• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Online RPG Tools and Programs?

ayrwind

First Post
Hi all, this topic has probably been discussed before, but perhaps with the passage of time, more people have played RPGs online and have more experience to share.

Real life and part of growing up meant that my gaming group are now riddled with concerns like marriage and children and work that well tends to take away time for gaming. Hence, time to meet up and sit down for a good session of gaming becomes a luxury.

However, playing online is a good alternative for us to meet and play. It is a compromise, but it beats not gaming at all, and losing the passion and touch for RPGs.

So, do you guys have good experiences for playing RPGs like D&D on the internet? I was thinking of just using chat programs like MSN Messenger, but perhaps u guys know of other ways to conduct an RPG session using the internet?

Perhaps some of you can share some advice for me in this. Thanks!

Zepherus Bane

First Post
I've tried playing over the internet using chat programs but I found it to not work for me. It just was not the same as in person. I too have a hard time finding time to play due to kids and work so I know where you're coming from.

You might think about using some software that allows voice over IP along with the chat software, being able to talk directly might make it possible. Many of the standard chat apps allow voice too. Of course if you or others in your group don't have fast internet connections this might not be of use to you.

I tried playing with RPG Host and it was ok but nothing like the real thing. When the site went pay-for-play, I stopped using it.

A couple problems: it takes a LOT longer to type up what your character is doing than just saying it. And for the DM, the work is multiplied by the number of players that must be responded to. Sometimes players will just wander off and you can't tell if they're there or not; and sometimes they're doing other things like surfing the net or watching TV so you end up repeating yourself a lot.

If you already have a group, you're in a much better situation. I found most players online to be flakes who would come and go as they please.

I haven't played online in years, so maybe things have improved. But I think voice software would be better. One good thing about typing everything is that you can save everything into a .txt file so you'll have a log of everything that happened.

In short, I think the technology is decent but just not quite "there" yet. When tech gets to the point that you can see everyone and talk to them over your computer, with a means of displaying maps/die rolls/pictures etc. all linked together, then it'll be very good indeed. I'm sure the tech is there now, but it's just not properly packaged or easy enough to market to the masses. But the day of playing in-person online isn't too far off...

Last edited:

Remove ads