• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OOC - Gardens and the Graves - Recruiting! See post #127!

hafrogman

Adventurer
As a clerical caster, do I get cleric domains and domain spells and domain powers?

Also, do we have an era in mind? Is this going to be standard DnD era, or Victorian England (like the Nutcracker) or modern era or what?

Finally, XP. . . exactly 10th? Any over for crafting? If not, can we spend down to 9th?

Last edited:

Ashy

First Post
Isida Kep'Tukari said:
That would be correct. You guys are going to be using the finest magic available in the multiverse, and with extra power too... ;)

Sounds waaaaay too good to be true.... :p

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Era will be D&D standard, XP will be 3,000 over the minimum for 10th. For clerical caster, yes, you get to choose two domains and get domain spells. Just give me some reason why you chose those domains.

Also, though probably you guys won't be doing any physical fighting, that doesn't mean you can't have gifts to give to worthy mortals, or take feats to enchant ancestral swords or something. If you want to.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Isida Kep'Tukari said:
Era will be D&D standard, XP will be 3,000 over the minimum for 10th. For clerical caster, yes, you get to choose two domains and get domain spells. Just give me some reason why you chose those domains.

Hmmm, 9th level spells :cool:

So, are we going to be mostly convincing mortals to do good deeds & combat evil or are we going to be fireballing (or in my case, cone cooling) the nasties?

This is an exageration, but this will definitely affect my spell selection. I don't want to be a damage dealing sprite if we are mostly dealing with intrigue. The opposite is also true.

Also, is frost at will the same as ray of frost at will (i.e. 0 level spell).
Do immortal fey have families (parents, siblings) or are they just created by nature (they simply appear and are concious)?

Did I already mention: hmmm, 9th level spells :cool:

Cheers,

SG

hafrogman

Adventurer
Isida Kep'Tukari said:
Era will be D&D standard.

. . . darn. There goes my plan for having a ceramic garden gnome construct to watch over my mushroom patch in my absence.

Attachments

• gnome.JPG
    gnome.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 82

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Occasionally you will be called upon to combat nasties with magic. However, the majority of your magic could be taken up with things for intrigue, misdirection, or other strange things. Just remember that while you may be invisible to most people, your magic is not. So... you may want to mostly pick spells for things other than combat, but it wouldn't hurt to keep a disintegrate or two in your back pocket.

As for frost at will... it's mostly to make pretty frost patterns and whatnot, and to chill things, but yeah, basically it's ray of frost. Good for giving people cold feet. ;)

And yes, you could have parents, sibilings, and family. You were born... several thousand years ago by human reckoning, but you were born. So feel free to make up friends. You might be buddies with the puffball mushroom in the next garden, or perhaps you occasionally ride a friendly bunny rabbit around the square, or maybe your mother is the grand oak tree in the graveyard.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Isida Kep'Tukari said:
And yes, you could have parents, sibilings, and family. You were born... several thousand years ago by human reckoning, but you were born. So feel free to make up friends. You might be buddies with the puffball mushroom in the next garden, or perhaps you occasionally ride a friendly bunny rabbit around the square, or maybe your mother is the grand oak tree in the graveyard.

Thanks Isida,

But tell me, aren't we a bit uber powerful for garden spirits? This is by no means a complaint, I'm just trying to figure things out. I mean, if I look at what my character can do, I think he'd be friends with the mushroom queen :p
But seriously, do all gardens have feys that can cast 9th level spells?
If so, what are the bad folks like?

I'm just trying to picture where we fit. As for the age, 2000 y/o is a lot of history (this would be a very complex character). Could it be possible to be a tad younger than that? The character could have been brought up in a distant land (maybe in an elven kingdom or whatnot). The family that it now guards has a hint of elven blood, and are descendents of the family the fey was protecting back in the old days. Or, alternatively, the charater cold be very young, maybe the offspring of an ancient spirit. The character would know its purpose, but very little of the world (I like this, because it would make the history simple).

What do you think?

Thanks and cheers,

SG

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Probably outlining the campaign would help now wouldn't it? ;)

Your family, the Rashaan, has fey blood running through their veins. Unlike most of their type, they did not retreat to the wilderness and hinterlands as civilization advanced, but instead embraced city life. Them and the very few like them are responsible for allowing fey power to stay in the land, even when cobblestones and buildings outnumber the trees and glades. Their presence prevents destruction of the last remaining places sacred to the fey, such as pools, dryad trees, and fairy rings.

In this world, as civilization advanced, magic has retreated, and only the few willing to devote their lives to study could tap it. In game terms this means that while magic is not unknown even to peasents, it's only practiced by a few. Adepts, druids, and clerics far outnumber wizards, but even then you're more likely to see an adept responsible for several villages, or a handful of druids guarding a forest. Clerics are plentiful only in comparison.

You are some of the most powerful spirits left amongst the cities. If the Rashaan are killed, or their blood corrupted, more places sacred to the fey will be plowed under, cut down, or made into wells. And whilst you have great power, you still are only visible to those with a pure heart. Prolifiigate use of magic to manipulate others will bring unwelcome attention, particularly from the Unseen Realms. It is better to help guide and support the Rashaan that try to go willy-nilly all over the city spending magic like water.

And if you want to go with a more recently-born guardian, feel free! Someone is going to have to be an old hat at this, but several others could be more recently arrived to the Rashaan's gardens.

Last edited:

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Isida Kep'Tukari said:
Probably outlining the campaign would help now wouldn't it? ;)

Your family, the Rashaan, has fey blood running through their veins. Unlike most of their type, they did not retreat to the wilderness and hinterlands as civilization advanced, but instead embraced city life. Them and the very few like them are responsible for allowing fey power to stay in the land, even when cobblestones and buildings outnumber the trees and glades. Their presence prevents destruction of the last remaining places sacred to the fey, such as pools, dryad trees, and fairy rings.

Hey Isida,

Thanks for the info.
OK, so are the Rashaan active in their protection of fey power, or is it their mere existence that preserves this power?

Also, I'm almost done with my character. Could we have an RG to post them.

Last question: are the fairies restricted to the wizard/sorcerer spell list? I wouldn't mind having a few animal friendship and healing spells.

I can't wait to start this :D
Cheers,

SG

Last edited:

Remove ads