• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

One FRPG besides D&D

johnsemlak

First Post
Dragongirl said:
None, only D&D

I second that. Only D&D.

I've been meaning to look at GURPS, but never do. I think in the end I'd only steal useful ideas from other games and use them in D&D.

I did sit on a Tunnels and Trolls session once about 20 years ago.

Capellan

Explorer
If I absolutely, positively, had to pick just one, it'd be Dragon Warriors.

That said, there are many more that I like. Chivalry & Sorcery, Maelstrom (which is not the same thing as Maelstrom Storytelling, though I also have that), 7th Sea, Castle Falkenstein, Advanced Fighting Fantasy (the edition that started with "Dungeoneer"), Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, Pendragon ... the list goes on and on, and I haven't even started swapping genres, yet :)

Gallowglass

First Post
Runequest II, or one of it's later descendants (Elric!, Stormbringer 5e), but with liberal borrowings from most of the BRP games.

Let's be honest, I only play / run D&D 3e because it's what the wednesday crowd insist on playing...

Tsyr

Explorer
Geeeeeeh. Sooooooo many to choose from. Exalted, Pendragon, Riddle of Steel, L5R, Hackmaster, Earthdawn, Harn...

Hmmm...

Probably Exalted.

If that doesn't count because it's not "traditional" fantasy...

Then Hackmaster.

If that doesn't count because it's basicly DnD renamed...

Then L5R.

If THAT doesn't count because it's not "Traditional" fantasy...

Then Pendragon.

I love Riddle of Steel, but I wouldn't want that to be my only option... it's too lethal to use for everything.

Drakmar

Explorer
hmm.. for me it would also be Rolemaster.... with all of my special little house rules that if I could I would use in D&D..but because of the scale of D&D's skills...I can't.

I love Rolemaster.. but I just can't be bothered teaching anybody else how to play it anymore. D&D is just plain easier.

Gallowglass

First Post
Capellan said:
If I absolutely, positively, had to pick just one, it'd be Dragon Warriors.

That said, there are many more that I like. Chivalry & Sorcery, Maelstrom (which is not the same thing as Maelstrom Storytelling, though I also have that), 7th Sea, Castle Falkenstein, Advanced Fighting Fantasy (the edition that started with "Dungeoneer"), Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, Pendragon ... the list goes on and on, and I haven't even started swapping genres, yet :)

Ahh, Dragon Warriors. Fabuluous little game. If ever there was a game (anda game designer) who deserved greater recognition it's Dragon Warriors and Dave Morris. I still hope that somehow it will get re-issued, either as a one volume "nostalgia" kick or as a d20 Setting, although I know Dave is (intermittantly) working on a DW2 game using Legend...

Back at the thread, part of my attachment to BRP is that it will do ANY genre reasonably well, and it was the first such system I was familiar with (TFT did'nt impress me and it's mutation into GURPS just confirmed my dislike of the 3d6 core mechanic)... and I still find it more flexible and easilyadaptable to varied settings than most...

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Dragon Warriors. I didn't mind the system, it holds good memories, and I built a pretty extensive homebrew system around it when I was living out bush for a few years and had no access to anything else.

Course, said homebrew was put together by an eleven-year old, so I'd probably have to revive it now.

Why is it always Austrlians who remember DW? And Brisbanites, it always seems to be the Brisbanites...

ConcreteBuddha

First Post
Either a Vampire the Dark Ages game with no vampires, set in a fantasy world where heroes can learn the disciplines.

Or Earthdawn. I loved the way they did magic items.

Or MERPS. Though it kinda sucked to break a leg after failing a MM.

Okay, maybe not MERPS...

Roderick

First Post
Without 3E? I`d probably playing Midgard, a german FRPG with similar game mechanisms as in 3E.

I left it for 3E, because the character management requires quite a lot bookkeeping, the 3E multiclassing is much more flexible, and some things were needlessly complicated. The formulas for initiating a grapple attempt or riding over an opponent always gave me severe math class flashbacks.

But other than this, it`s a fine system.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads