• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

One dozen new feats, woo!

Quip

First Post
Alright, I've got four new combat related feats, some new and revised wild feats of mine, and two feats that I posted long, long ago under a different user name. If anyone remembers them I'll be most surprised.

By the way I should have a website up within the week, so I wont have to spam the boards so often. :D

FULL-BODY STRIKE [GENERAL]
You make powerful unarmed strikes by putting your entire body into each blow.
Requirements: Improved Unarmed Strike, Power Attack, Str 15+, BAB 4+
Effect: You may deal unarmed damage as a creature one size catagory larger than normal, and such unarmed attacks are treated as two handed weapons in all ways.
Normal: Unarmed atacks are normally considered light weapons.
Note: Monks cannot use their Flurry of Blows ability with this feat.

CHUG [GENERAL]
You don't have a drinking problem, you're very good at it!
Requirements: Dex 13+
Benifit: You no longer recieve AoO's for drinking potions in combat.

TOWER SHIELD EXPERT [GENERAL]
You are more adept at fighting with a tower shield
Requirements: Tower Shield Proficiency, Str 13+
Benifit: You reduce the penalty to attack rolls while using a tower shield to -1.

TOWER SHIELD MASTER [GENERAL]
You are flawless at fighting with a tower shield
Requirements: Tower Shield Proficiency, Tower Shield Expert, Str 15+
Benifit: You suffer no penalty to attack rolls while using a tower shield.

AGILE FORM [WILD]
Your natural dexterity is conferred to your wildshape forms.
Requirements: Wildshape, Dex 15+
Benefit: Your wildshape forms recieve a +2 bonus to dexterity.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new form.

GREATER AGILE FORM [WILD]
Your extraordinary natural dexterity is conferred to your wildshape forms.
Requirements: Wildshape, Agile Form, Dex 17+
Benefit: Your wildshape forms recieve a +4 bonus to dexterity. This bonus does not stack with the bonus from the Agile Form feat.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new form.

POWERFUL FORM [WILD]
Requirements: Wildshape, Str 15+
Benefit: Your wildshape forms recieve a +2 bonus to strength.

GREATER POWERFUL FORM [WILD]
Your extraordinary natural strength is conferred to your wildshape forms.
Requirements: Wildshape, powerful Form, Str 17+
Benefit: Your wildshape forms recieve a +4 bonus to strength. This bonus does not stack with the bonus from the Powerful Form feat.

WILDSHAPE FOCUS [WILD]
You become more adept at fighting in a certain animal form.
Requirements: Wildshape, Druid level 6+
Benefit: Choose one form that you can wildshape into. You gain a +1 to AC and +1 to hit with natural attacks when in that form.

WILDSHAPE SPECIALIZATION [WILD]
You are masterful at combat in your chosen animal form.
Requirements: Wildshape, Wildshape Focus, Druid level 12+
Benefit: Choose one form for which you have already selected the Wildshape Focus feat. You gain DR 1/- and a +2 to damage with natural attacks when in that form.

ANALYTICAL PROCESS [GENERAL]
You use a logical approach where others rely on instinct.
Benefit: Choose one Wis based skill, you use your Int modifier instead of your Wis modifier for checks with that skill.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new skill.

INTUITIVE UNDERSTANDING [GENERAL]
You have a deep understanding of things normally dealt with by memory and logic alone.
Benefit: Choose one Int based skill, you use your Wis modifier instead of your Int modifier for checks with that skill.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new skill.

Last edited:

Phoenix

First Post
CHUG [GENERAL]

Really, why would anybody choose anything else? Awesome...

Li Shenron

Legend
Quip said:
FULL-BODY STRIKE [GENERAL]
You make powerful unarmed strikes by putting your entire body into each blow.
Requirements: Improved Unarmed Strike, Power Attack, Str 15+, BAB 4+
Effect: You may deal unarmed damage as a creature one size catagory larger than normal, and such unarmed attacks are treated as two handed weapons in all ways.
Normal: Unarmed atacks are normally considered light weapons.
Note: Monks cannot use their Flurry of Blows ability with this feat.

