D&D General One of my favorite RP moments ever last night

the Jester

Legend
All right, so I have to set this up a little bit. So one of the groups I run is in the middle of doing a series of quests for the King of Birds- basically, the Animal Lord of birds. It manifests through other birds, speaking through their mouths, etc. This quest has involved a number of very weird, very cool tasks that required unorthodox solutions and out of the box thinking; to wit-

The first task was to heal the broken heart of a kocho (basically a flightless riding bird).
The second task was to raise a baby roc to adulthood.
The third task was to judge which of two stunning birds of paradise was the prettiest bird of paradise in the world.
The fourth task was to save a group of storm petrels from an algae bloom that was poisoning their food and making them sick.

Finally, the pcs received their final task: to prevent the extinction of the birds on the island of Bal-Ramos, and here we have a more conventional challenge. After some investigation, much of it relying on the totem barbarian's ability to cast speak with animals as a ritual, they learned that the threat was a bunch of cats (well, kill kittens, but you know). While discussing how to ensure that the party got all the cats, one of the birds mentioned that the cats all tend to return to this ruin at night and yowl at each other.

And here's my moment, folks- one of the most hilarious rp moments I have ever delivered.

The bird said, "They make a lot of noise at night, you know, cat noise. Like this: twerp twerp!"

It was a bird trying to meow like a cat, but because it was a bird... get it? It was- it was- maybe you had to be there, but trust me, it really was.

aco175

Legend
Last night my son finally got to use a PC ability he only used once or twice. He has a henchman that is a mob of orcs that chose to follow the group to kill the giants. They have an ability called bloodbath that allows them to enter a creatures space and deal a lot of damage with a Dex save for half, but only on medium and smaller targets. Hardly comes up in Against the Giants. The PCs finally meet a group of hobgoblins that were supposed to be gnolls in the fire giant hall and a fight breaks pout. My son's main PC wants to pick up one of the hobgoblins and swap places with him to get 4 hobgoblins in a square so the horde of orcs can circle all 4 of them.

I was not sure how to run it, but decided on opposed Athletics checks and a AOO from one being left behind when they others swapped places. It ended up working and the horde came over like Pac Man and tore all 4 of the hobgoblins up. It was more satisfying for him to see the power work on 4 monsters instead of the one or two he had a chance on before.

Remove ads