• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

One-Shot For New Players?

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
What modules would you recommend to run as a one-shot for people who haven't played D&D before?

I love Keep on the Borderlands, but that's meant to be experienced over multiple sessions. I'm looking for a honed, focused, 1 to 4 hour experience. Any favorites?

Last edited:

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
It shouldn't necessarily be a 1st level module. You want the experience to portray what D&D is like most, so picking a level players will spend a lot of time at is better. I would recommend level 7 or 8 for this. The subject matter, or plot, of the module should be quintessential if possible. You need to ask yourself what is your personal favorite, though, and show this to the players. Don't pick a module you aren't familiar with, because that will affect their experience too.

Quickleaf

Legend
If I was running a one-shot for new players I would run Basic (or something close to it) with the Rules Cyclopedia & pregen PCs of 3rd level or so. Personally I'd go with an abbreviated version of L2 The Assassin's Knot because it has a built in time pressure, clear DM guidelines, tightly follows its theme, and has good puzzles for new players.

Last edited:

Remove ads