• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) One D&D Permanently Removes The Term 'Race'

In line with many other tabletop roleplaying games, such as Pathfinder or Level Up, One D&D is removing the term 'race'. Where Pathfinder uses 'Ancestry' and Level Up uses 'Heritage', One D&D will be using 'Species'. https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1393-moving-on-from-race-in-one-d-d In a blog post, WotC announced that "We have made the decision to move on from using the term "race"...

In line with many other tabletop roleplaying games, such as Pathfinder or Level Up, One D&D is removing the term 'race'. Where Pathfinder uses 'Ancestry' and Level Up uses 'Heritage', One D&D will be using 'Species'.

In a blog post, WotC announced that "We have made the decision to move on from using the term "race" everywhere in One D&D, and we do not intend to return to that term."

MGibster

Legend
So I am left with the question: who cares? Why are folks worked up about this? As long as we get away from accidentally offensive terms, then the actual choice doesn't matter.
That's what I was thinking before I saw your post. Who cares? Obviously everyone in this thread, including me, but is it going to change the game for any of us in a significant way? I doubt it.

MGibster

Legend
Language matters.

That's why some are working so hard to ridicule or minimize this. Because they know language matters.
Sure, language matters. I think what makes this hard for some people is that in many other contexts the word race isn't a problem. I use it professionally on a fairly regular basis. (I can't talk about Title VII of the Civil Rights Act without mentioning race.) I say many, but really, other than D&D, it doesn't appear to be a problem in any other context. So I really don't get the reason why a change is necessary, and admittedly, I find it kind of silly. Not that it's a hill I'm willing to die on. A rose by any other name.

Jahydin

Hero
Language matters.

That's why some are working so hard to ridicule or minimize this. Because they know language matters.
Some.

Most because they've been playing the game just fine for 30+ years and not ran into a single PoC who took issue with the term race.

Personally, I think WotC has been going down the wrong path completely. I mean really, what's the endgame here? Completely rewrite everything that's ever been made that just so happens to resemble a stupid stereotype that's not even true to begin with?

Equating fantasy races with real world ones is where the racism lies. It needs to die there.

Last edited:

Olrox17

Hero
I'm fairly sure most (if not all) gamers I know IRL will keep using the term race reflexively forever, just out of habit. But that's probably also because, in my non-english native language, race is no longer used to differentiate between human beings. There's only one race, the human race. Nowadays, the term race is only used for animals and plants, and "ethnicity" is used to describe human variety.

So, I guess that gamers of my nationality won't care much for this shifting of terms, which seems to be more of a big deal for native english speakers.

broghammerj

Explorer
My random thoughts:

The term race isn't inherently racist but I can see why some see it is problematic. There are a lot of things that could be viewed as problematic: dwarves, the evilness of dark/black elves, etc. Species is not less problematic. The term species is equally dangerous when observed through the lens of historical dealings on race. Eugenics comes to mind when I hear the term. The only benefit to species, is it is rooted in scientific definition/classification.

This change stinks of virtue signalling. It's a meaningless change that does nothing to improve society. It really won't effect the game much if at all either. I don't think it make it makes DnD "more inclusive". I've never encountered anyone who wouldn't play DnD due to it's racist undertones. DnD used to be game that brought together the losers, misfits, and the socially awkward (myself being defined by one if not all of those terms).

I also think species will be replaced with some other negative word in the future. This is the nature of language. Idiot, imbecile, moron, and mentally retarded were all clinical/medical terms. They weren't offensive until the term was used to insult others. When my grand-kids start teasing other kids and call them intellectually disabled, that term will become a thing of the past. I liken this to the story of the Buddha and the angry man. Similarly, being offended is on you, especially when no offense was intended. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lZnkzz0DoWo

This change stinks of virtue signalling. It's a meaningless change that does nothing to improve society.
I don't think you know what "virtue signalling" means. I mean, it's funny because you point out that species isn't much better, but you still claim this. Species is indeed not much better, but you seem to think WotC are too dumb to know that?

As for "improve society", what the hell? That's obviously not something a one-word change in D&D is going to do. Why would you even bring that up? That's like objecting to fluoridation of the water because it doesn't cure cancer. Nonsensical.

They've moving away from race not to "virtue signal", but because it's not a good descriptor (species ain't great but it is better), and because it gives them clear space away from real-world discussions of race. You don't have to like it, but from a business point of view it's clearly smart. You're trying to see it through a very peculiar lens though and seem to have missed that.
I've never encountered anyone who wouldn't play DnD due to it's racist undertones.
There are plenty of people who dislike D&D for that, especially younger ones. WotC is aware of this and is trying to avoid it becoming a major issue, though. It's called getting ahead of the problem.

What's actually astonishing is how long and well D&D has lasted despite being, essentially, about brutally murdering a bunch of often intellectually and physically inferior beings and taking their stuff (yikes lol). Honestly only sheer intertia and the fact that so very many games are about that are we still getting away with this, frankly. One day that may well not be true, but I think videogames will keep it going for long enough that TTRPGs will gradually transition away from killing goblins and the like.
DnD used to be game that brought together the losers, misfits, and the socially awkward (myself being defined by one if not all of those terms).
Except that's not really true. Especially as those people often includes kids who were losers/misfits precisely because they were racists or misogynists even beyond what was acceptable in society back then. And girls and minority kids were often rejected or mistreated by the same "losers" you're claiming the game "brought together".

Further, even by the extremely early 1990s, RPGs weren't appealing to the same "I see myself as an outcast" crowd as a lot of '80s D&D players were. I don't think anyone in my D&D groups in the 1990s was a loser or misfit in terms of school/society. These were straight-A kids and jocks and so on. Hell the biggest toughest most violent (only towards objects/walls, mostly, thankfully) jock in my school was in my group for a while.

I'm not even sure it was entirely true in the '80s but I leave it to people who were around then to comment on that.
When my grand-kids start teasing other kids and call them intellectually disabled, that term will become a thing of the past.
That will literally never happen because it's not a punchy insult, it's a clunky multisyllabic term that a lot of eight-year-olds would struggle to pronounce, let alone use as an offensive weapon! Whereas the other words you list are pretty ideal. And only one of them is actually socially unacceptable.

Remove ads

Remove ads