Nice and balanced. The fact that Power Attack is not a common feat for Monks since they don't have full BAB and the restriction to Flurry of Blows help in preventing every Monk to take it.

Quip said:
CHUG [GENERAL]

Innovative and useful :) . It can also add a bonus to Concentration checks to complete drinking (in the rare case that someone readies an attack against you as soon as you drink).

Quip said:
TOWER SHIELD EXPERT [GENERAL]
You are more adept at fighting with a tower shield
Requirements: Tower Shield Proficiency, Int 13+
Benifit: You reduce the penalty to attack rolls while using a tower shield to -1.

TOWER SHIELD MASTER [GENERAL]
You are flawless at fighting with a tower shield
Requirements: Tower Shield Proficiency, Tower Shield Expert, Int 15+
Benifit: You suffer no penalty to attack rolls while using a tower shield.

These 2 are very good ideas IMHO. They help a PC specialize in one tactic in the typical 3ed way of reducing penalties tied to the tactic. I wonder why I haven't seen anything published yet to help tower shield wielders.

My only doubt is about Int as requirements. I don't think that dumb fighters would have a difficult time in improving their use of tower shields, they are quite simple to use :) . What about strenght instead? The penalty is caused by the weight and bulkiness of the tower shield.

Quip said:
AGILE FORM [WILD]
Your natural dexterity is conferred to your wildshape forms.
Requirements: Wildshape, Dex 15+
Benefit: Your wildshape forms recieve a +2 bonus to dexterity.

GREATER AGILE FORM [WILD]
Your extraordinary natural dexterity is conferred to your wildshape forms.
Requirements: Wildshape, Agile Form, Dex 17+
Benefit: Your wildshape forms recieve a +4 bonus to dexterity. This bonus does not stack with the bonus from the Agile Form feat.

POWERFUL FORM [WILD]
Requirements: Wildshape, Str 15+
Benefit: Your wildshape forms recieve a +2 bonus to strength.

GREATER POWERFUL FORM [WILD]
Your extraordinary natural strength is conferred to your wildshape forms.
Requirements: Wildshape, powerful Form, Str 17+
Benefit: Your wildshape forms recieve a +4 bonus to strength. This bonus does not stack with the bonus from the Powerful Form feat.

Another good set of ideas! ;) You did the right thing by restricting the use to a single chosen form, so that the Druid may often choose these feats for her combat form, while others (scouting form, travelling form, sneaking form of whatever...) won't get the same, otherwise it would tend to be a must for all Druids.

Quip said:
WILDSHAPE FOCUS [WILD]
You become more adept at fighting in a certain animal form.
Requirements: Wildshape, Druid level 6+
Benefit: Choose one form that you can wildshape into. You gain a +1 to AC and +1 to hit with natural attacks when in that form.

WILDSHAPE SPECIALIZATION [WILD]
You are masterful at combat in your chosen animal form.
Requirements: Wildshape, Wildshape Focus, Druid level 12+
Benefit: Choose one form for which you have already selected the Wildshape Focus feat. You gain DR 1/- and a +1 to damage with natural attacks when in that form.

At first sight, these 2 seems VERY good. Are you sure the offensive bonus alone would be too little? +1 to hit with all natural attacks of a form and (maybe) +2 to damage - to keep the feat in line with Weapon Focus/Spec. - would be still good enough IMHO even without the defensive bonuses.

Quip said:
ANALYTICAL PROCESS [GENERAL]
You use a logical approach where others rely on instinct.
Benefit: Choose one Wis based skill, you use your Int modifier instead of your Wis modifier for checks with that skill.

INTUITIVE UNDERSTANDING [GENERAL]
You have a deep understanding of things normally dealt with by memory and logic alone.
Benefit: Choose one Int based skill, you use your Wis modifier instead of your Int modifier for checks with that skill.

Good idea, except that I would rather avoid some of the skills to be possible. For example Spot and Listen don't sound to me that they could use Int instead of Wis... just for the image of it. For other skills it makes sense perfectly: for example an anatomist may take AP(Heal) if she studied it for years but on books mostly, or someone could take IU(Search) if she has a sixth sense about hidden stuff (doesn't actually search well but rather intuits "this is a place where I would myself have hidden something...).
Overall it may work as a simple improvement of Skill Focus for a PC who has a wide difference Int/Wis and wants to use a skill based on her weak ability.

Darklone

I love Chug, but I think it's too strong :D

Kalamar PG update has Shapechange, essentially one feat that is pretty similar to your whole row of ability enhancing feats while shapechanging.

Anabstercorian

First Post
I did the Tower Shield feats a while ago, in a different form. They were essentially as they are now, except they had a Strength prerequisite which was slightly higher instead of the intelligence prerequisite and the second feat required a BAB +6.

Quip

First Post
Thanks, glad you like em. :)

Looks like Chug is the favorite, that one I actually made just on a whim. Those sudden ideas are often the the best ones, ne? If someone actually did think it were too strong (no kidding, I played in a campain that had potions of Heal floating around) it can be restricted to an AC bonus of +4 or something. A concentration bonus could be useful, but I've only ever seen that happen once (with one of those potions of heal, of course).

I made the full body strike with my Disciple of Might PrC in mind, you'll notice he suffers very little penalty for using it hehe.

I don't know what I was thinking with the tower shield feats, I'll give those a str prereq. Anabstercorian, if I had seen your feats I probably wouldn't have posted my version, sorry 'bout that. Thats what happens when you're offline for a month. :D

Where can I find the kalamar shapechange feat? Is it OGC? Becuase I'm all about simpler methods and such. I'd thought an all encompassing feat would be either to strong or too verbose. It would have been if I made it, anyways.

I was thinking about increasing the damage bonus for wildshape specialization already, I was thinking the DR was enough but its not as big of a deal as it used to be, huh. I guess I'll bump it up then.

I don't see the problem with using analytical process with spot or listen, just imagine they have a method of scanning with their eyes and analyzing the sounds they hear.

Oh, and somethings come up, so I won't be having that site up as soon as I'd hoped. Maybe next tuesday. Well, later!

Last edited:

bluto68

First Post
Call me a little crazy, but I think FULL-BODY STRIKE is a little rediculous. And would generally eliminate the want to get more levels in monk in order to gain the ability to get through damage resistance as every one of your attacks would begin doing obnoxious damage.

Regular 6th level monk would go from doing d6+6 (Full power - Average 9.5) to 2d6+10 (full power average 17) with one feat.

Doubling the damage a character can do with one feat, is a little overpowered.

And on the same note of game balance, Chug is an excellent feat.

The fact that you avoid attacks of opportunities for Drinking a potions is very fair if not underpowered. It doesn't protect you while your pulling out a potion and it doesn't protect you from moving while drinking a potion, it just allows you from not getting an AoO while drinking. I think another name of it could be "Bar Brawl Veteran".

In general, I'm not a big fan of the other feats. Seem just too powergamer friendly with little flavor.

Last edited:

rkanodia

First Post
Li Shenron said:
Good idea, except that I would rather avoid some of the skills to be possible. For example Spot and Listen don't sound to me that they could use Int instead of Wis... just for the image of it. For other skills it makes sense perfectly: for example an anatomist may take AP(Heal) if she studied it for years but on books mostly, or someone could take IU(Search) if she has a sixth sense about hidden stuff (doesn't actually search well but rather intuits "this is a place where I would myself have hidden something...).
Overall it may work as a simple improvement of Skill Focus for a PC who has a wide difference Int/Wis and wants to use a skill based on her weak ability.

I made a feat once, I think it was called Naturally Intuitive, which granted a +2 on Sense Motive checks and allowed the character to make Search checks as an elf. I thought of it after watching the movie Equilibrium; Christian Bale's character repeatedly locates hidden places just by walking past them and is described as being intuitively able to put himself in the position of the offender.

Last edited:

Remove ads