• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E One Word Theme Game

Zardnaar

Legend
Ok I'm going to play a word association game.

IRL of course you would get more clarification but this might give you a rough idea.

Basically what do you expect if you were signing up to a game?

I'll throw out a theme and depending on how the thread goes I'll throw out another one.

Pretend you might be interested in signing up for said them what would you expect in the game and what classes and races allowed.

My first theme is Vikings.

What would you expect. If you feel like it pitch me a quick idea and I'll yay or nay it.

MarkB

Legend
The last viking-themed campaign I played in was strictly dwarves only, which made for an interesting party. Fortunately, the DM allowed me to use the Mark of Warding racial variant from Eberron, and I built an artificer themed as a master brewer who kept the crew well supplied with mead.

I'd expect to see some class and race restrictions in such a campaign, but couldn't guess their precise nature just from one word. It might be skewed purely historical, so humans only and no magic-using classes, or it might skew heavily into Norse mythology, allowing a wider range of races and classes.

Bawylie

A very OK person
Small group of raiders runs ashore on a frozen island (Greenland analog) with the remnants of a fishing village. It’s undead survival horror versus 30 Vikings. Survive the winter and build a ship to launch again. Rescue survivors. Confront a dormant evil.

Zardnaar

Legend
Small group of raiders runs ashore on a frozen island (Greenland analog) with the remnants of a fishing village. It’s undead survival horror versus 30 Vikings. Survive the winter and build a ship to launch again. Rescue survivors. Confront a dormant evil.

Another good idea.

Zardnaar

Legend
The last viking-themed campaign I played in was strictly dwarves only, which made for an interesting party. Fortunately, the DM allowed me to use the Mark of Warding racial variant from Eberron, and I built an artificer themed as a master brewer who kept the crew well supplied with mead.

I'd expect to see some class and race restrictions in such a campaign, but couldn't guess their precise nature just from one word. It might be skewed purely historical, so humans only and no magic-using classes, or it might skew heavily into Norse mythology, allowing a wider range of races and classes.

Personally I would lean a bit more into norse mythology and humans or human blooded races.

Dwarves are fine.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
One take but fair enough. Good take.
It’s broad enough to do lots with - You can range from historic human only adventure to Norse mythic. The settings also broad To do a sandbox from from the Icy Fjords of Scandinavia to the green pastures of Britain, to the strange Encounters between Skraeling and Kavdlunak, to the River trade of the Varangians leading raids against Constantinople.

Personally id keep It low magic-as-superstition but allow for rare dark dwarf, rarer Jotnar and Alfr as NPC only.

Zardnaar

Legend
It’s broad enough to do lots with - You can range from historic human only adventure to Norse mythic. The settings also broad To do a sandbox from from the Icy Fjords of Scandinavia to the green pastures of Britain, to the strange Encounters between Skraeling and Kavdlunak, to the River trade of the Varangians leading raids against Constantinople.

Personally id keep It low magic-as-superstition but allow for rare dark dwarf, rarer Jotnar and Alfr as NPC only.

Midgard has fantasy Viking. Rumors of Ragnarok etc.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads