• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(OOC) Scourge of Daggerford (Full)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
@Prickly Pear
Readied actions take place after the trigger event. So, If you say, "I ready to shoot if the wizard attacks" (and if @FitzTheRuke allows your trigger to go off even though wizard didn't technically attack - although, you could have just as easily designated 'if the wizard casts a spell' so it feels like semantics to me), you have to attack after the spell is cast - so he'd be invisible when the attack happens.

Edit: But since Escella counterspelled the spell, he never actually went invisible, so your attack goes off without a hitch.
Good to know. That's what I thought, but it's been awhile since I've seen this somewhat rare occasion. I'm definitely the type of DM who is not going to nit-pick on word choices. Invisibilty is not an attack, but Lionel could probably barely tell the difference. I think I once used the ready action as a halfling rogue with the trigger, "If he wiggles'is nose or wha-e'er they do when they're a' castin', I'm gonna shoot'im!"

Insightful Fighting will certainly recognize that a wizard is about to cast, and is vulnerable. At any rate, yeah. Escella countered the invisibilty before it went off (based on the fluff we've used for her, magical abilities, she probably doesn't even quite know how she's doing it - more like she "feels" the magic he's gathering around him, and "steals" it/throws it away.)

@Prickly Pear

Readied actions take place after the trigger event. So, If you say, "I ready to shoot if the wizard attacks" (and if @FitzTheRuke allows your trigger to go off even though wizard didn't technically attack - although, you could have just as easily designated 'if the wizard casts a spell' so it feels like semantics to me), you have to attack after the spell is cast - so he'd be invisible when the attack happens.

Edit: But since Escella counterspelled the spell, he never actually went invisible, so your attack goes off without a hitch.
Even if she didn't counter it, you don't wait for the wizard to FINISH the spell, you attack when he STARTS casting - before the completion. Otherwise, what's the point?

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
You've probably already noticed, but I'm unable to keep up with my PbP posts. It seems I just cannot get the time to post; either work or my family take up too much of my time.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to drop out. I really enjoyed playing with you guys and girls, and I don't really want to quit, but I don't see things changing for me in the short term.

Feel free to do with my character as the DM sees fit.

So long, and thanks for all the fish fun!

You've probably already noticed, but I'm unable to keep up with my PbP posts. It seems I just cannot get the time to post; either work or my family take up too much of my time.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to drop out. I really enjoyed playing with you guys and girls, and I don't really want to quit, but I don't see things changing for me in the short term.

Feel free to do with my character as the DM sees fit.

So long, and thanks for all the fish fun!
That's too bad.

Would it be easier to post rolls and actions? Then let the dm fill in the fluff? "My character attacks" then link a roll.

I find, that when I'm too busy to post, I just post something quick, then fill in the description later or let the dm narrate the result of the dice roll. Of course, over the long term, you might not feel as engaged if that's all you're doing but it could be a temporary solution.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Thanks for the bump! I just couldn't find time to roll the round while travelling. I got home yesterday, but had to gather pets and do a lot of laundry. Today is New Stock Day (and running my IRL game) so... Tomorrow? I will do my best to get this done! It's been on my mind!

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
@MetaVoid -- Hi. I'm moving this to the OOC thread, so it doesn't clutter the game.
You have stats for enemies in DMs post
War Leader Noryeghu AC16 HP 58/90 PP14* so 16 is a hit (if there are no modifiers)
Thank you for pointing this out. I understand how the game works.

What I'm saying is that I think I miss, and that's how I would rule it. We all police ourselves to a large extent in pbp, and we already get a lot of advantage from initiative-by-order-of-posting.

I'm trying to shoot into melee, and the rules for that in 5e are weak. The only statement in the PHB is the rule for cover (which I referenced), according to which I would miss. I checked to see if Vairar was leaving space for others to join, and you were explicit he did not. If he had moved, I would have been able to move up and attack with a clearer shot, and sneak attack would have been applicable to the Shaman. This is the same problem we had on the stairs getting here.

Hope that helps!

@MetaVoid -- Hi. I'm moving this to the OOC thread, so it doesn't clutter the game.

Thank you for pointing this out. I understand how the game works.

What I'm saying is that I think I miss, and that's how I would rule it. We all police ourselves to a large extent in pbp, and we already get a lot of advantage from initiative-by-order-of-posting.

Sorry, I didn't mean to explain AC to you :) I just pointed out there is a spoiler under the map. When I joined, I didn't use it, focused mostly on the map and description.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads