• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Only Players, no DM? and Question!

Leathros

First Post
First, my question, is this oficial material ? Home - DSP-d20-SRD

Second and more important, is there any software or manual to play adventures without a DM? i mean, i wanna play with my friend, but we can't find someone to master an adventure, so i was thinking if there's any way to make that happen.

Ty!!

Axel

First Post
In terms of "official" or not? The only "official" rules are those published by WoTC in big heavy books you can use to beat munchkins on the head with. That said, it's your game and you can use whatever rules you like. There are no rules about what rules to use. Make sense? :)

Re: No DM issues
If either you or your friend is not prepared to DM for the other then you have a big problem. D&D at its heart is collaborative storytelling, and devolving the narrator's role (DM) to a computer is a bad idea. You might as well just play Baldur's Gate, or Fallout, or some other computerised "role playing" game.

Depending on your geograhic position in the world (and relative to everyone else, more importantly) you may want to go check out a club night or store open night. Notice boards in shops selling D&D stuff are normally fairly good places to start.

There is also a gamers seeking gamers component to EN World. Maybe try there?

A final fallback position could be to investigate some of the play-by-post (PbP) games that ENWorld itself hosts. There are big lists of games wanting/needing players sitting around in this place.

Leathros

First Post
Maybe i didn't explain myself clearly

I know how to DM, and also my friend.

But the problem is that we want to play togheter as players.

Anyway, what u say its true, its a bad idea to develop that to a computer
Thx!

Maybe i didn't explain myself clearly

I know how to DM, and also my friend.

But the problem is that we want to play togheter as players.

Anyway, what u say its true, its a bad idea to develop that to a computer
Thx!
Having and playing a player character does not mean you can't DM as well. It is more difficult though since you have to make sure you aren't "gaming the game" so to speak. You have to keep the roles separate enough that they don't influence each other other than though the way play normally goes. If you're still iffy about playing a PC while DMing, treat the character as a cohort to the non-DM. That way you're balancing roles a bit better.

All you really need to do is make sure your friend is fine with the setup and make sure to keep talking on whether what's going on seems fair.

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
Second and more important, is there any software or manual to play adventures without a DM? i mean, i wanna play with my friend, but we can't find someone to master an adventure, so i was thinking if there's any way to make that happen.

Ty!!

Yes! Mythic Game Master Emulator. I have used this system to augment my own DMing as well as for solo game play. It is an excellent system and I cannot recommend it enough.

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
Exactly how does it works??

Here is a link to the review at RPG.net. The author gives a good description of how Mythic works as well as an example from his campaign. Rather than rewrite his review, I'll just sum up a few of the main points of the system.

The main driver of the system is the Fate Chart. The Fate Chart is a means by which "Yes/No" questions are resolved. It is a simple, percentile table that determines the odds of an event occuring (from "Impossible" to "Has to be") modified by the current Chaos Rank. It also allows for the possibility of "Exceptional Yes" and "Exceptional No" answers.

The Chaos Rank is a measure of how out of control the world around the PCs is. The higher the Chaos Rank the more likely a "Yes" answer will occur on the Fate Table.

Exceptional Yes/No results are, well, exceptional. They are the perfect answer for PC success or failure.

The second aspect of the system is the Random Events table. Each roll on the Fate Chart has a possbility of a random event occuring (the system details the specifics of this). Random events can include the introduction of a new NPC, the closing of a plot thread, a positive benefit for a PC, or even an ambiguous event whose true nature will be determined at a later point in time. This part of the system relies on the player's ability to interprete the rolls on the Event Focus and Event Meanings (Action and Subject) tables.

For use with D&D, I think that it is best to use random encounter tables (I personally like using D&D mini cards, found here) and random dungeon generators (like this one). Use the random dungeons and encounter tables to determine what is there and use the Mythic GME tables to determine why.

Hope that helps!

-JM

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads