One Shots - Discussions

tglassy

Adventurer
Forgotten Realms has some firearms, or at least the possibility, but it's strictly gnomish and most people think anyone who has anything to do with exploding powder is nuts. And they're usually right, gnomes are crazy.

I don't mind it being there if it's kept scarce.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

EarlyBird

Explorer
Well sounds good for RPing and that is a plus in my book.

Also I think with the cost it may help things be scarce enough. But I also like the ideal of having an adventure were everyone is a gun toting musketeer.

Let The Bravos Begin!

EarlyBird

Explorer
Does anyone know if D&D Expeditions would be allowed for pbp? I just learned of them and they would be perfect one shots to get some characters leveled up. (Tallow's Deep lvl 5)

And there are so many of them.

Anyone want to run one? First are you allowed to in a non-Adventure League format?

All help appreciated, thanks.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Does anyone know if D&D Expeditions would be allowed for pbp? I just learned of them and they would be perfect one shots to get some characters leveled up. (Tallow's Deep lvl 5)

And there are so many of them.

Anyone want to run one? First are you allowed to in a non-Adventure League format?

All help appreciated, thanks.
Of course you can run them. That's what they are there for. Just don't advertise them as AL legal and you're golden.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

EarlyBird

Explorer
Awesome. With those added to the couple dozen dungeon magazines I have, there is enough fodder for years of play.

The best part is no conversion needed.

I don't understand the point of the restricted categories at all.

it gets away from what I think is your goal, just making sure that you don't end up with the same person always playing the meatshield, skill-monkey, caster, etc.

But what if the play likes playing the same role over and over? Why restrict the character choices at all?

My theory is, the more players like their characters, the more they will be stick around and actually play. PbP stories have an annoying habit of going days without a post because only one or two players are carrying the action.

Finally, how will you be handling magic items at higher levels? Sure, there is treasure in all of those one shots. But is that treasure conducive to this style of play? I certainly doubt it is balanced for 5e.

Unrelated:
Mystic and Artificer are close to ready, but won't be in Xanathar's. They will be released on DMs Guild prior to being placed in a book.
Seriously? That's disappointing.

EarlyBird

Explorer
I don't understand the point of the restricted categories at all.

Mainly so there will be a balance of warriors, wizards, and rogues available for adventures, should there be more than one or two going at once.

But what if the play likes playing the same role over and over? Why restrict the character choices at all?

My theory is, the more players like their characters, the more they will be stick around and actually play. PbP stories have an annoying habit of going days without a post because only one or two players are carrying the action.

If a player has a favorite role they always play (caster, archer, etc.) I think they have plenty of options in the groups to get a couple characters (if not all with archetypes and such). Take meat-shield: you can play A:Fighter, B:paladin, C:Druid, D:Barbarian and not have to much trouble being a heavy damage taking/dealing machine.

Guess what I wanted was for people to take the limitations and then use there imaginations to work around it to get four characters they would enjoy.

Finally, how will you be handling magic items at higher levels? Sure, there is treasure in all of those one shots. But is that treasure conducive to this style of play? I certainly doubt it is balanced for 5e.

That is why this discussion thread is here. I haven't thought to hard about it do to the low level start. I guess as a group we need to find a fair way to make sure everyone ends up with around the same amount of treasure. Thoughts anybody?

I was going to say we might need to sacrifice a little realism for the sake of fairness and fun.

Thanks for the feedback I hope you make at least one character and join in on the fun.

Remove ads