[OOC] A Game of Trust

Vargo

First Post
I'd be willing to run Victus - just get me the stats, and I'll get rolling. I've already read the thread up to the latest page...

My first name is Thane
My last name is Walkup

I get broadband from attbi.com

my user name is my firstname and lastname as one word

so:

firstnamelastname@broadbandprovider.

Let's see the spammers harvest THAT sucker. :D

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Vargo: I'll send Victus along to you... It'll be nice to have someone else run him, as I keep forgetting he's there. You can jump in and pilot him during the current combat right away, if you choose.

Also, if you want to replace him with your own character at some point, feel free to do so. Just have him bow out appropriately, and whatever new character you have bow in appropriately.

dpdx: I can run Fendric for you, although I'd personally prefer if someone else did... He's one of the most vocal and decisive characters, so it would be odd for him to fall relatively silent, and I'm not really comfortable with taking over character decisions (I was really hesitant to take the ring from Niccolo, but I wanted it in played-character hands...) If someone else wants to take him over for you, I'd prefer that.

Last edited:

dpdx

Explorer
It's looking more and more like I may be able to run him myself during vacation, if the rest of the group doesn't mind the game slowing WAY down to like, two posts from F. a week. My wife's going to divorce me if I spend our anniversary on a computer. :)

But thanks for the offer, GP. I'll post a definitive answer here, after I check on the availability of net.cafes and things like net access in hotel rooms in Vegas.

Guilt Puppy

First Post
After this combat -- the first against multiple enemies, and the first where you were directly attacked -- I think you get sense of what my priorities in combat are... Mainly, to keep things moving, and to get through it quickly -- PbP combats can really drag, and I want to avoid that as much as possible.

Still, I don't want anyone to feel out of control of their characters, so it's a tough call on how much I want to interpret your intentions in order to, say, finish up a round quicker (rather than waiting for everyone to post.)

Basic questions:

- Did you feel you had a good grasp of the situation? I'm sure a map would have helped make things a little clearer, but was it clear enough that you felt like you could decide things?

- Did you feel in control of your character? I tried to keep everything backed up by posted intentions (except of course for Draven, who was in NPC mode), but it is a little bit less satisfying to have the DM swing your sword, even if it's what you want to do anyway. Again, the clear point of this was to shave some days off the out-of-game time, but do you think it's worth it, or do you think there are better ways of doing it?

- Was it boring? For the reason given above, or because it was too simple? Again, I'm trying to cut out some of the micro-tactics you might normally see in 3E, to save time... But if that just ends up making the combats a waste of time, well, hardly the point of it.

Anything else that comes into your head, let me know about that as well... Combat is (as I think you've gotten a sense for) not the driving role of this game (really, I don't think you can run a PbP game where it is, unless you have some really dedicated, patient people). But it still is bound to happen, and I want it to be more than just a delay-of-game... I can't say I'm dissatisfied with how this went (it certainly got resolved quick enough), but it did give me that unpleasant feeling of overstepping the DM's bounds here and there, so I wanted to put it on the table in case somebody has a better solution. (Or in case nobody wants a better solution. :) )

dpdx

Explorer
I'd have to say I was perfectly fine with how it went. I do have one observation, though. I felt just a little out of sync rolling two attacks at once, because I didn't know and couldn't account for what would happen if I killed the beast with my first blow.

But that's certainly not on you, GP. That's on me, I think. I appreciate the way you handled it, though.

So I'd say whatever works easiest for you is fine with me, and that you'll see the necessity for giving us more knowledge of the details of our situation when the situation calls for it.

At this stage of party-appropriate ECLs, a map hasn't seemed necessary, nor is knowing in advance what the opposition's armor class, position, or otherwise is. Since you've made it clear that you don't wish to know our stats in advance, it's only fair that we don't know those of our enemies.

I hope that helps.

dpdx

Explorer
Okay, innocuous question: if this game lasts past June/July, and I sincerely hope it does, am I gonna have to march right out and buy the 3.5 books?

Guilt Puppy

First Post
dpdx said:
Okay, innocuous question: if this game lasts past June/July, and I sincerely hope it does, am I gonna have to march right out and buy the 3.5 books?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: If the SRD covers enough that nobody would have to buy new books, and the changes aren't so drastic that changing over would make your characters suddenly able/unable to do significant things, then I might switch over. I don't intend to buy the new books, but I really agree with a lot of the changes made (the DR system and weapon familiarity are very similar to things I've house-ruled into my table-top games long ago...)

Regarding your suggestions for combat... I can definitely see giving out ACs and some similar info (SRs, DR) being helpful, so long as it doesn't give "too much" away (and also asking for the same info from you)... You'd also be freed from having to post so many rolls, so I don't get to gauge your abilities as much :) Although having your attack/damage stats was helpful (as it didn't force you to roll in excess), but I can't see demanding it, to keep things equal.

dpdx

Explorer
Ah. No wonder. :)

GP: No problem re: the combat data. I've been giving out Fendric's AC each combat, and if Fendric gets hit :), I'll give out HP and/or saves as well.

I've been keeping track of Fendric's stats with the Character Generator, which is obviously tuned to 3E. I'm not sure what happens to Clerics in 3.5, but my understanding from reading all the rumors is that Clerics don't get changed nearly as much as Rangers and Bards.

I'll probably buy the new books even if the SRD is complete, but since my budget is mostly set for the Star Wars stuff when it comes out, it may not be immediately after release, so I'll need to use the SRD for a while to the extent that it affects Fendric.

Last edited:

Vexed

First Post
back...(almost)

Hey!

I just got back from Vegas. And like dpdx I also need to spend some time with the sig other : ) so i will be posting to the "game thread" prob sunday. I read up on what happened, and looks like I leveled up to 2nd lvl. (Will have to do that before sunday, should be cool, but had a questions for GP).
*GP we only use the PHB correct? Can we use anything from Dragon?

I have no problem with how the combat was handled. I have a suggestion about the "two attacks" scenario. If you hit the first time and kill the creature. Then the second attack also hits, maybe if you are within 5' of another creature you just hit that creature also? In most situations I feel GP would have a grasp on what we would normally do etc. I dont have a problem with GP doing whatever with my character in combat, it helps speed things up, i can post what my attacks, damage dice, and intent are, then watch from there.

Regarding 3.5 i personally support it. I will be buying the books the day they come out. (Setting aside a fund for it now), so if there is any questions i can post whatever rules they have in the books regarding stuff, etc. We can go over that in detail here if that is cool with everyone. General questions etc. And they should have the srd up also, but just saying I will have the books as soon as they are available up here, so that will be an option : )

Remove ads