• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

One concern (sorta)

Cactot

First Post
I am beyond pumped for 4e, it seems like it will have just about everything that i would want in a RPG system. The one thing i have been wondering about, and slightly concerned about, is the number of dailies and encounter abilities that you can have "memorized" in one day. Although it is not a deal-breaker for me, I will be sorely disappointed if I have to make a major house-rule early on in the games lifespan. The idea of a caster having 1-2 dailies and 2-3 encounter and 3-5 at will powers seems like a VERY limited amount to me, especially considering how cool some of the dailies will surely be (blade barrier? bigby's ____? heck yeah!). I doubt that they haven't considered this, and I am pretty confident that we will not run into this problem, but it rather surprised me, as it is the first potentially negative thought i have had about 4e.

While it would still be an upgrade for most melee classes, the caster classes are going to feel the pain if we are talking 6-10 total possible "spells" per day. Now i don't think they should have the same amount as they previously did (45+ at high level), but 15-20 seems like a good number for a reasonably high level character. Who knows, rituals (or whatever they are called) might handle this issue. It just struck me as one of my only concerns, anyone else feel the same? and/or have any re-assuring words or quotes?

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Well, we don't know exactly how many powers we get (atleast not sure we do) and also it is divided between combat and utility so there is less, "why can't I have one more spell slot" from not being able to choose between combat and utility. Since they are in separate categories.

And yeah as you said to rituals.

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
I am a little concerned 2, but I have trust in WotC.
I have heard that 'The Rouse' state that after first level you do not get anymore 'At Will' powers - which is think is 2.

I would have expect somewhere around 4 to be the max.
Something like 4/2/2 or something like that.

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
Perhaps we will have 2 'At Wills' (per silo) for Utility and Combat. Interesting thought.

Fallen Seraph said:
Well, we don't know exactly how many powers we get (atleast not sure we do) and also it is divided between combat and utility so there is less, "why can't I have one more spell slot" from not being able to choose between combat and utility. Since they are in separate categories.

And yeah as you said to rituals.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Cactot said:
While it would still be an upgrade for most melee classes, the caster classes are going to feel the pain if we are talking 6-10 total possible "spells" per day. Now i don't think they should have the same amount as they previously did (45+ at high level), but 15-20 seems like a good number for a reasonably high level character.

I agree. From what I've seen so far, I'm guessing that a 30th level character will have around 20 total powers (possibly more for some classes, counting things like cantrips). I could be wrong, of course. I just hope that it won't be anything less than that, or I will get very bored. The main reason I like playing Wizards is because I like having alot of options.

Gargazon

First Post
From what I understand, you only gain new encounter and daily powers as you level, and they are reasonably interspersed (so far we know you get a daily attack at levels 9 and 15, while you get an encounter attack at level 13) and you can gain more powers from feats. I imagine that these new powers will be useable in addition to the other Encounter and Daily attacks you have. At 30th level, I imagine you'll have an equal number of Encounter and Daily attacks, something in the region of 7+ of each (with some guesswork), unless you've skewed the balance with feat powers.

And add on top of that Utility spells, which appear to also come in Encounter or Daily flavours, and probably add another 8 to your spells known. So we'd have a nice estimate of 22 powers :)

All classes appear to be getting the exact same progression of when/what powers are gained. However, we don't know any of the class features (Wizards appear to be able to select more Daily powers, write them in their spellbook, then choose some for the day) so some classes may get to choose powers more flexibly than others.

And then you have rituals, which apparently anyone can use and fulfill all the non-combat spells without any of the combat-useful power slots being used.

What I think I'm trying to convey with this wall of text is that you shouldn't worry, by the looks of it your wizard will have over 20 spells, and so will everyone else. So... don't worry? :D

The Little Raven

First Post
Falling Icicle said:
I could be wrong, of course.

Rituals, which provide much of the non-combat abilities available to both Wizards and Clerics, and which will be unlimited in the amount a character can learn, so long as the DM allows it.

The Little Raven

First Post
Gargazon said:
And then you have rituals, which apparently anyone can use and fulfill all the non-combat spells without any of the combat-useful power slots being used.

People keep saying anyone can use rituals, and yet the D&D Experience wizard and cleric explicitly have Ritual Casting on their character sheets. Is there a source for this "anyone can cast Rituals" news that is more recent than the D&D Experience?

Gargazon

First Post
Mourn said:
People keep saying anyone can use rituals, and yet the D&D Experience wizard and cleric explicitly have Ritual Casting on their character sheets. Is there a source for this "anyone can cast Rituals" news that is more recent than the D&D Experience?

While I'm not sure about there being a source, I think it'll be like Trapfinding - some classes start off with it, but you can take a feat to learn to do it yourself.

Edit: Now there is a source for that. It's a Design & Development article, but I can't remember which. Possibly the Feats one.

The Little Raven

First Post
Gargazon said:
While I'm not sure about there being a source, I think it'll be like Trapfinding - some classes start off with it, but you can take a feat to learn to do it yourself.

Edit: Now there is a source for that. It's a Design & Development article, but I can't remember which. Possibly the Feats one.

Trapfinding was going to be a feat, but now it is part of being trained in the Thievery skill.

There was talk about rituals being available to anyone, months back, but the D&D Experience has shown that only some classes get them.

Remove ads