D&D 5E One Shot #3: Lady of the Mist

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Avenia
Dusk
Round 0

Ivar requested a nice mushroom ale, but they had never heard of the Underdark drink, so he had to settle for the barely palatable ale they served on the surface. At least it was dwarven, so not just straight piss.

The duergar nursed his drink as he listened to Nidar’s tale. Interesting. A ghost, and a stone curse. And secrets. Nothing that said what their quarry was after, however.

“If we want Escandor, we’ll need t’ gae oot there, then, it seems,” he said. “Even if we ‘ave t’ lug ‘is stone statue back.”

[sblock=Actions]
Move:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
Inspiration:
AC: 14
HP: 15/15 HD: 1/1d12+3
Rage: 2/2/LR
[/sblock]

[sblock=Notes]
[/sblock]

Greenmtn

Explorer
Bilkar Gnome Druid

Bilkar enters the building and stands a little uncomfortably, looking around as he listens to the stories of ghosts.

EarlyBird

Explorer
Asa gives Bilkar a warm smile and nods to the table where the others have gathered. She brings the gnome a wooden cup of milk with a glob of honey in the bottom.

"Your after Althon Escandor!?" Hakon exclaims, then leans like he's about to spit, but gets an arched eyebrow from Asa and thinks better of it. "That man deserves what he gets, and I hope the lady turns him to stone slowly, an the blood hawks take his eyes."

OOC: To move things along a little

"What do you have against the man?" Ryder asks casually.

Hakon huffs a bit and puts up his work. "That man has taxed all of us near to being penniless. And when I tried to sell my wares in Thirsk, his bureaucrats said I needed a writ to set up any sort of tent or stand. And then tried to charge me a thousand gold in fees. BAH! Even if I sold everything I had carved and then carved another load I wouldn't have been able to sell them for half of that! Then his secret police followed me for a day and a half to make sure I didn't sell anything with the proper papers." He looks disgusted, but you all have had your share of troubles with Althon, and the story sounds familiar to yours.

Nidar adds, "There is no one for miles who would protect or shelter Althon, and no reason for him to go to the Lady's isle that I can think of. What about you Hakon?"

The other man shakes his head, "No. Only if he has a death wish. Speaking of which," he adds looking the group over. "You all look determined to go after him and possible get yourselves killed." He reaches down under his bench and pulls out a long thin coffer. "I'll trade you these for anything magical you might have for trade." The box contains five slots (two are empty), and the other three each hold a potion vial of a different color.

Nidar snaps his fingers and gets up. "Be right back," he says hurrying into a side room.

Such a strange request, thinks Lee. Who trades in magic items like this? She probably stares shocked if anyone she was traveling with looks ready to trade with the villager.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Mister Bubbles looks over the potions, but declines politely.

"Sadly I have nothing of any value to offer in trade," he says with a smile before turning his attention back to Nidar.

"So you are certain Althon Escandor came through here?"

Greenmtn

Explorer
Bilkar Gnome Druid

Bilkar timidly accepts and tastes the milk, smiling brightly at Asa once he accepts the gift.

"People Thirsk say Althon steal secrets. Trade for money to enemies for war. War bad, Bilkar know this. Bilkar stop Althon. No war."

When the other man produces the vials Bilkar hastily removes a metal helmet from his bag. Almost too eagerly presenting it for trade with no questions asked.

"Man take scary helm. Bilkar take vials.

JustinCase

With an incredulous expression, Mister Bubbles looks at Bilkar.

"Why do you own a helmet?"

The half-orc is surprised by his own feelings. Why would the strange gnome not carry such a thing? Perhaps it's the idea that someone who wants to be a squirrel, has an item that is very... unsquirrelly.

"Looks like a fine helmet to me. Don't you want to keep it?"

Greenmtn

Explorer
Bilkar Gnome Druid

"Bilkar not keep helmet. Mister Bubble want helmet. Mister Bubbles take helmet." Bilkar answers very quickly before looking down at the outstretched hand holding the metal helmet. His expression going from one of almost desperation, to one of disappointment.
"Bilkar in dangerous place. Bilkar scared. Grab helmet and run. Rest of pack not want. Bilkar not want... Bilkar try on Helmet. Helmet SCARY. Gods tell Bilkar. Bilkar. Squirrels not have metal Skin."

He looks up and smiles as if he is on the receiving end of a joke from a friend. "Gods right."

JustinCase

”I’ll take the helmet,” Mister Bubbles replies softly. ”But I’ve got nothing to offer in return but my gratitude, and sadly you cannot buy those potions with it.”

The half-orc smiles at Bilkar sincerely, then he worriedly looks at the helmet.

”Why is it scary?”

Greenmtn

Explorer
Bilkar Gnome Druid

Bilkar sets the helmet down on the table and shakes his head. "Scary. Mister Bubbles see."

Then ignoring the question, or maybe just loosing his train of focus. Bilkar digs into his bag again producing 2 rolled up parchments. Lifting one then the other. "Stops hurting. Magic rocks. Scary Helmet." He timidly nods at the helmet, then motions to the vials with a "whatcha got" look on his face.

Remove ads