• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(OOC) Scourge of Daggerford (Full)

gargoyleking

Adventurer
I like Cheese Wiz.

But that’s no different than the Hexblade, making Cha the attack stat, or the Artificer, making ain’t the attack stat. And anyone could have made a Cheese Wiz Ranger by getting the Magic initiate Feat. So I don’t see the issue there.
Between all the alternative class features they're offering, you could quickly go nuts with a Ranger based off of Wisdom over strength or Dex.

tglassy

Adventurer
I like a lot of the spell list expansions. They seem generally pretty reasonable. Not a huge fan of letting everyone rework their known spells after every rest. Just kind of cheapens the main attraction of being a Wizard, I think. Though, Warlocks probably do need the help. But mainly I think Warlocks just need 'slightly' more spell slots than we get.

Also, I put this in the thread talking about this UA, but I don't think it cheapens anything the Wizard can do.

First, Bards, Sorcerers and Warlocks only get 2 spells at lvl 1 and 15 at lvl 20. That isn't a lot. Wizards know any 6 at lvl 1, and can prepare up to 6 depending on Int, and they can prepare up to 25 at lvl 20 and can know all of them. Plus having access to every one of their rituals without having to prepare them with their spells book. And they can switch out all of their spells every long rest.

This new UA would give Bards, Sorcerers and Warlocks the ability to switch one of their spells every long rest. It essentially means they "Know" all their spells, like a Cleric or Paladin, but can still only prepare a very, very small number, much less than the Wizard can. And they can only switch out one of them per long rest.

But the fact that they Know all their spells actually makes sense. Sorcerers and Bards (who I always looked at as basically being an alternate Sorcerer, ever since 3.5 made both of them pre-reqs for the Red Dragon Disciple) perform their magic based on instinct, not learning. It would make sense that with a little prep, they'd be able to switch out whatever magic they want. No where near as much flexibility as a Wizard, who has a whole book of spells to choose from and can pick them all willy nilly. But if a Sorcerer knew they were going to need to fly the next day, and spent some time practicing his magic the day before, learning how to change their usual use of magic from speeding people up (Haste) to making them fly (Fly), then they'd be ready to go the next day. The Wizard can have both prepared and still have more spells prepared than the Sorcerer.

And for Warlocks it makes even more sense, because they have a Patron who is above 9th level. They can simply commune with their patron, to learn a different spell, but they can only keep so many in their head at any one time, because it's hard. So when they learn they need to fly, they tell their Patron, and their Patron shows them how to Fly, but can't keep that and Major Illusion in their head. It's why they need to rest so often. Everything is memorized, instead of being on instinct. (I know I've been playing Titus mostly on instinct, but I figure that's just for the first few levels, since he didn't know his Patron.)

It doesn't break anything, but it allows a player to fix a mistaken spell, without having to wait until a lvl up, which takes six months to a year in Play by Post. And it gives them a little more versatility, which they were all sorely lacking.

tglassy

Adventurer
Between all the alternative class features they're offering, you could quickly go nuts with a Ranger based off of Wisdom over strength or Dex.

Again, that's nothing that Magic Initiate - Druid couldn't have done. And you still need Dex for AC. At least a 14, more if going Light armor.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I am okay with the spell switching from a fluff and power-level standpoint. I'm a little concerned for it in a purely gamist logistical level, but I think just because you can change every rest does not mean that you will. I guess it could cause a bit of Swiss-army spell casting (a bit like the playtest mystic) where the characters always seem to have just what they need at the right time, but that also avoids the opposite: the frustration of having picked just the wrong thing for the adventure.

I pretty much always let people rebuild on level-up if they like, so that's all fine by me.

tglassy

Adventurer
I don't think it'll be used often. The Warlock spell list is pretty small, and so far I've been satisfied with what I can do. Having only two spell slots limits things quite a bit. Once Titus gets lvl 3 spells, which will be a while, then there might be some shuffling around if he knows what he's going in to before a fight, but it has to be on a long rest, not a short one, so it's not like the Mystics who always had something at all times. There has to be some prep. And either way, there's only two spell slots. It's why I still want to beef up my Ritual Caster list. I have the feat, I may as well use it.

Although...if I get the money and have some downtime, can I switch my spells to the ones on my list that are Rituals and record them in my book, so I don't have to keep them prepared? The only ones on the Warlock spell list are Comprehend Languages, Illusary Script and Unseen Servant. I'd only have the money to do two of them during this downtime, unless I get more somehow. The only other ritual on the Warlock list is Contact Other Planes, and that's a 5th lvl spell that I won't be getting for quite some time.

Also, I loved the way the story went. The idea of being a Thayan double agent is intriguing. I did actually take some time to think if I just wanted Titus to be a BattleMaster with a few Warlock levels, but I feel that Titus would want to go further down the rabbit hole to see where it goes.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I thought you'd go that way, but I think it's worth considering. Honestly, the post was far different than what I'd intended even a day or two ago. I expected your Uncle to be all about trying to shut you off, and you going off on your own with it. This just happened as he thought about it. I wanted to write him wise, not so close-minded as a lot of 'wise' people are portrayed in fiction.

tglassy

Adventurer
It was a good choice. Very flavorful, and makes some interesting role play later.

I looked ahead, and as a Battlemaster, especially with the new options, Titus could be great. He'd be a powerful Noble, able to talk his way into or out of anything (a new Maneuver uses the Superiority Die on Charisma Checks), and basically be a powerhouse at close combat. Start off as a Wolf, then when that's done, he brings out the real guns, tripping people left and right.

But if he goes that route, he's just a Noble Fighter again, helping the team because reasons. Opening himself up to the Patron creates so much potential for later.

gargoyleking

Adventurer
I kind of prefer Noble Fighter Titus, but you do you. I do think one more fighter level to lock in that Battlemaster would be amazing though, the one I'm playing in another game is pretty powerful on the control side.

tglassy

Adventurer
I kind of prefer Noble Fighter Titus, but you do you. I do think one more fighter level to lock in that Battlemaster would be amazing though, the one I'm playing in another game is pretty powerful on the control side.

I just couldn’t get in to it as a Fighter. One of these days, I need a Fighter with a good backstory and a good motivation, but when I was playing as just a Fighter, I cane close to bugging out. I’m glad I didn’t, and now I’m very interested in how it all works out. I’ve played non magic classes before. I just made Titus very one dimensional, and having him go a Warlock brought me back to him.

I fully expect him to die at some point. He’s gone down every single fight. It’s been interesting to have that be the catalyst that drove him to magic.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads