• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

one hit kills, unsatisfying?

fba827

Adventurer
As a random thought, does the simplicity of minions (or any one-hit kill enemies) rob the player's sense of accomplishment when he/she kills one?

As a DM, I have to say that I love them (minions). I don't have to track HP and I can just tally mark them off my scrap sheet of battle notes.

On the flip side, as a DM, I get a little annoyed when a PC's secondary damage (like from a cleave that does a couple points of damage to an adjacent enemy) is enough to kill one when the primary enemy target took 20+ damage.

From a player perspective, sometimes I can get in to it and do an internal "yay" every time I kill/incapacitate one. Other times it is a "yes, it was a minion, but let's get to the important enemies!"

And whether I am a player or DM, sometimes I look over at the faces of other players when they kill a minion it's that "no big deal, just a minion" expression. Or, in our after game discussions, the people that killed dozens of minions (while everyone else held back a big guy) will say something like "yeah, I felt completely useless in that fight" (even though they killed the most, just not the one big bad guy).

As a DM I am not sure I want to give up the "tally" simplicity of minions for tracking more hp of several enemies in the encounter mix. But, also, I am not keen on the "any amount of splash damage is enough to kill it" aspect either.

I mentally toyed with a couple ideas:
* a minion has extra hp equal to it's level. This would mean that the DM has to track hp but it gets rid of the splash damage issue. Default rule of no damage on a miss still applies
*a 1 hp minion has a 1/4 chance to stay alive after taking damage. The DM still wouldn't need to track hp (just roll a d4 after every hit). This would also vary the staying power of the minion adding to a sense of accomplishment for the kill. Default rule of no damage on a miss still applies. Or maybe it's a 1 in 2 or 1 in 3 chance, whatever.. just was throwing out a number.
* the second time a minion takes damage, he dies (regardless of amount of damage taken); default rule about no damage on a miss applies. But this means the DM has to keep track of how many times he's been hit.
* any single attack that deals damage equal to one-half its level is enough to kill it. No tracking involved. But this could be trouble for the controllers in the group since they have the lowest damage output (comparatively).

This isn't meant as a possible house-rules discussion, just showing related thoughts so you could see what I was getting at. Will I actually get around to implementing any of this as a house rule? Doubtful. But it did get me thinking about minions, simplicity vs sense of accomplishment.

So, back to the original premise of this post. How unsatisfying do you (as a player or DM) find a minion kill?

As a random thought, does the simplicity of minions (or any one-hit kill enemies) rob the player's sense of accomplishment when he/she kills one?
If he's using "Brute Strike" to kill a Minion, yes.
If he's using Scorching Burst to kill a Minion, no.

Any opponent dropping dead in an encounter gives a feeling of progress and accomplishment. A Minion not the same as a Elite, but as an exchange, you get it 8 times as often! Which can be very important.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My $0.02? It feels cheap to me.

In earlier editions, all except the most paper-thin foes had at least 2 HP...meaning that you had to at least beat a roll of 1 on your damage dice (depending, of course, on your method of attack and your modifiers).

The Hit = autokill of minions just leaves me cold.

Edit: let me expand a bit:

As a wargamer and DM, I have always lived by the adage "Minions hurt." A flimsy target with a powerful punch is just as dangerous as anything on the battlefield. The Minions of 4Ed, though, are just too flimsy.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Most of the times it is fine. It's not like the minion is the only foe or even the focus of the combat. They are extras and it can be fun to one hit kill them on the way to the real threat.

Kyrail

First Post
If the death of a minion seems flat to you it could be a couple of things.

Either you're not being cinematic enough with your DMing and a minion killed by a cleava is really just "20 damage to the target and you kill a minion", or you're not using enough of them. Minions are speed bumps to the DM, but much more importantly they're a cinematic tool to reinforce the heroness of the PCs.

If you cleave two normal monsters, you hit one and nick the other. If you kill a monster and a minion, you're hacking through the monster and cleaving another monster in half. It also reinforces how strong the main monster is.

I find 4E's description of a "balanced" fight to have no idea what a fun fight is.

I don't even factor minions XP into the challenge of a fight (though I give it to the PCs of course), I just add as many as I feel like after already making the main baddies.

It's not like anyone dies in the 4th edition anyway so who cares. :p

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I don't minion deaths unsatisfying, as either a player or DM.

The simple reason being, their deaths/combat isn't really meant to be the focus of one's satisfaction in a encounter. Their a side-dish or a spice for a main course to use the old-fashioned food analogy.

Lets take this for example; the PCs are running along the rooftops of a city being chased by some various group of enemies. Along the way various minions pop up to block their paths but are easily pushed aside by the fighter's sword or picked off by the ranger's bow.

The death of those minions isn't the excitement or satisfaction, they simply add tension and flare to the scene. The satisfaction is in the chase and eventual escape/showdown (depending on how well they do).

Or another one where while minions come into the focus more, could be a rogue sneaking around and eliminating guards. The guards have become minions thanks to the rogue being able to perform clever means of stealth and success in his stealth rolls, etc. the guards being minions is simply a means to give it that final layer of satisfaction/completion and feeling of accomplishment.

So basically, I guess what I am saying it doesn't for my group and myself because ultimately we don't fight minions to fight minions. They are there for other purposes.

op1983

First Post
Hit points do not mean how much damage a character can take.

Once you are comfortable with that the rest is a cinch.

When I am DMing and a monster is reduced to 0 I dont automatically say ok you killed the badguy cut off his head. It could be that they disarmed the dude and he took off running or he broke an arm a leg a rib something like that and is otherwise unable to fight.

Minions are all the guys you see in the movies that get taken out with a single sword stroke or a kick to the chest.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Minions are all the guys you see in the movies that get taken out with a single sword stroke or a kick to the chest.

Minions are also the guys who occasionally take more than one strike to get past.

Classic minon battle- Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon, as he's going around the underground base. Yes, most of the guards take 1 shot and go down...but not all. Some actually get the drum-solo treatment from Mr. Lee before he gets past them.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Classic minon battle- Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon, as he's going around the underground base. Yes, most of the guards take 1 shot and go down...but not all. Some actually get the drum-solo treatment from Mr. Lee before he gets past them.
Actually after watching lately some martial arts films it got me thinking on a new way of doing minions.

In lots of the films, the protagonist will be knocking foes left right and centre. But usually two, three at a time despite there being lots around them. This is usually because those other ones had just got hit and are lying on the ground in pain till they recover and join the fight again.

So a bunch of minions (in XP amounts) is actually a fewer amount of guys. It is just they keep getting knocked away and coming back later after recovering.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads