffles 3PP and house rules

So sad.

AllisterH

First Post
It's weird now....

Even if WOTC had released 4e under the OGL, without access to the character builder, I don't think One Bad Egg would've survived....

Similarly, I'm with others with regard to monsters as well. While it is much easier for a 3PP to actually create a monster, the fact that I still have to type it in actually means I'm more likely to just ask myself "Why am I paying to do this and isn't there a WOTC monster I could use instead"?

Given how every month there's more and more races/feats/classes/monsters/items/powers/rituals being added to the compendium, crunch is not exactly a demand for me as a DM _OR_ player.

I fully admit that both the character and monster builder have made me lazy. The amount of time pre 4E it took to integrate a 3PP "crunch" into the campaign was EXACTLY the same as integrating WOTC's own stuff so I viewed the 3PP as roughly equivalent.

Now though? It's not in the database? It's not in my game.

It bears saying that people on the internet are the people most exposed to 3rd party publishers and PDF games, and at the same time they are the people most exposed to D&D Insider.

garyh

First Post
Bummer. I bought and enjoyed reading the Half-Dead race (I've long wanted an undead PC race, and the Half-Dead has parts that appeal to me more than Revenants, which came out later anyway), but like many of you, I haven't had the opportunity to use it in a game. As has been said, once you get used to the Character Builder, it's hard to not use it. I really enjoyed the Advanced Player's Guide, but that's suffered the same fate.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
On the other hand, it's sad that it's doing so in such a way that 3pps can't compete.

IMO, it's only seen as sad because we have the OGL era to compare the current WotC business model to. Remember, before that, closed content was the industry standard. With the OGL, WotC granted other companies the privilege of using their content — but that's exactly what it was — a privilege.

ggroy

First Post
IMO, it's only seen as sad because we have the OGL era to compare the current WotC business model to. Remember, before that, closed content was the industry standard. With the OGL, WotC granted other companies the privilege of using their content — but that's exactly what it was — a privilege.

Did any 3pp's from the 1E and 2E eras produce any AD&D supplements which had new races, classes, etc ...?

ggroy

First Post
If I was Goodman Games, it would priority #1.

If I was going to keep doing crunch sourcebooks like Forgotten Heroes races/classes.etc... books.

In the cases of Goodman's "Forgotten Heroes: Fang, Fist and Song" and XRP's "Advanced Player's Guide", most likely they knew from the start that either book would probably have a short shelf lifespan until the 4E PHB2 was released. I wouldn't be surprised if either book only had one print run.

On the other hand for Goodman's "Forgotten Heroes: Scythe & Shroud", that may possibly have a longer shelf life until WotC produces a PHB4 (or later) which features shadow power classes. (This is assuming PHB3 is mainly dedicated to psionic power classes).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads