One Edition Monsters

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I believe that the giant iguana is in the old Red Box Basic set, and the iridescent ooze appears in 2e.
I've just checked, and I can't seem to find either of these. The Red Box details four giant lizards (geckos, dracos, horned chameleons and tuatara) but no iguanas that I can see. I also can't find a 2e iridescent ooze -- where did you spot that?

Hellzon

First Post
I remember seeing Dust Devils (summoned by a cleric spell) from an old issue of Dragon (issue number in the 60's I believe).

Geonids appeared in module X5 Temple of Death as boulder people who could retract their arms and legs into their shells and pretend to be boulders.

Surprised, I am not. I just listed the elementals from 4E, I almost figured the ones with non-compound names would be legacy stuff.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Surprised, I am not. I just listed the elementals from 4E, I almost figured the ones with non-compound names would be legacy stuff.

Not quite the same monster, though - BECMI Geonids were intelligent rock-people, while the 4E version seems to be a beast with a boulder for a shell.

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
Imp, Bog (Mystara Monstrous Compendium Appendix) [2e]

A bog imp shows up in Heroes of Horror for 3.5, IIRC; is it the same creature?

Imp, Wishing (Ravenloft Monstrous Compendium Appendix III: Creatures of Darkness) [2e]

Should be in the Ravenloft Dungeon Master's Guide for 3.0/3.5 (the book is sort of a crossbreed when it comes to editions) as an artifact or magic item. Don't have my copy available, though, so I can't check.

the Jester

Legend
I've just checked, and I can't seem to find either of these. The Red Box details four giant lizards (geckos, dracos, horned chameleons and tuatara) but no iguanas that I can see. I also can't find a 2e iridescent ooze -- where did you spot that?

Hmm, maybe the giant iguana was in a module or something, but I swear that I've seen it before.

The iridescent ooze is in one of the MC Annual softbacks that came out near the end of 2e; I have it, but I couldn't tell you off hand which one it is in.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
A bog imp shows up in Heroes of Horror for 3.5, IIRC; is it the same creature?
I suspect they were developed completely independently, but they are quite similar, both being, well, imps that live in bogs and try to drown people.

Should be in the Ravenloft Dungeon Master's Guide for 3.0/3.5 (the book is sort of a crossbreed when it comes to editions) as an artifact or magic item. Don't have my copy available, though, so I can't check.
Well spotted. You are quite correct, the wishing imp is an artifact in 3e and appear on page 234 of the Ravenloft DMG.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Hmm, maybe the giant iguana was in a module or something, but I swear that I've seen it before.

The iridescent ooze is in one of the MC Annual softbacks that came out near the end of 2e; I have it, but I couldn't tell you off hand which one it is in.

I just checked the indexes in the third and fourth MC Annuals and neither of them list it.

The Jester, are you sure you aren't perhaps remembering the iridescent plecoe, which is a subterranean fish from Ruins of Undermountain II that was reprinted in MCA2?

(Aside: As far as I can tell there have only ever been four "iridescent" creatures in D&D: the ooze, the plecoe, the iridescent serpent from Complete Psionic and the iridescent naga from Serpent Kingdoms. Oddly enough, they all appear to be 'one edition' creatures.)

Remove ads