• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

One of my PCs is wearing a Lich's phylactery!

fnork de sporg

First Post
Tsillanabor said:
True-depends upon the DM.

The paladin's might not know who the PCs are. If they know what the phylatery looks like, have been searching for it for centuries, and then see one of the PCs wearing it around they might easily assume that the PCs are the Lich's minions.

Or a non-good enemy of the lich might want to capture the phylactery to blackmail the lich in to doing their bidding. In this case it would be in their best interests not to let the PC know what it is they are carrying.

This could lead to the lich, or more probably his forces in disguise, coming to their rescue. And then becoming their allies.

If you were really evil you might offer to enchant the phylactery with powerful enhancements. Few adventurer's going to break their unreplaceable incredibly useful artifact just because someone says it's evil.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
It'd be sort of fun to have several groups of the lich's enemies fighting over the PCs. A group of elite paladins, a party of venerable adventurers that knew the lich when he was alive, some fiends that are attracted by the possiblity of getting a lich under their thumbnails, etc. The lich ought to have some minions fighting to get it back as well, and maybe even some powerful allies.

All this overt, seizing and attacking going on... What ever happened to the subtle, "Psst! Hey, how much for that shiny gold pendant?", pay the gold and then steal it back later route? As a card carrying member of the rogue league, I would like to point out that intrigue is in fact not dead. :)

A lich should be much more intelligent than to use the old "snatch and grab" or the "buff and fluff".

librarius_arcana

First Post
Well I take it we're talking bad lich here right?

I would make Mr lichie vist mr victims/player dreams when he sleeps, sort of foreshadowing things to come, or to give him messages that are at first helpfull, then once the players trust is gained slowly turn towards the lich's evil use and gain, (needless to say but you don't let the player know it's Mr lichie pulling the strings, well not until it's way to late that is)

librarius_arcana

First Post
The lich lord leaned slowly forward in his throne, resting his right elbow on his lap, pausing in motion for only a moment, he then slowly raises his boney right hand in your direction "Kill him"
he says in a way that makes you think he could taste the words,

The hoard of undead moved forward to fall upon the comanded prey

you frown and raise a hand in a "wait" gesture

"Okay....Right.....So let me get this straight, You "DON'T" want to order from our fine range of tupperware?, after loosing your last phylactery that looked like a necklace?"

The lich lords head tills to one side and lets out a "hisss" through his thin leathery lips

"Okay then.....so.... it's just the bulk order of moisturizer then?"

it's only then the DM asks you for a Sense Motive roll :)

Last edited:

Endur

First Post
The Monster Manual leaves the rules about the Lich's new body vague so the GM can decide what happens.

Personally, here is how I interpret it. The Lich's phylactery is very similar to the original Magic Jar spell (not the watered down Magic Jar version we have in 3.5e). So, looking at the similarities with magic jar, I would rule that the Lich can either attempt to possess a conscious creature or possess a slain body/inanimate creature. If the Lich possesses a slain body, then over time that body becomes the Lich. If the Lich possesses a conscious body, then I would follow the magic jar rules for possession.

The magic jar rules, of course, give the victim an excellent chance of resisting the Lich through making a saving throw or otherwise getting far enough away from the phylactery.

Thanee

First Post
I also think, that the Lich's consciousness reforms in the phylactery and the Lich can then take over a new body from there, however, I would not give the Lich the ability to possess living beings, but only corpses rather. That would be a bit much otherwise, and there is no hint for them being able to take over living beings.

Basically the Lich has to wait until a fitting corpse comes into range (probably just use the Magic Jar range here, I don't think there are any ranges given), and can then transfer the consciousness into the new body.

Could be that Dracolich's have some more detailed rules about this (IIRC).

Bye
Thanee

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads