• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Online Original D&D Adventure Conversions

Rokonin

First Post
By way of my uncle, I've inherited a lot of the old original Dungeons and Dragons adventures. As it's the beginning of summer, I have more time (school's out), and I figured I'd put it to good use. Here's my whole collection:

B1-B10
M1-M2 (Solo adventures)
X1-X9
X11-X13
XS2
XL-1
DA2-DA4
CM1-CM9
M1-M5

Now, I know many people have done conversions of these adventures and such, but I was wondering if there would be any interest in an online collection of these adventures converted to 3.5. Has this been done before? Is this even legal?

Last edited:

Samothdm

First Post
I'd like to see the conversions online. IANAL but I believe that you are allowed to legally convert the "game mechanics" but not post the story elements.

For example, you could post an NPC stat block for the NPC on Page 9 or whatever, but not the background details of said NPC. Same with magic items, etc.

Sanackranib

First Post
Samothdm said:
I'd like to see the conversions online. IANAL but I believe that you are allowed to legally convert the "game mechanics" but not post the story elements.

For example, you could post an NPC stat block for the NPC on Page 9 or whatever, but not the background details of said NPC. Same with magic items, etc.

hmmmm . . . most of that stuff has been out of print for a lot longer then 7 years so the copywrite issues shouldnt really be a problem. those are after all the old basic set modules. as long as you dont try to profit from the conversion you should be ok. . . befor my computer crash I had converted B11 and B12. not for anything but my own use as a DM mind you.what I found to be the biggest problems were the whole 3e version of chalange ratings and how to keep ALL of the denizens from "rushing out at once". since most of us old gamers have those old modules then you could skip the background issues and do a simple conversion. I for one would love to see that because even something that simple takes a lot of time to do - time that RL also make demands of on me.

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
Sanackranib said:
hmmmm . . . most of that stuff has been out of print for a lot longer then 7 years so the copywrite issues shouldnt really be a problem. those are after all the old basic set modules. as long as you dont try to profit from the conversion you should be ok. . .
Actually, copyright is precisely the problem with posting conversions of old TSR material (WOTC owns the copyright to all of it, you see). I gather samothdm is essentially correct. To read the WOTC guidelines for legally Web-publishing module conversions, follow the "Electronic SKU Download (ESD) Conversion Agreement" link in the first post of this thread:

http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33037

...what I found to be the biggest problems were the whole 3e version of chalange ratings and how to keep ALL of the denizens from "rushing out at once"....
Yeah, Challenge Ratings (that end up varying wildly from encounter to encounter in a "straight" (approved) conversion) are the biggest problems I see in most module conversions.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads