• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Only thing I don't like so far: Power Replacement

hamishspence

Adventurer
roleplay

"if they wanted you to roleplay they would reward you for doing it" doesn't follow. If the only reason for roleplaying is reward, thats not much of a reason.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
hamishspence said:
"if they wanted you to roleplay they would reward you for doing it" doesn't follow. If the only reason for roleplaying is reward, thats not much of a reason.

The game punishes you for roleplaying.

Or, at best, does nothing about it and doesn't care if you do or not. Roleplaying has absolutely no effect on the system, and if you make systemic choices based on RP, then chances are you're making a suboptimal character and will be a drag on the party.

Fanaelialae

Legend
GnomeWorks said:
The game punishes you for roleplaying.

Or, at best, does nothing about it and doesn't care if you do or not. Roleplaying has absolutely no effect on the system, and if you make systemic choices based on RP, then chances are you're making a suboptimal character and will be a drag on the party.

The game is RP neutral. So what? Forcing a player to roleplay (by punishing or not rewarding them) when they don't want to isn't fun. I roleplay for fun, as do my players.

I own a lot of RPGs, but I haven't ever found one where making a suboptimal character isn't a drag on the party. That's practically the (RPG) definition of a suboptimal character. On the other hand, I've had players make decent characters who often make suboptimal decisions (aka, real CHARACTERS). ;) Therein, IMO, is where the RP gold lies, and while such characters will sometimes still be a burden on a party, they in no way compare to the drag created by a mechanically suboptimal character.

New players in my games are encouraged to roleplay by being involved in the game (which is often as simple as the other players asking them in character, "What do you think?"). They see other players interact with and influence the game world, and this generally motivates them to try as well.

I think the new edition does an excellent job of acknowledging that you cannot force players to roleplay (or at least that no good is likely to come of it). Nonetheless, any DM worth his or her salt can encourage them.

ConcreteBuddha

First Post
So I can name my character "Chunt the Flatulent" and my family was killed by orcs and be done with it. I wear a pink hat with peacock feathers and I forgot how to cast burning hands when I learned fireball. I have a peg leg, my tabard is neon orange, and I only speak with twelve words (yes, no, maybe, poppycock, cheese, one, wood, inconceivable, cow, moist, placate, roll). I run around in circles when I'm bored. I hate dwarves and will attack them on sight. I won't use weapons, and bracelets are too constraining (too much like the manacles the town sheriff uses when I get a little tipsy).

All because this game is like poker, and roleplaying decisions have absolutely nothing to do with the mechanics. Right.

Perhaps I want my roleplaying games to have some bearing on my roleplaying experience, and that playing chess, poker, Magic, and/or WoW in tabletop form is not really appealing to me. If the system doesn't make some concession to the fantasy worlds that we are pushing these characters through, then it is not an RPG, and is instead a board game, like Hero Quest.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads